• Current Donation Goals

Bridgejunky

Official: Cesc Fabregas Leaves For Monaco

GURJ SS   

Lets not mistake his lack of physical power for defensive weakness. He's exceptional at pressing and positioning himself. While he may not be able to muscle guys off the ball, he can generally keep his side of the pitch tidy, as long as the defensive structure is intact. That his side of the pitch is usually disjointed and on the retreat isn't his fault.

We play 4-2-3-1 because of Hazard, not Fabregas. That way, Hazard has lots of guys around him and doesn't have to do a lot of defensive work, something that would change radically if he was deployed as the left winger in a 4-3-3. More space, yes, but also less of the ball and muuuuuch more tracking back. They'd be able to isolate him easier, too.

Fabregas would be ideal in the #10 position, if we had a midfielder next to Matic that could distribute and also keep up the pressing. Ramires can press, to an extent, but not distribute. Mikel is rubbish at pressing, but a solid passer (if not a particularly offensive one). RLC isn't a realistic option at the moment.

Fabregas plays deeper, because otherwise he wouldn't see the ball. If you could get the ball to him in the hole, we're suddenly a completely different team (as he could play in Costa, the RW and Hazard at will).

The ideal solution would have been Pogba. But there's plenty of options that would have helped (although, in an ideal world we'd get 3 CMs like that, as Mikel and Ramires aren't up to it, then you'd have Fabs and Oscar as #10s).

I'm really not, if he was so great at pressing and positioning himself, there would be nothing to discuss. But he gets caught on the wrong side of the ball and struggles to get into position when we are being countered. His side of the pitch is normally disjointed because he is causing it, you can't seriously say that Ivan and Willian don't put themselves about. Fabregas struggles at central midfield, maybe he has got used to not defending from his days as a fake number 9.

I reckon 4:3:3; would benefit Hazard more then 4:2:3:1; just like it used to benefit Robben and Duff. Difference with 4:4:3; is that the two box to box mids can help out the full backs or DM depending on the opositions attack, while the 2 wingers can come back slower and assess the situation(if they can counter quickly or need to sit back).

What you are asking for alongside Matic is a Fabregas who is able to defend, which is Koke. So we need a upgrade on Fabregas, which is why I'm hoping we are keeping tabs on Koke.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Fabregas is a poor player, but he represents in his position the same problem that Mata did in his. Both are great players, but there are players who can do what they can and some more.

Atleast for now, I think Oscar and Fabregas need to be switched around, I feel that they would be better suited to each others roles.

GURJ SS   

Is that partly the way we approach those games though? We almost always play rope-a-dope in the big games, so surrender possession and territory. If we took the game to the opponents a bit more, perhaps a different story.

I think this is our main problem this season, the amount of negative football we played in the second half of last season seems to have taken an effect on our teams ability to work with the ball.

Lets not mistake his lack of physical power for defensive weakness. He's exceptional at pressing and positioning himself. While he may not be able to muscle guys off the ball, he can generally keep his side of the pitch tidy, as long as the defensive structure is intact. That his side of the pitch is usually disjointed and on the retreat isn't his fault.

We play 4-2-3-1 because of Hazard, not Fabregas. That way, Hazard has lots of guys around him and doesn't have to do a lot of defensive work, something that would change radically if he was deployed as the left winger in a 4-3-3. More space, yes, but also less of the ball and muuuuuch more tracking back. They'd be able to isolate him easier, too.

Fabregas would be ideal in the #10 position, if we had a midfielder next to Matic that could distribute and also keep up the pressing. Ramires can press, to an extent, but not distribute. Mikel is rubbish at pressing, but a solid passer (if not a particularly offensive one). RLC isn't a realistic option at the moment.

Fabregas plays deeper, because otherwise he wouldn't see the ball. If you could get the ball to him in the hole, we're suddenly a completely different team (as he could play in Costa, the RW and Hazard at will).

The ideal solution would have been Pogba. But there's plenty of options that would have helped (although, in an ideal world we'd get 3 CMs like that, as Mikel and Ramires aren't up to it, then you'd have Fabs and Oscar as #10s).

Lots of interesting points here mate.

Your right that we're a diff team when he plays 10.

We end up playing defensibly.

He doesn't respond to pressing triggers so then striker closes down defenders/gk's then Fab should be cutting off passing options but alas he's too slow to this. And even though I don't rate him highly I can see why Oscar is Mourinho's man for this reason alone.

Bison   

Two questions:

1) what is his best position?

2) is he indispensable?

Personally I'm starting to wonder where he wouldn't be a liability. And it's a firm no to the second, and I have thought that for most of this calender year.

Two questions:

2) is he indispensable?

Personally I'm starting to wonder where he wouldn't be a liability. And it's a firm no to the second, and I have thought that for most of this calender year.

1. Next to a semi competent DM.

2. He certainly is not first on the list.

Sarin   

1. Next to a semi competent DM.

This explains why he doesn't play next to Mikel or Ramires unless their are no other options.

cam4blue   

It's probably as a deep-lying playmaker type, with the freedom to get forward and link with the attacking 3. He had a successful spell at Arsenal further forward where he scored a lot of goals, but he hasn't looked top class there for us. He's been fairly poor whenever used further forward actually. He was played all over the place at Barca, they had a very hard time finding his "best position". I think they kinda decided he didn't have one.

One thing I would say, his best form for us came when Oscar was in front of him doing the work of two men; interchanging with Cesc, plugging gaps when the oppo had the ball and making runs when we had possession. When that worked, we saw the best of both. Sadly both are a bit inconsistent.

He always gave us a problem though, the real issue is that his his productivity has dropped to the point where it's (almost) not worth carrying him. If he turns that around I think most would be happy with him despite his deficiencies. There were certainly few complaints when he was ripping teams apart with his passing. You could say that Costa's gradual transformation into a statue is hindering him, but he's just playing badly no matter the context, and a luxury player playing badly is just about the worst thing you can have in a team.

2) is he indispensable?

I think Jose sees him as indispensable. He starts pretty much every game and he is rarely subbed off. If he doesn't turn his form around that will change.

Sarin   

One thing I would say, his best form for us came when Oscar was in front of him doing the work of two men; interchanging with Cesc, plugging gaps when the oppo had the ball and making runs when we had possession. When that worked, we saw the best of both. Sadly both are a bit inconsistent.

I think Jose sees him as indispensable. He starts pretty much every game and he is rarely subbed off. If he doesn't turn his form around that will change.

I think we have missed Oscar a lot.

Agree Jose sees him as indispensable.

Matic and Cesc, along with some others. Hazard, Azpi. Start every game and often play all 90 minutes. So of cause Jose sees them as Indispensable.

Sciatika   

On the transfer forum there's a host of people who want to sell Oscar.