• Current Donation Goals

Bridgejunky

Official: Cesc Fabregas Leaves For Monaco

paulw66   
9 hours ago, East Lower said:

He's been a disaster of a DofF for them. Didn't surprise me one bit, as I think the man's a fraud. Got covered by the great managers and spine of a team we had.

So, what is the role of DoF?

If my understanding is correct, then he did a brilliant job. Look at the talent we bought in whilst he was in that role (2011-2017). That the manager(s) didn't use it all wasn't his fault. 

In no particular order: Mata, Oscar, Schurrle, de Bruyne, Azpilicueta, Salah, Lukaku, Costa, Courtois, Hazard (*2), Moses, Willian, Fabregas, Pedro, Kante, Traore, Matic+ Luiz (both 2nd time), Christensen, Alonso, Zouma to name a few, whilst the transfers out have given us one of the lowest net spends of the bigger clubs.

And in the same period the seniors won 2 PLs, the Champions League, Europa League, Fa cup and League cup all once and the Youth team won 5 Youth Cups

What is the remit of a DoF if it is not, overseeing of transfers in and out, success of the first team, and success of the youth team? All big ticks under his stewardship. 

10 hours ago, East Lower said:

A wonderfully apt misspelling.

Probably skulking around trying to avoid his role in the carnage that's unfolding. Daily Telegraph speculating he's on his way out with Henry.

He's been a disaster of a DofF for them. Didn't surprise me one bit, as I think the man's a fraud. Got covered by the great managers and spine of a team we had.

Gotta feel a bit for Cesc though, rumour that Jardim is going to come back in to replace Henry.

Good spot of a comic error - but very very unkind.

10 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Jardim reports from bbc - Leonardo Jardim still lives in Monaco and sees the players in the street when he goes to the bakery gives me mental images of some kind of Monaco billionaires hovis advert from the 90s

All a bit worrying if the ex-manager is hanging around, waiting.  And bringing him back would make me wonder about the owners

51 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

If my understanding is correct, then he did a brilliant job. Look at the talent we bought in whilst he was in that role (2011-2017). That the manager(s) didn't use it all wasn't his fault. 

In no particular order: Mata, Oscar, Schurrle, de Bruyne, Azpilicueta, Salah, Lukaku, Costa, Courtois, Hazard (*2), Moses, Willian, Fabregas, Pedro, Kante, Traore, Matic+ Luiz (both 2nd time), Christensen, Alonso, Zouma to name a few, whilst the transfers out have given us one of the lowest net spends of the bigger clubs.

And in the same period the seniors won 2 PLs, the Champions League, Europa League, Fa cup and League cup all once and the Youth team won 5 Youth Cups

What is the remit of a DoF if it is not, overseeing of transfers in and out, success of the first team, and success of the youth team? All big ticks under his stewardship. 

His record as DoF is incredible.  And the chaos that happened around the time he moved on (and effectively Conte took over) has been remarkable.

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

All a bit worrying if the ex-manager is hanging around, waiting.  And bringing him back would make me wonder about the owners

I'm not sure Jardim has been "hanging around, waiting". He's lived in Monaco since he first became manager in 2014 and it's only 3 months since he was sacked. With no other job on the horizon, are you suggesting he should have immediately left the Principality the day after the club sacked him? Your hero lived in a Manchester hotel for years... should he have sold his London home the day after we sacked him?

The owner is a very dodgy Russian (by that I mean even more dodgy than normal Russian standards of dodginess!)

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

So, what is the role of DoF?

Fact was that he was never a DofF with us, Technical Director role that he was given was to provide a stable and detailed systematic approach to the progression of style and players though our age groups to the first team. Responsibility for transfers came well into the period after 2012. 

Our committee was rumoured to have the say on who came in and out until 2016 ish. The reported reasons for the parting of the ways came came when his choices were being questioned and he wanted a more powerful role. As I see it he's got it at Monaco and us making a mess of it.

22 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I'm not sure Jardim has been "hanging around, waiting". He's lived in Monaco since he first became manager in 2014 and it's only 3 months since he was sacked.

Perhaps purely innocent.  But awkward nonetheless.  New manager comes in, suspicions of players not trying.  He is bumping into players at the Bakery.....

It looks bad

5 minutes ago, East Lower said:

Fact was that he was never a DofF with us, Technical Director role that he was given was to provide a stable and detailed systematic approach to the progression of style and players though our age groups to the first team. Responsibility for transfers came well into the period after 2012. 

