Forum Administrator

Club announce new stadium plans

1,122 posts in this topic

I would expect the club to explore all possibilities. Some of them might just be to use as an additional bargaining chip in any negotiation.

The Emirates has happy memories !

52 minutes ago, Ham said:

Anything would be preferable to Wembley for me.  ANYTHING! 

Wembley might be dire (it is), but sharing Knob Hill with the pikeys? Oh come on ...

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Loving the music.  Liquidator on the piano. 

Yeah I was liking that a lot too, blending into a medley of Blue Is The Colour. Very nice.

13 hours ago, Ham said:

Anything would be preferable to Wembley for me.  ANYTHING! 

Not sure if you've attended a game at the former Olympic Stadium, in my opinion it's the worst ground to watch a top level game in that I've been to in 20 years. 

I'm no fan of Wembley, but in direct comparison it's a far better option than the soulless place that is the 'London Stadium'

8 hours ago, East Lower said:

Not sure if you've attended a game at the former Olympic Stadium, in my opinion it's the worst ground to watch a top level game in that I've been to in 20 years. 

I'm no fan of Wembley, but in direct comparison it's a far better option than the soulless place that is the 'London Stadium'

Agreed. My previous least favourite stadium was Fratton Park, but at least it had character

I'm worried about getting to and from Wembley because of the appalling congestion, even after the rebuild.

I'm worried about the sheer scale of the stadium and whether we'll embarrass ourselves like City have already at the emptihad.

Linked to that I'm worried about being unfavourably compared to the Spuds who almost sold out for a CL game. 

Finally I'm worried about the curse of Wembley when being used by a club side.  

For those reasons I genuinely mean anywhere but Wembley. 

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Agreed. My previous least favourite stadium was Fratton Park, but at least it had character

Indeed it did and a cracking atmosphere at times.

We were evacuated from one of the stands one night as they were afraid of it collapsing or something, a mid-week league cup game that if I recall correctly Kerry Dixon got a hat-trick and we won 3-2?? 

And the concrete steps in the stand at the away end of the ground, before it got its roof were so old and worn, all the aggregate in the concrete had become exposed and on cold or wet nights were lethal.

Not a fan of some the modern stadium designs , gently sloping stands etc. Munich and the Millenium are two modern designs who've got it right.

Edited by East Lower