• Current Donation Goals

Forum Administrator

Frank Lampard: Legend.

Haven't read the other posts yet but I'm sure they will all echo the same thoughts as mine.

This man, Frank Lampard, is THE very definition of what it is to be a legend. Truly sad to see him go but I believe it is the right time as I don't think he was able to really contribute for us any more, not through any fault of his own but just the wear and tear of time and age... it catches up with even the very best in the end.

So many legendary moments, so many fabulous Lampard Chelsea memories we will treasure and cherish forever...

We were truly blessed to have this man and this player be part of our club for so long. I look forward to him being brought back in hopefully a coaching role at some stage in the future as I believe he will be an excellent role model for young players as he was throughout his career.

I'm actually in New York right now and they will be very lucky to have him.

A genuine legend. Arguably the greatest player in the entire history of the club.

#ThankYouLamps

I've been thinking of a fitting tribute to Lampard and I think I've made up my mid of what I would like to see happen.

A statue of Lampard, Terry, Cech and Drogba somewhere outside of MHL/ST corner or WS/SE would be nice. Then west and east stands names after JT and Frank.

I love that idea. The statue part simply MUST happen. The thought of the 4 of them together sends chills down my spine.

Would like Ash to get a look in too but not sure he's quite in that rarified Chelsea air, though certainly a breath away at most.

Lovely post, Harry - and great to hear from you again.

Yeah it was wasn't it.

Jon9344   

Gutted to see Frank leaving us, he has provided us with so many memories.

Without a doubt, deserving of the term 'LEGEND'.

You will be missed Frank, good luck for your future venture.

paulw66   

When Abramovich arrived, Rio Ferdinand told Frank he'd struggle to get in the team with all the superstars Roman was going to buy. No matter who came, Frank was still always first on the teamsheet. Which says as much about Rio as it does Frank, but it says everything about Frank.

Last year I got invited to the CPO dinner a year on from the Champions League win, where Frank was the special guest, being interviewed by Cundy about each stage of the run to the final. I got a bit bored tbh because I went to most games of the run and I wasn't hearing anything that I hadn't already seen.

They took a break after going through the group-stage games and out of desperation I submitted a question that I didn't think for a minute would get answered. Everyone knew what happened in the 2nd leg at home to Napoli, but I wanted to know about the team meeting ahead of the first leg where AVB chose to drop Frank and Ashley. What was going on ahead of that 1st leg? Much to my surprise, Cundy asked the question.

Frank said he knew AVB had his own ideas, so he wasn't that surprised when he got called in to see Andre and was told he wasn't starting the game. Cundy asked Frank what he replied when he was told. "I said: 'Are you ****ing sure?'". But like he said, he was half-expecting it so he just had to take it. It was only after he got out of the meeting and saw the team sheet, only to discover Ash had been dropped too. "You don't go into a big European away game and drop the best left back in the world and replace him with Bosingwa!"

At the end of the dinner, Frank and Bobby Tambling made themselves available for autographs until everyone had been seen. Frank had an enormous crowd of people around him - a lot probably 20 years older than him - pushing in to get his autograph, like a gaggle of schoolgirls. Some people were monopolising Bobby Tambling, probably trying to tell him their life story. I'm not really into that kind of thing, but after a while when most of the crowd had gone I thought I'd get an autograph from Frank.

I didn't know what to say that he probably hadn't already heard 100 times that night. I just said I was really glad he'd got the goals record and a new contract, because it was just about the only thing keeping some of us going in that Benitez season. He was his usual polite self and thanked me. I said: no Frank, it was the ONLY thing keeping some of us going. To me, it really was.

This season, it's different. Jose is back and he'll deal with the hand-over from the old Chelsea to the new one. Frank's done his time and we're in good hands. The end of an era.

I went to that evening. I didn't think it was possible for Frank to rise any higher in my opinion of him, but he did after that evening. Stayed for a good hour after he had done is bit to allow everyone to get autographs and photos. Absolute gent.

I need to stop thinking about this, it is making me sad.

From a purely selfish point of view I'm gutted that I've never been able to meet the man in person, him now leaving the Club with make that a lot harder to achieve!

Am certain that he'll return to the Club in some form in the future, believe he has all the attributes to be a top manager if he decides to go down that path.

Certainly think that he should have a statue in his honour too.

Has done so much for this Club and will be sorely missed.

I don't really have anything new to say as others have expressed themselves so eloquently.

But like others I feel he was without question the very greatest player to represent us and our club. We will never see his like again.

On a negative note, I feel somewhat let down (again) by the way this was managed by the club. Surely they must have known weeks ago that they weren't offering a new deal? If Frank had been informed, he could have put out that statement before the end of the season and we would have had our chance to say goodbye, but more than anything we could have said thanks.

The big, emotional send off we and more importantly he deserved...

On a negative note, I feel somewhat let down (again) by the way this was managed by the club. Surely they must have known weeks ago that they weren't offering a new deal?

I'm not sure. I said a few weeks back in the transfer thread that I felt Lampard's future might be indicative of who the club felt sure they could bring in this summer. At the time Lampard seemed odds on to sign for another year, and I thought that might be an indication that no home grown replacement was deemed as realistically achievable.

When the New York City FC story broke on Sunday, my first thoughts were a) where does he go in the mean time and b) what home grown player have we got lined up?

Usually I believe that these things have been planned well in advance, but I can imagine Frank being happy for a casual, informal relationship at this stage in his career. Perhaps it really is a recent decision based on another player become somewhat unexpectedly available?

Frankie Lampard

Frankie Lampard

Frankie Lampard

Scored 200 against the Pikeys...

Frankie Lampard

Says it all. 212 goals.

We'll be singing that in 50 years time, same as we sing Born is the King of Stamford Bridge.

Frank, thanks: it's been an honour and a privilege. And a pleasure.