Forum Administrator

Club announce new stadium plans

1,122 posts in this topic

This sounds a bit like the walkway I proposed about 8 or 9 years ago. If it is, its actually a very complex proposal that is more targeted at the egress issues than anything else. The nub of it was a covered "green" public walkway from Fulham Rd to West Brompton with exit routes from the back of the stadium onto the walkway. That might double the numbers of fans that can get out of the ground. It's complex because it involves a lot of different stakeholders (Royal Parks, TFL, LBHF, Mayor's Office and so on) and because it involves whole bunches of issues such as security for local residents, how to monitor and control potentially unruly visitors and so on. If it is this, I won't be holding my breath.

Edited by Sciatika

From what I can tell the main issue for the club to build bigger is egress and also being hemmed in by railway lines and the propertys along the fulham road, remove these obstacles and you could potentially build a 60k seater in the plot, then it would come down to cost which in likelihood would be grotesique but could be offset by naming rights (new stadium alot easier to sell for big money).

I've knocked up (badly) what I believe could happen in an ideal world

2yzjz9l.png

The pink lines are the new egress routes and the green hatched areas are the railway lines covered over either to provide more space for walkways

Basically I've bodged together 4 west stands in an attempt to get a scale footprint of something like a 60k seater, the current ground would be flattened and rotated from current position by 35 degrees, you would need cpo on all the propertys behind the shed (bloody expensive) as well as removing the hotel complex (potential minefield).

Fulham broadway would also need to have additional platforms built further up the line to accommodate a chelsea fc station which would be accessible from the northwest end of the ground allowing the crowd to boycott predominantly walking out onto the fulham road to get to the fulham broadway, behind the east a walkway up to west brompton could also be built to allow 3 exits from the same site we are in now with much much wider entrance/exit points.

Would remain a tight squeeze around the ground but no worse than it is now whilst also allowing behind the north stand a bigger area for the tv crews thus avoiding capacity decreasing, as well as a new and improved museum/clubshop.

Edited by strong centreback

So what's the news here?

They've been in talks with the council about expanding Stamford Bridge for around 6-7 years. In a comprehensive statement they argued that the main obstacle was that expanding the shed and MH would cost around 300m on the whole and increase the overall capacity to just 55000. Even if it was approved of it wouldn't be financially viable, they said, so what has changed in this respect?

This news from yesterday is in fact no news at all, and certainly not a reason to get excited.

From what I can tell the main issue for the club to build bigger is egress and also being hemmed in by railway lines and the propertys along the fulham road, remove these obstacles and you could potentially build a 60k seater in the plot, then it would come down to cost which in likelihood would be grotesique but could be offset by naming rights (new stadium alot easier to sell for big money).

I've knocked up (badly) what I believe could happen in an ideal world

2yzjz9l.png

The pink lines are the new egress routes and the green hatched areas are the railway lines covered over either to provide more space for walkways

Basically I've bodged together 4 west stands in an attempt to get a scale footprint of something like a 60k seater, the current ground would be flattened and rotated from current position by 35 degrees, you would need cpo on all the propertys behind the shed (bloody expensive) as well as removing the hotel complex (potential minefield).

Fulham broadway would also need to have additional platforms built further up the line to accommodate a chelsea fc station which would be accessible from the northwest end of the ground allowing the crowd to boycott predominantly walking out onto the fulham road to get to the fulham broadway, behind the east a walkway up to west brompton could also be built to allow 3 exits from the same site we are in now with much much wider entrance/exit points.

Would remain a tight squeeze around the ground but no worse than it is now whilst also allowing behind the north stand a bigger area for the tv crews thus avoiding capacity decreasing, as well as a new and improved museum/clubshop.

You're hired. Make it happen.

It occurred to me when looking at an aerial view of the site that if it was at all possible to build a platform over the railway lines behind the east stand that was strong enough to withstand the weight of a stand (and that kind of engineering is entirely feasible), the West stand could become a home or away end, the bones of the shed and MH stands could be used to form two expanded side stands and another end could be built over the railway tracks which would run through the tunnel thus created.

Just a thought.

I dont think you need to build the stand on the platform over the railtrack, all you need to do is to make something that can take the weight of people walking on it, which is not insignificant, but is considerably less. The ground behind the stand could be used right to the edge of the site given that's the bit of land that the club own anyway. The ground under the stand would still need to be available to allow access to large numbers of people to deal with issues such as fire evacuation so it would be more like building over the land rather than on it. That would take some engineering, but not impossible.

The advantage of this approach is that you can make the walkway a "greenway" like the one near the Olympic site. For those who have not walked the Greenway, it's a bit like a long large hump (about 20ft high) that extends for about 4 or 5 miles. It is covered in grass and small trees with a path in the middle and fencing on either side at ground level. It can be opened and closed like a normal park, though it is usually open. It is used for walking and cycling. In the case of the East London one, it covers a huge sewage pipe, but it could be a railway line.

Making a Greenway that extends from Fulham Road to West Brompton would help in egress and making it a public green space would probably be popular with locals assuming you can resolve the security issues for the houses that back onto the Greenway. Also, it hides the railway lines (not particularly attractive), reduces noise pollution from the railway making it more peaceful. And it helps TLR by protecting the railway from weathering thus improving the reliability or trains. The trick with this stuff is to find win-wins for everyone. Let's make the centre of Fulham greener and by implication a better place to live and work. That adds value to local housing. A cycle track on the thing might win a council vote. Is there room for a small park and play area for young children? Also, sending a consultation document to local residents (and responding/reacting to what they say) might help local people feel involved with the plans. Set up a focus group for residents and use it to canvas local opinion. There is no need for secrecy when it comes to this kind of thing. As I said before, I did write an article once describing some of the benefits (there are many when you start to think about it). I am sure I am not the first to think of it.

However, when I was originally investigating this, I found out that major cause of complexity lies in the fact that different people own/manage different pieces of land. So Bromption Cemetary falls under Royal Parks, the Railway line and banking are TLR, the land between the stadium and the railway by the club, the land under the stadium by CPO, the land to north and south by LBHF and by private residents.There are also impacts for the Mayor's office and so on. So, I suspect that DLU is probably right about not getting too excited.

Edited by Sciatika

^^Interesting stuff Sciatika. Thank you.

Do you mind helping me with the TLR acronym please?

Crack up. Its the name we use for a pub we go to after work ("The Last Resort"). I meant TfL :-)