• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

New Stadium Plans

15 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Football fans are a different animal to most other sports fans.

It's more than just watching a game of football. It's a way of life.

Yes - football fans who do live the lifestyle. But how many are they?

I'd say maybe Chelsea have 25,000-30,000 fans who regularly travel to watch games live (I used to be one of them who say 75-90% of all our games in a season. It's costly and most people I know can't sustain it for a life-time. You do a bit of footie when you're young and then you are away for a few years when career/family is taking more of your time. 

Then some return in their later years when they have more time (and spare money) on their hands.

The crowd who is emotionally vested in the league and who follow it from afar has surpassed the match-going fans a long time ago. The league exists for the TV audience now, not for the match-going fans.  It's difficult to see this trend being reversed. 

15 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

But not TV football fans I think.

Quite.

9 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I think the TV experience will change and vast numbers of parallel streams offering different experiences may become the norm as a result of being, initially, a USP. I can imagine a "club" feed where you are placed in the context of the home or away end with no commentary and atmosphere derived from actual recording (though god only knows what defamation suits might arise from it). However, it will never be the same as being there because of the physical involvement before, during and after the match. Will people be hollering at the top of their voices from the comfort of their living rooms? Or experience the sullen walk and ubiquitous moan with mates because we never really got going in the first half. Going to the pub with friends after the game is part of the match day experience as much as being pressed against them as the first goal goes in. It's a part of why all-seater stadia seem so sterile.

The human mind will do the hard work for you to make the experience unique. 

I think a lot fo people underestimate the technology we have at the moment, and the speed which that technology develops and improves. In 20 years time, our technological advances will make the last 50 years look like the stone-age. 

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

The crowd who is emotionally vested in the league and who follow it from afar has surpassed the match-going fans a long time ago. The league exists for the TV audience now, not for the match-going fans.  It's difficult to see this trend being reversed. 

I think a lot fo people underestimate the technology we have at the moment, and the speed which that technology develops and improves. In 20 years time, our technological advances will make the last 50 years look like the stone-age. 

Well put twice.

That already happens - think of the number of unique opinions on the Ronaldo "Red".  I''d say 50% of what we see happens after the light hits the retina.

Sciatika   
4 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

I didn't doubt that the experience would be unique or that technology will develop in the next 5-10 years, let alone 20 or after I am long gone. I think my point is that much of what I like about the matchday experience is about tribalism and the experience of close interaction with like-minded people. I think, to an extent, that is what we lost with all-seater stadia and what we hope to get back with safe standing. I am not convinced that those things will be desired by the majority of those consuming TV signals. After all, different people probably have different ideas about the experience of games. For some that will be VR, but for others VR will never quite match physical attendance. I'd say celebrate the difference. The former can be multiplied easily and cheaply and will generate the revenue so that the latter (upon which I suspect it relies) can also be accommodated.

Ham   
4 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I didn't doubt that the experience would be unique or that technology will develop in the next 5-10 years, let alone 20 or after I am long gone. I think my point is that much of what I like about the matchday experience is about tribalism and the experience of close interaction with like-minded people. I think, to an extent, that is what we lost with all-seater stadia and what we hope to get back with safe standing. I am not convinced that those things will be desired by the majority of those consuming TV signals. After all, different people probably have different ideas about the experience of games. For some that will be VR, but for others VR will never quite match physical attendance. I'd say celebrate the difference. The former can be multiplied easily and cheaply and will generate the revenue so that the latter (upon which I suspect it relies) can also be accommodated.

Well said.  Football fans are different to those of any other sport. 

There's a place for those too far away from the ground to move from TV to VR and that's a natural progression.

Matchgoing fans will always be matchgoing fans in my opinion. You can't replicate the pre and post match beers, the buzz you get approaching the ground for the 100th/1000th time, the smell of the burgers, the camaraderie, the songs and the first hand interaction with the players and manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Well said.  Football fans are different to those of any other sport. 

