Forum Administrator

Club announce new stadium plans

1,073 posts in this topic

Great news but I still wonder when we will end up actually breaking ground.

The next step is what we do while it is being built. I think the Spuds experience has shown us that Wembley is by far the worst idea. Twickenham may be a possibility if the local hoorays can be persuaded to let the oiks in on a Saturday. I saw somewhere that there was the possibility (albeit the most expensive option) that we could continue playing at the Bridge while the work was going on? Alternatively we could just go and play at Griffin Park and just let the regulars in. Now that would be an atmosphere.

11 hours ago, Ham said:

CL nights will be amazing.  There's nothing similar in the world to this as it's shape from above is asymmetrical and random and the stadium inside is a rectangle with corners. 

The Emirates is an oval within an oval.  Where's the home end? 

The new white hart lane is very nice but even then it's still a modern meccano project. A bigger version of pride park if you ask me. 

Dare I say it, maybe we should also put 'The Liquidator' on the shelf for TV classic 'Reqium for a Dream', Verdi's reqiuem (dies irae) or O Fortuna.  Or is that taking it too far?

At risk of accusations of pretension, "O Fortuna" from Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana" would be stunning. I presume it is to that which you refer?

Could be wrong but isn't that already used by someone, no idea who.

21 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Good memory - it was: 

• Early 1970s: Ending used throughout 30-second British TV adverts for Old Spice aftershave lotion.
  • 1999: On Brazilian TV network Sistema Brasileiro de Televisão, used on ad campaign with new graphics celebrating 18th Anniversary.
  • 2005: In a Carlton Draught beer ad called Carlton Draught: Big Ad.
  •          In a commercial for Hershey's Spread.
  • 2015: For a Domino's commercial that aired during Super Bowl XLIX, a piece from the ending cantata is heard as explosives tear down a Domino's Pizza sign and the announcer says they are dropping the word "Pizza" from their name to emphasize their non-pizza products.

Still nice, but the association with old men's after shave and weak lager does really stand scrutiny.

BTW, picture above vaguely reminiscent of a cooling tower viewed from above, but reminds me more of seeing SFL popping one in from the corner years ago when flying back from Vienna. Knew it was him, given loads of dots, first at the Harding end in the box, then moving fast to the corner.

35 minutes ago, blue moon said:

Good memory - it was: 

• Early 1970s: Ending used throughout 30-second British TV adverts for Old Spice aftershave lotion.
  • 1999: On Brazilian TV network Sistema Brasileiro de Televisão, used on ad campaign with new graphics celebrating 18th Anniversary.
  • 2005: In a Carlton Draught beer ad called Carlton Draught: Big Ad.
  •          In a commercial for Hershey's Spread.
  • 2015: For a Domino's commercial that aired during Super Bowl XLIX, a piece from the ending cantata is heard as explosives tear down a Domino's Pizza sign and the announcer says they are dropping the word "Pizza" from their name to emphasize their non-pizza products.

Still nice, but the association with old men's after shave and weak lager does really stand scrutiny.

BTW, picture above vaguely reminiscent of a cooling tower viewed from above, but reminds me more of seeing SFL popping one in from the corner years ago when flying back from Vienna. Knew it was him, given loads of dots, first at the Harding end in the box, then moving fast to the corner.

Wasn't it also used in the movie Excalibur?

According to Wikipedia (which is always right):

• 1981: In Excalibur, when King Arthur and his knights ride into battle.
  • 1984: In the 1984 film Speed.
  • 1991: In The Doors, Oliver Stone's biographical film of the American rock band.
  • 1992: In the film Last of the Mohicans, the piece 'Massacre/Canoes' by Trevor Jones draws from it directly.
  • 1999: In The General's Daughter film.
  • 1999: In Detroit Rock City, the scene where the four boys, after losing their concert tickets, and apparently having no way of recovering them, beat each other up to make it appear as though they had been mugged so they can get into the concert.
  • 2002: In Jackass: The Movie, a 2002 reality film.
  • 2003: In Cheaper by the Dozen, at the end of Dylan's party scene.
  • 2007: In Beowulf: Prince of the Geats as Beowulf discovers the sword to slay the Helldam.
  • 2009: In Capitalism: A Love Story (2009 documentary film).
  • 2009: In G-Force, when the hamsters in the balls race against the car through the fireworks.

Old Carl must be kicking himself, all those lost royalties ...

What would happen to the hotel, I remember Bates having some say in the matter.

Was he bought out?

2 hours ago, Sea foot said:

It's played at St James' Park sometimes.

55 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

What would happen to the hotel, I remember Bates having some say in the matter.

Was he bought out?

Not sure about Ken but the plan is a total rebuild including demolishing the hotel, the gym, restaurants, etc. The new plan has a separate restaurant and cafe. There will be a new  museum and club shop. I don't think the "Under the Bridge" night club will survive either.

1 person likes this