Forum Administrator

Club announce new stadium plans

1,147 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

How does having safe standing deal with the egress issues?

Absolutely. It doesn't. Can only be done at the new stadium. 

51 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

How does having safe standing deal with the egress issues?

SS creates in/egress issues as we all know  but those have already been dealt with via the proposed ground so if we cancel the new stadium and upgrade the access then we're quids in 

I thought the design of the stadium was an integral part of solving the egress issues because the new design allows people to leave the stadium by routes behind MH that do not mean more people flooding out via the existing exits onto the Fulham Road. I may have misunderstood.

6 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I thought the design of the stadium was an integral part of solving the egress issues because the new design allows people to leave the stadium by routes behind MH that do not mean more people flooding out via the existing exits onto the Fulham Road. I may have misunderstood.

well not really, the design was a way of getting up to 60 on such a small footprint. the access was just one of the many issues to resolve.

If the  60k access issues were solved by the upgrading as per the submitted plans then there is no real reason these additional and enlarged access routes  cannot be adapted to fit the old stadium. In fact as the existing stadium is smaller it may actually be easier.. The only potential issue I can think of :  are the existing inside stadium walkways large enough or able to be enlarged enough  to comply to the  current regs?

We cannot get anywhere near 60,000 with safe standing. There's a limit to the number of safe standing seats you can install and they only create about 1.4 safe standing seats per existing seat.

It's a moot point. That plus the egress issue leaves a new stadium as the only option. 

Surely the answer is a 60,000 brand new all seater stadium with the option of making it 70,000+ with safe standing?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Ham said:

We cannot get anywhere near 60,000 with safe standing. There's a limit to the number of safe standing seats you can install and they only create about 1.4 safe standing seats per existing seat.

It's a moot point. That plus the egress issue leaves a new stadium as the only option. 

the ratio appears closer to 1:8 so 60 is potentially possible..?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7ll2hvfchkq160/Standing fans to seats ratios.pdf?dl=0

I disagree with your last comment for the reasons I have already given 

Edited by r.bartlett

38 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

the ratio appears closer to 1:8 so 60 is potentially possible..?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7ll2hvfchkq160/Standing fans to seats ratios.pdf?dl=0

I disagree with your last comment for the reasons I have already given 

I'm sure that it's closer to 1.4 to 1 seat.  Even if it was 1.8 to 1 seat we'd still need MOST of our current seats to be exchanged for rail seating to get the extra 20000.  

Clubs are only allowed a small percentage of their seats to be made into rail seats. 

I agree with Ham on this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allianz_Arena#Capacity

So at Munich they can convert 10,400 seats to standing to gain an extra 3120 seats - so that would be a 1.3 ratio.
Only 10,400 of the 71,000 all seated capacity is changeable.  At Chelsea it might be 5,000 convertible into 6,500 - which wouldn't change a great deal (1500 extra capacity).  And you'd have to sell the standing places at the same price as seats or they'd be no financial point at all.

Even if clubs could get permission in the UK to have "safe" standing (which IMO is unlikely)  I doubt UEFA rules would change, so the seats would have to remain convertible.  

fair enough, just trying to see a way forward without the need of a new stadium..