• Current Donation Goals

Bridgejunky

Official: Cesc Fabregas Leaves For Monaco

Ham   
Just now, Mark Kelly said:

He really is the king of trolls , Chelsea legend , biggest mistake Sarri made was letting him go .

Especially if the club even had an inkling we were going to get a transfer ban. 

11 minutes ago, Ham said:

Especially if the club even had an inkling we were going to get a transfer ban. 

It would certainly be nice to know what the club's intentions are regarding the ban.

On 6/3/2019 at 2:14 AM, Mark Kelly said:

He really is the king of trolls , Chelsea legend , biggest mistake Sarri made was letting him go .

I seriously doubt that it was Sarri's decision alone. The club rarely offer multi-year contracts to players of Cesc' age, and Monaco put a 3 year deal on the table.

xCELERYx   
7 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

I seriously doubt that it was Sarri's decision alone. The club rarely offer multi-year contracts to players of Cesc' age, and Monaco put a 3 year deal on the table.

Fabregas mentioned that playing time (or lack of) is why he left, which was connected to Sarri's lack of rotation/preference of Jorginho. He spoke about his situation during the season and how it needed to change. Otherwise he was happy to continue at Chelsea. If Luiz got a two year deal, wouldn't have been unreasonable to see Fabregas getting similar. Although, I think he'd have been more accepting of a one year deal to stay in London. 

32 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

If Luiz got a two year deal, wouldn't have been unreasonable to see Fabregas getting similar. 

Given the timing, I'd imagine it 'unreasonable', to use your word. Did we have a transfer ban at the time Cesc left? I ask because that ban certainly influenced the club's offer to Luiz, imo..

paulw66   
6 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Given the timing, I'd imagine it 'unreasonable', to use your word. Did we have a transfer ban at the time Cesc left? I ask because that ban certainly influenced the club's offer to Luiz, imo..

It certainly put Luiz in a very strong bargaining position. 

"2 years or I'm off............" 

Club absolutely hamstrung. 

6 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Whilst we didn't formally have a ban at the time, the club was aware that FIFA were investigating them, and given the number of players allegedly involved (it was more than a dozen cases being investigated, all very similar to cases that led to Barcelona and Athletico Madrid being barred from registering new players) and FIFA's past record, it would have known that a ban was more than likely.

Fabregas thought he was going to play for Henry - the guy he would have been serving in his early Arsenal days.

Fabregas was getting no time except occasionally as Jorginho's deputy.  Given Sarri's unfortunate reluctance to play Fabregas in the No 8 positions (where 3 different candidates were doing their best to avoid being picked), Fabregas has little incentive to stay.
Likewise the board had little incentive to keep paying him his high wages.

Luiz in contrast is the starting CB with Rudiger, and somewhat ahead of the next choice Christensen.  Just one month older than Fabregas but in a position where players usually last 2 or 3 years longer.  With Cahill going, 3 CBs is not many.  And if a better one arrives or Christensen steps up, 3rd choice CB is going to be used more than 2nd choice playmaker (especially if the club has considered a new manager and new plans).

Transfer ban - I'm pretty sure that in December the club expected a transfer ban, and expected to be able to delay that to start in Jan 2020.
Which is exactly where I think we are now.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Transfer ban - I'm pretty sure that in December the club expected a transfer ban, and expected to be able to delay that to start in Jan 2020.

Which is exactly where I think we are now.

Apologies if someone else has posted this elsewhere, but is there any dea of when CAS are likely to rule on this? There is not much point in going to the trouble of delaying the ban, if we dont find out until 2 days before the window closes... That would be worse than just accepting it.

35 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Apologies if someone else has posted this elsewhere, but is there any dea of when CAS are likely to rule on this? There is not much point in going to the trouble of delaying the ban, if we dont find out until 2 days before the window closes... That would be worse than just accepting it.

CAS can't rule on anything until the club themselves decide to put forward an appeal to the CAS