• Current Donation Goals

Bridgejunky

Official: Cesc Fabregas Leaves For Monaco

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

CAS can't rule on anything until the club themselves decide to put forward an appeal to the CAS

Are we really sure this has not happened yet?

If the window is open, we are already serving the ban, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Are we really sure this has not happened yet?

If the window is open, we are already serving the ban, right?

I think the window opens earlier in Europe than it does over here if I recall correctly . My personal feeling is they're going to take a hit and see what occurs ( apart from a swift exit from the Champions league that is )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Are we really sure this has not happened yet?

If the window is open, we are already serving the ban, right?

Not seen anything in the press since this...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11725640/chelsea-transfer-ban-appeal-still-not-with-court-of-arbitration-for-sport?fbclid=IwAR2PnTIY6134cagA2HQf6mkdQB8s4cySa5X9u173bWaHgwVmCVsvCvu3Ea4

 

... and I'm fairly sure that had we lodged an appeal in the last two weeks (the article dates from 21-05) with the CAS someone, somewhere, would have reported it.

So, as it stands, FIFA have charged us with breaches of its rules concerning the transfer of U-18 players, found us guilty, and rejected our appeal.
The next step, which we have yet to take some 5 weeks after the FIFA appeal was turned down, is to appeal to the CAS. So, for the moment, we cannot register any new players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Not seen anything in the press since this...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11725640/chelsea-transfer-ban-appeal-still-not-with-court-of-arbitration-for-sport?fbclid=IwAR2PnTIY6134cagA2HQf6mkdQB8s4cySa5X9u173bWaHgwVmCVsvCvu3Ea4

 

... and I'm fairly sure that had we lodged an appeal in the last two weeks (the article dates from 21-05) with the CAS someone, somewhere, would have reported it.

So, as it stands, FIFA have charged us with breaches of its rules concerning the transfer of U-18 players, found us guilty, and rejected our appeal.
The next step, which we have yet to take some 5 weeks after the FIFA appeal was turned down, is to appeal to the CAS. So, for the moment, we cannot register any new players.

Can only assume then, that there will be no appeal, as if we lodge it now, it might end up taking the whole window to get heard. We can only have decided to do the time now, rather than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Can only assume then, that there will be no appeal, as if we lodge it now, it might end up taking the whole window to get heard. We can only have decided to do the time now, rather than later.

I'm pretty sure previously the ban has been temporarily lifted while they decide it, so the sequence of events you've described would allow us to sign players this summer while we wait for it to be heard. Also I believe our case is more complex due to the FA involvement and therefore could take longer, and has more potential for a win or reduction of the ban.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I'm pretty sure previously the ban has been temporarily lifted while they decide it, so the sequence of events you've described would allow us to sign players this summer while we wait for it to be heard. Also I believe our case is more complex due to the FA involvement and therefore could take longer, and has more potential for a win or reduction of the ban.

Looking at the current workload of the CAS I doubt it would take long for them to start hearing our case.

I'm pretty sure when Barca and Athletico Madrid were charged with similar offences the Spanish FA would also have been involved (or do the Spanish FA not sign off on transfers involving Spanish clubs?), so I'm not sure why our case would be more complex than theirs?

The club was quite vocal in proclaiming its innocence back in February... yet 5 weeks since we lost our appeal to FIFA, we still haven't lodged an appeal with the CAS. Puzzling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Looking at the current workload of the CAS I doubt it would take long for them to start hearing our case.

I'm pretty sure when Barca and Athletico Madrid were charged with similar offences the Spanish FA would also have been involved (or do the Spanish FA not sign off on transfers involving Spanish clubs?), so I'm not sure why our case would be more complex than theirs?

The club was quite vocal in proclaiming its innocence back in February... yet 5 weeks since we lost our appeal to FIFA, we still haven't lodged an appeal with the CAS. Puzzling.

 Not if we are playing the waiting game, getting the deals done before appealing it to the CAS. Or am misreading the situation? 

If that was theoretically possible, then it would be the sensible move - maximising the window for the admin work that’s left to be done to formalise the deal. 

Anyhow, IF Sarri is really leaving, and we decide to accept the ban, the squad is in dire straits. Must be nightmarish for a new manager to accept the job and try to make a contest of the CL and renewed CL qualification for the following year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if the club had accepted it would be banned this summer, we would have had a statement.
I think that if the club had decided not to appeal a ban this summer, we would have had a statement.
I think if we had appealed the timing of the ban there would have been a statement.

And if the club was waiting to make its appeal, then I'm pretty sure there would NOT have been a statement.

Ergo - club is waiting.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Looking at the current workload of the CAS I doubt it would take long for them to start hearing our case.

I'm pretty sure when Barca and Athletico Madrid were charged with similar offences the Spanish FA would also have been involved (or do the Spanish FA not sign off on transfers involving Spanish clubs?), so I'm not sure why our case would be more complex than theirs?

The club was quite vocal in proclaiming its innocence back in February... yet 5 weeks since we lost our appeal to FIFA, we still haven't lodged an appeal with the CAS. Puzzling.

In my experience submitting an appeal is not a case of just whacking the same documents in with an appeal form, especially when jumping from a tribunal to an actual court. Given the numbers of players involved this probably involves preparing numerous binders of legal arguments and evidence in the specific format the court asks for them, all numbered, referenced etc. Not a 5 minute job.

I don't remember the spanish FA being charged in those cases, may be wrong but no mention in the fifa statement when charging both Madrid teams. If I was arguing the case I would definitely be raising the fact we acted in good faith, bringing the transfers to our governing bodies attention, who then told us they were all kosher, and wouldn't have completed the deals without that. I would also line my transfer ducks up and time the submission of the appeal so that it would be decided September at the earliest to allow me the whole window to conclude my transfer business, which I suspect we are doing. I suspect fifa did the same when timing their decision to screw us between two windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CAS will suspend the ban virtually as soon as we appeal; they will have to. That level of decision is not at all about the merit of our dispute, but the timing. And they'd then reinstate it, assuming they uphold (in full or part) it, at the next point there is a whole window yet to start. 

It is very much in our interests to appeal to CAS just before the window opens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now