• Current Donation Goals

Bridgejunky

Official: Cesc Fabregas Leaves For Monaco

If we are looking for a CM there should be one option and that's Verratti.

Best CM in the world for me. No question.

If we are looking for a CM there should be one option and that's Verratti.

Best CM in the world for me. No question.

I'll have some of that.

xCELERYx   

If we are looking for a Marchiso/Pirlo/Pogba type of combination, we will still need to buy 2 top class midfielders. If we go on the grounds of Fabregas playing the Pirlo role, Marchiso and Pogba would walk into our team because we don't have anything of their quality to do the other 2 roles. Saying that, Fabregas is still too inconsistent to base a system around, he had a shocker yesterday but he hasn't played well enough to put that option on the table for over 6 months of football.

Now if we could somehow offload Fabregas in exchange for Verrati, we would have a playmaker who is not a liability when defending, and we would be able to play 2 midfielders who can support the striker when need be; without leaving a huge counter-attacking vacuum in midfield.

I agree, it would still mean investing in a couple of quality players. But we should have done that this summer, regardless. Now we'll have to go and find two to bring in at once. Though, Matic in a three man midfield would be more productive than being wedged into a role that isn't ideal for him either.

Fabregas/Matic/Ball-Winner would still be a solid midfield, given Matic can do a bit up both ends. Bring in another quality creative player and it provides even more options.

As much as I like Verratti, I get the feeling it wouldn't take long for people on here to get on his back about his diminutive stature. He's not someone that comes under extensive midfield pressure in France because of how strong PSG are and how weak the rest of the league is. That would definitely change in England.

Fabregas hasn't suddenly become a bad player, I think people forget just how good he was the first half of last season. Droy said the best 6 months of football he has ever seen from a Chelsea player, or something along those lines, and it's hard to argue against that.

He was outrageous last season and without him we would not have won the league and yes he has not had a good start to the season but I think the criticism aimed at him is massively unfair.

He's been superb playing for Spain. Teams sit back and defend deep against them, exactly the way they used to do against us. Ironically he was bought for this very reason but as soon as teams have stopped doing that to us and giving him no time on the ball his form has suffered dramatically.

A player like him needs others to do a lot of the running and dirty work for him, its just the type of player he is and you could argue we shouldn't be carrying him in this team but when it works you've only got to go back to last season to see how good he is. One of the very best in the world in his role.

Sea foot   

Fabregas hasn't suddenly become a bad player, I think people forget just how good he was the first half of last season. Droy said the best 6 months of football he has ever seen from a Chelsea player, or something along those lines, and it's hard to argue against that.

He was outrageous last season and without him we would not have won the league and yes he has not had a good start to the season but I think the criticism aimed at him is massively unfair.

He's been superb playing for Spain. Teams sit back and defend deep against them, exactly the way they used to do against us. Ironically he was bought for this very reason but as soon as teams have stopped doing that to us and giving him no time on the ball his form has suffered dramatically.

A player like him needs others to do a lot of the running and dirty work for him, its just the type of player he is and you could argue we shouldn't be carrying him in this team but when it works you've only got to go back to last season to see how good he is. One of the very best in the world in his role.

There's the rub. When it works. You can make that excuse about any player. Costa was great for six months. Matic and Oscar were great for six months. Are we not allowed to criticise them either?

There's the rub. When it works. You can make that excuse about any player. Costa was great for six months. Matic and Oscar were great for six months. Are we not allowed to criticise them either?

By all means criticise whoever you like, I just think people need to think a bit before they post.

You can't criticize a player who has a very particular job to do in the team that is not being allowed to do that job because of the system or other players not doing what they are supposed to be doing.

When everything worked last season and players did their job in this system Fabregas was absolutely wonderful.

He is what he is, some people are having a pop at him for not being something else.

Edited by Hazardous

xCELERYx   

Hazardous is right though, Fabregas excels within a very specific system. Take him outside of that and you get what we see now. He shouldn't be shoehorned into a role which not only has a great demand on him being our sole creative player, but to also provide defensive protection and midfield structure. JM asks too much from some players with secondary instructions- filling roles they aren't suited for, which in turn hinders their ability to perform at a higher capacity in their main role. Same applies with the majority of our midfield and attacking players.

As I've said countless times, it would be like playing Pirlo at CM and expecting him to perform all the tasks someone like Fabregas is being asked to do, on top of what he's main role is. He'd be a shadow of the player he is. Instead, teams let Pirlo focus on a specific duty within the side and counter balanced that with players around him to pick up the excess.

Sea foot   

Yes but that system we played at the start of the season only lasted until teams sussed out how to play against it and we had to change it. If a player can only perform in one system then they become surplus to requirements surely.

Fabregas hasn't suddenly become a bad player,

If you ask me now, Fabregas has suddenly become a very good player again over the past 3 games - Spurs included though many failed to notice.

Hazardous is right though, Fabregas excels within a very specific system. Take him outside of that and you get what we see now. He shouldn't be shoehorned into a role which not only has a great demand on him being our sole creative player, but to also provide defensive protection and midfield structure. JM asks too much from some players with secondary instructions- filling roles they aren't suited for, which in turn hinders their ability to perform at a higher capacity in their main role. Same applies with the majority of our midfield and attacking players.

I think it is simpler. When everyone is winning their 50/50s, and our players are beating their markers and their players aren't, the CMs generally get the credit for us being on top.

And they get the blame when the opposite happens.

Last season you can credit the whole team that the weak defensive CM defensive partnership looked good for so long, and blame the whole team this season that their shortcomings have become so obvious.

Dale86   

If you ask me now, Fabregas has suddenly become a very good player again over the past 3 games - Spurs included though many failed to notice.

I don't post very often, but I'd be really interested to hear what you thought Fab did well on Saturday? I thought his harrying of their midfielders was decent but he got bypassed a few times and when he could have made a difference in possession, his passing, surely his best attribute, was atrocious.