Forum Administrator

Club announce new stadium plans

1,122 posts in this topic

As for what changed; the obvious one is that the local council went from Conservative to Labour.

Think it boils down to this. The new council are not at all impressed with many of the developments their Conservative predecessors had in place. Vaguely recall that all historical expansion and development work at Stamford Bridge has come under Labour administrations.

Could well be another way for the club to reinforce the fact the bridge can't be expanded I reckon, the decking on the tracks would be to help egress and to hopefully increase the champions league capacity back up to the usual amount of seats.

I still can't see how the club could build a 60k seater on the current plot as it is, anyone who has been to the bridge will realise that, even a complete new build I can't see it happening, unless they were to buy up all of the houses/flats on the fulham road behind the shed and flatten the chelsea village (another hurdle) then in theory they could do a complete new build at a 40° angle to the original and a bit closer to the fulham road then you might get it, with the one massive entrance this would bring and the railway decking idea egress shouldn't be a problem.

Could well be another way for the club to reinforce the fact the bridge can't be expanded I reckon, the decking on the tracks would be to help egress and to hopefully increase the champions league capacity back up to the usual amount of seats.

I still can't see how the club could build a 60k seater on the current plot as it is, anyone who has been to the bridge will realise that, even a complete new build I can't see it happening, unless they were to buy up all of the houses/flats on the fulham road behind the shed and flatten the chelsea village (another hurdle) then in theory they could do a complete new build at a 40° angle to the original and a bit closer to the fulham road then you might get it, with the one massive entrance this would bring and the railway decking idea egress shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, I can't see how we get 60k on the site and I doubt that expanding to 55k will be financially feesible.

A mate of mine who works in property had it on good authority that our bid for Battersea Power Station was never supposed to win. It was put together to try and pit the willies up Fulham and Hammersmith council and to try and force their hand into helping us stay at the bridge. Of true, it would suggest we always believed there is room for manoeuvre here.

Development to expand Stamford Bridge has been going on for years.....can't see anything what can be done.

About time. Look forward to hearing more.

Could just be a fact finding mission aimed at proving that we have no option but to move. Would be a useful tool in perhaps convincing the council to support us in a move to Earls Court.

As has already been mentioned here - it was never LITERALLY impossible to expand the ground but it was practically in the sense that the Tory LBHF wouldn't have considered it.

Now there's a Labour council in there they're seemingly open to exploring the possibility.

But of course, it could end up being financially unviable - which I suspect we already know it is - but we're going through the motions so that when the club say we're moving to some random part of London, they can say "well, we tried everything."

Edited by bluecueball

I found the wording strange, in that I'm sure that studies into expanding the Bridge have been constantly ongoing for a number of years - they've said as much in previous statements on the subject (that they continue to look for ways to increase capacity/new stadium etc).

I imagine though as LVF said, this fresh impetus is a result of the council changes.

Their study that stokerino linked to above was pretty conclusive and I thought at the time this meant that the challenges were insurmountable. Maybe there's a fresh desire to try and work around these challenges again.

Good signs that we have renewed hope though