• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Frank Lampard: Legend.

29 minutes ago, chelsea_matt said:

Wonderful to have you back James - the forum is a poorer place without you. And yes, I really do mean that.

Yes. Forums without different opinions and different personalities are boring places.

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Surely Lampard has scored many many great goals, but nothing compares to he incredible Barca one from the corner flag.  Nothing.

(good to see another legend back too)

Genuinely one of the greatest goals I have ever seen. 

chara   
1 hour ago, chelsea_matt said:

Wonderful to have you back James - the forum is a poorer place without you. And yes, I really do mean that.

I second that....

On 2/3/2017 at 2:13 PM, Sleeping Dave said:

Cheers!

But what a hard question to answer. There's so many angles to consider. Importance of the goal, technical execution, sheer power or what type of crowd reaction it created. 

Technically there's three that stand out to me. The half turn volley against Bayern, the byline curl at the Nou Camp and the outrageous chip away to Hull. 

Importance it's hard to look beyond the 2-0 goal at the Reebok in 2005.

But there's so many to chose from. A lot of long distance beauties as well. What about that winner against Stoke at home in the 93rd minute in 2008/09? A ferocious left footed drive that almost blew the goal away. It's a goal that just disappears when compared to all the other 210 goals he scored but what a crowd reaction it was. Everyone at the Bridge went absolutely mental! 

Or how the crowd spilled over on the pitch after he broke the record at Villa Park. What a feeling! People went crazy! 

I'm feeling very nostalgic right now and even though I'm sure this feeling will abide over time, supporting a Chelsea without Lampard just feels a bit less exciting. When JT hangs up his boots four of the biggest players in our history will have left - Lamps, JT, Drogba and Cech. All four would easily be in my top five of best ever Chelsea players. In that order with Zola at fifth. 

The Nou Camp one is ridiculous not just for the execution and cheek of it, but the fact that he had such a tiny target to aim for. Probably a 10 degree window to work with. Unreal.

My favorite is the Hull one though. First time, left-footed, from the edge of the box. You could try that a 100 times and not come close.

Forgot about that Stoke goal. I remember going absolutely insane when he scored. The most hilarious thing about that goal was the fact that Ballack tried to claim it! 

Villa and Bolton away are others that will never be forgotten. 

Sciatika   

Top 5 for me:

Pen against LFC after his Mum died (still gives me goosebumps)

the Nou Camp Chip from line (according to JT, he used to practice that)

the Bayern (swivel and score),

Bolton (win the league),

Everton (FA Cup final winner),

Honourable mentions to

Everton (come from behind to make it 2-2 and Drogba sealing the winner)

Stoke in the 94th minute,

the Hull chip,

converting a Sam Hutchinson cross.

And let's not forget the assists - the pass to Drogba that split the Man City defence, the pass to Rami against Barce in 2012, Or to Drogba in the ManU FA Cup final,

paulw66   

Often forgotten, but the technique for his goal at home to Lazio was incredible. Ball rolling back and across him and first time, popped into the top corner. 

The Bayern swivel goal was one of my favourites - had it been scored by Rooney we would have seen it a million times again. 

The goal against Barca, well........it just annoys me when people ask if he meant it. 

chara   
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:20 PM, Sleeping Dave said:

One of the worlds best midfielders of his generation, the best English midfielder any living person can remember, the best player to have ever graced the Premier League and without a doubt Chelsea's best ever player. A true gentleman and a credit to his family and the club. When he scored against us the Chelsea fans sang his name and gave him an ovation. His reaction? Tears. 

The crowd reaction when he broke our goal scoring record at Villa Park( as a midfielder!) - carnage. When he captained us in our greatest ever night in Munich. When he won us the league. Twice. When he won us the cup. The time when he finished second in the Ballon D'Or after an outrageously good Ronaldinho. The penalty against Liverpool in the Champions League only days after his mum passed. The countless of goals he's scored and the equally impressive number of assists he racked up. 

Three league titles, one champions league, one Europa league, four FA cups, two league cups and 106 England caps. Between 2004 and 2006 he was the best player in the world together with Ronaldinho. 

He was truly unique and overshadowed anything the red tops could line up. People debated who was best between Lampard and Gerrard. In truth it was not even a contest. Frank won hands down - both as a player and as a man. 

We'll talk about him 100 years from now. There will never be a midfielder like him ever again. That much is certain. 211 Chelsea goals... As a midfielder. It's so crazy you can hardly believe it unless you witnessed it yourself. If he doesn't get a statue outside the new ground it'll be a disgrace of epic proportions. 

Take a bow Frank. What a career you've had.

Edit: oh and perhaps the most impressive stat of them all, scoring double figures for ten straight seasons in the Premier League between 2003/04 to 2012/13. 130 PL goals... Read that again and think about what it actually means. It's not human. It's out of this world. It's fantasy. Only it actually happened. ****ing hell. Even I'm getting impressed all over again just reading of his accomplishments never mind living through them. What a ****ing legend.

Steven Gerrard? Who?!?

Great post Dave...I always remember the Liverpool penalty after the passing of his Mother....I think every Chelsea heart was behind him before and after the strike.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:13 AM, Sleeping Dave said:

I'm feeling very nostalgic right now and even though I'm sure this feeling will abide over time, supporting a Chelsea without Lampard just feels a bit less exciting. When JT hangs up his boots four of the biggest players in our history will have left - Lamps, JT, Drogba and Cech. All four would easily be in my top five of best ever Chelsea players. In that order with Zola at fifth. 

I know you are old enough (sorry!) to go back further but its a football fact of life that great players age and move on..meant kindly..and I'm sure we can go back to similar groups maybe not quite as distinguished as your names but just as missed and revered

Osgood Cooke Mcreadie Nevin Dixon Tambing Bonetti and  more  a long list......not meant to be definitive but examples.

1 hour ago, chara said:

Great post Dave...I always remember the Liverpool penalty after the passing of his Mother....I think every Chelsea heart was behind him before and after the strike.

I know you are old enough (sorry!) to go back further but its a football fact of life that great players age and move on..meant kindly..and I'm sure we can go back to similar groups maybe not quite as distinguished as your names but just as missed and revered

Osgood Cooke Mcreadie Nevin Dixon Tambing Bonetti and  more  a long list......not meant to be definitive but examples.

Well I can only go as far back as John Spencer, Mark Stein and Frank Sinclair. Can't say I'm feeling overly sad to not being able to watch them play!!!;)

But I'm absolutely seeing where you're coming from. Time heals all wounds! 

kev61   

He is the only player that ranks tops, with Bryon Robson in a central midfield position IMO.The next tier down includes Gerrard Scholes and Keane.