Our committee was rumoured to have the say on who came in and out until 2016 ish. The reported reasons for the parting of the ways came came when his choices were being questioned and he wanted a more powerful role. As I see it he's got it at Monaco and us making a mess of it.

Anyone would think there is a detailed historical work we can find this stuff out from and not just a bunch of journalists spinning one story or another, and a bunch of fans with agendas.

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Anyone would think there is a detailed historical work we can find this stuff out from and not just a bunch of journalists spinning one story or another, and a bunch of fans with agendas.

Fact is that in his first role as a Director of Football, it would appear that he's lasted barely a year. That's not down to the spinning of stories by journalists or by fans with beliefs and value systems, that's down to how he's been perceived performing in that role by his paymasters.

He's done well though - he managed to fool some very clever people for a long time (riding on the backs of some very talented people), but couldn't fool all the people all the time. 

2 hours ago, East Lower said:

Fact is that in his first role as a Director of Football, it would appear that he's lasted barely a year. That's not down to the spinning of stories by journalists or by fans with beliefs and value systems, that's down to how he's been perceived performing in that role by his paymasters.

He's done well though - he managed to fool some very clever people for a long time (riding on the backs of some very talented people), but couldn't fool all the people all the time. 

Well done, in an ocean of your spin, you pulled out a single fact on ME 15 months after he left Chelsea.  Hard to demonstrate more point better,

I was extremely shocked when Henry got the job. I always thought he was awful as a pundit with most of what he said not really making any sense. Zidane an obvious exception but always thought defensively minded players make better managers. Incredible natural talents like Henry can find it difficult to understand why players can't do what he used to, perhaps Zidane would be the same if he were not managing a super team. 

All the Belgians seem to speak very highly of Henry but again they have some world class talents. I've heard that Glenn Hoddle used to rub some of his players up the wrong way as he would still be the best player in training and was not shy about it. Some of the stories that have come out, if true are quite comical. 

https://t.co/UCMIotIVJ8

From the article above where he called an opposition players grandmother a whore. 

'I regret my comments from the bench. It was a human reaction, I'm still human. I regret it. 'Sometimes I do it in English. Maybe in English it wouldn't have been as noticeable. No, I'm joking. I should not do it.'

Probably ill advised timing for a joke. 

Emenalo has officially been sacked now and Jardim is back in. Reports are Jardim and Emenalo did not get along and the owner did not like the business that was done last summer. 

All seems very chaotic and a surprise as Monaco seemed to be a very well run club for the last few years. Poor Cesc might just be questioning his decision to go there. 

Edited by samhoward17

5 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

All seems very chaotic and a surprise as Monaco seemed to be a very well run club for the last few years. Poor Cesc might just be questioning his decision to go there. 

Actually, under the current Russian owner, things have been very chaotic. I'm not sure where you got the idea the club was well run.
Dmitry Rybolovlev bought the club when they were mid-table in the French second division in 2011. It was always felt locally that he did so to rub shoulders with the Grimaldis (in order to try to get himself a bit of much-needed respectability) and for the obvious tax-haven reasons... the good of the club was only 'important' because, as part owners, the Grimaldi's wanted the club to be successful. In his second year of ownership he hired Ranieri as manager and the club played very attacking football that saw them win the 2nd Division and gain promotion. Upon doing so, Rybolovlev splurged £100m odd on Falcao and James Rodriguez plus another £50m or so on other players. In that first season back in the top flight, Monaco finished 2nd, but that wasn't good enough to save Ranieri from the sack, and he was replaced by Jardim. However, against Jardim's wishes, the club then sold James for around £70m and loaned Falcao to United. The following season Martial was sold to United. Other departures included Carrasco and Kondogbia. So many of the squad were sold that Jardim had no option but to play many of the club's academy players who surprised everyone by romping to the title and doing well in Europe. The following season, many of the young stars of that championship winning team (Mbappe, Mendy, Bakayoko, etc.) were sold. In spite of the funds generated by these sales, the club has little money and the local press seems not to dare question an owner previously accused of murder (after 11 months in custody, the only living witness recanted his earlier testimony). The owner also cropped up in the FootballLeaks scandal a few years ago... it seems that with Jorge Mendes a company was set up that manipulated the values of his own players.

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well done, in an ocean of your spin, you pulled out a single fact on ME 15 months after he left Chelsea.  Hard to demonstrate more point better,

There's a few facts I've stated regarding him, the last one is there now and you're 100% correct - it's very hard to demonstrate my points about ME any better.

At least Monaco have had the class not to make withering and personal statements to the media following his departure.