Forum Administrator

Frank Lampard: Legend.

1,098 posts in this topic

On 12/25/2016 at 10:10 PM, Michael Tucker said:

Very short bursts, if that. Won't happen - thankfully.

If Conte doesn't want him- it won't happen. If Mikel and Fabragas stay- it won't happen. If they leave and Conte wants him- it will happen. Do you have some kind of inside info or are you just very confident with your own conclusions?

I am guessing that Conte won't want him because he no longer has the pace to play counter-attacking football, which is what we are largely doing. So he won't fit in.

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Do you have some kind of inside info or are you just very confident with your own conclusions?

I'm confident that it won't happen. Which is what I said. OK?

If it was going to happen, I suspect he would already be training with us. As far as I can tell, he isn't

I think Frank could still do a very decent job for somebody. Just not us. He would get less game time than Oscar, so why frustrate the legend?

On 12/28/2016 at 8:04 PM, Michael Tucker said:

I'm confident that it won't happen. Which is what I said. OK?

Na, you said it "wont happen" rather than you are confident it won't happen. Similar but a bit different. I thought you may have had a bit of inside info that we weren't privy to about him not coming,  but all clear now. And your probably right, he won't come, certainly not if Mikel and/or Fabragas stay.

However here's my viewpoint. 

A short while ago when he left NYC I casually mentioned on here that we could do worse than sign him up for 5 months. I was at that point slapped around the face, told to snap out of it and stop being such a bloody fool. As I nursed my bruised ego and red face, low and behold I see SLF at the Bridge in deep conversation with Conte and then he goes on national TV saying that "ideally I'd like to finish my playing career at Chelsea but of course it doesn't depend on me". So he wants to come back! So I bring the subject up again and I'm given another pasting!  You then write a post saying "it won't happen- thankfully".  So I'm thinking 'he's a footballer, he hasn't got the plague. Can he play a worse part than Mikel for us right now?'

I think we all agree that Frank is quite a smart cookie, indeed management material. He has intimate knowledge of this league and what it needs physically from a player. I'm assuming if he's smart he knows his own body and where he is at. He also is aware of his legend status within this club.  Not to put too fine a point on it Michael, and not wishing to disrespect or offend you in anyway,  I trust Lampards judgement on this subject more than yours. Is he living in the past, is he in dreamland, is he deluded, is his judgement completely flawed? Maybe it is, but if this is the case I don't want him anywhere near my club as a future manager. 

On 12/28/2016 at 6:48 PM, Sciatika said:

I am guessing that Conte won't want him because he no longer has the pace to play counter-attacking football, which is what we are largely doing. So he won't fit in.

Not even as a squad member? I don't think we have a team of greyhounds right now. Pedro, Hazard , and Willian are mighty quick, especially with the ball at their feet . What we need are players who can deliver the ball to these type of advanced midfielders (and of course Costa) in the blink of an eye and release them. That could be a 60 yard Luiz special, or and intricate defense splitting ball from Fabragas. But I haven't seen many devastating breakaways involving Matic running the length of the pitch at lightening pace, and I wouldn't expect to see that from Lampard. We all know the speed of thought he has and his passing range so why couldn't we utilize it. Can he play 90 mins at prem pace? Most probably not. Could he play 25? Of course he could. Could he play 90 mins against Peterborough in the cup? Probably.  

I'm not being over sentimental here. I'm not visualizing Frank coming on in injury time in the final game of the season and then scoring the penalty that wins us the title. I seriously think he could do a decent job for us as a squad player and as cover for Matic/conte if needed.  

Don't get me wrong, SFL is one of my favourite all-time players and my overall favourite post millenium player. Yes, he could do 20 minutes. He could probably play a deep-lying Pirlo-esque role. However, as much as I love Frank, for me, Fabregas would be first choice for that. I am not saying I wouldn't be pleased if he came back. I would support him. But, given the choice, I would prefer to see one of the younger lads get the game time especially in the cup.

20 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Don't get me wrong, SFL is one of my favourite all-time players and my overall favourite post millenium player. Yes, he could do 20 minutes. He could probably play a deep-lying Pirlo-esque role. However, as much as I love Frank, for me, Fabregas would be first choice for that. I am not saying I wouldn't be pleased if he came back. I would support him. But, given the choice, I would prefer to see one of the younger lads get the game time especially in the cup.

Completely agree with the Fabragas thing and have said so repeatedly. In my eyes Fabragas would have to be sold before we entertain getting SLF back here. Also in my eyes Fabragas needs to stay because he gives us a great plan B and can be here for 5 more years. The other issue that might need mentioning is that SLF and Fab do not and have never 'got on'. I don't know if they have kissed and made up but I wouldn't want to risk dressing room harmony or any other nonsense right now.