There's a place for those too far away from the ground to move from TV to VR and that's a natural progression.

Matchgoing fans will always be matchgoing fans in my opinion. You can't replicate the pre and post match beers, the buzz you get approaching the ground for the 100th/1000th time, the smell of the burgers, the camaraderie, the songs and the first hand interaction with the players and manager.

I make you right Ham, as a matchgoing fan, it doesn't compare to watching on TV but sadly the Premier League cares more about impressing some fans in India or Botswana who have never been to a English stadium in their life.  We need to remember this game of ours is based on fans who go to games but we are basically ignored by Sky etc.

I hope never to watch a VR game in my living room if I could be standing in the rain on the terraces at Chelsea, Borehamwood or Dagenham, bovril in hand and so close to the action you can smell the sweat coming off the players Ballacks.

Edited by Gormangorman

chara   
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:03 PM, Gormangorman said:

I make you right Ham, as a matchgoing fan, it doesn't compare to watching on TV but sadly the Premier League cares more about impressing some fans in India or Botswana who have never been to a English stadium in their life.  We need to remember this game of ours is based on fans who go to games but we are basically ignored by Sky etc.

I hope never to watch a VR game in my living room if I could be standing in the rain on the terraces at Chelsea, Borehamwood or Dagenham, bovril in hand and so close to the action you can smell the sweat coming off the players Ballacks.

Absolutely...I miss the feeling of walking into SB on matchday even though the place has changed so much since I first attended and the atmosphere and sheer physical experience is something I probably will never experience again.

The other side is that I watch every Chelsea game live up in the Rocky Mountains more games than I was ever able to see in my younger days although as I said its a different experience and with instant replays many times an obvious incorrect referee decision is proven correct and visa versa of course.

Before blanket coverage we "knew" players were great because the papers told us and if lucky enough we saw a 'Great" once a season Now we make our own decisions on seeing a player every week if we so wish including players in other countries..real players not fabled names like Puskas and De Stephano etc.

I could afford to go to SB with ten bob note including programme and bus/tube fare as a young guy but now it looks beyond the pocket of a teenager and there is a difference I am sure.

I enjoy this forum so much as being so far away it keeps me in touch with the tribalism as someone pointed out and allows me to indulge in outrage and self assured righteousness over all the topics of the day!!

Thank You all for that.

Blue Rod   
On 18/06/2018 at 5:09 AM, Bob Singleton said:

We could double the stadium capacity by making the seats half as wide! All of that work could be completed in a matter of weeks.

Given that the current seats barely cover Rafa Benitez a**e, we should be prepared to use the expansion money instead to fight equality and fat discrimination lawsuits, eh?

Edited by Blue Rod

Ham   

Interesting comments on the skyscraper city site about how Earls Court might not actually be dead in the water due to issues over the plans and a massive drop in the projected value of the CapCo project.  

Would be perfect if possible. The same beautiful new stadium on a larger footprint, symmetrical and without the massive extra expense of building on the tiny site.

Additionally, and more importantly, no need to play at Wembley during construction.

That would leave us free to sell the SB site upon completion. 

Just hypothetical at this moment but would be a perfect solution...... If the owner was actually allowed into the country.....

....... Or if Jim Jeffries goes ahead and buys as the Secret Footballer alleged.

paulw66   
2 hours ago, Ham said:

Interesting comments on the skyscraper city site about how Earls Court might not actually be dead in the water due to issues over the plans and a massive drop in the projected value of the CapCo project.  

Would be perfect if possible. The same beautiful new stadium on a larger footprint, symmetrical and without the massive extra expense of building on the tiny site.

Additionally, and more importantly, no need to play at Wembley during construction.

That would leave us free to sell the SB site upon completion. 

Just hypothetical at this moment but would be a perfect solution...... If the owner was actually allowed into the country.....

....... Or if Jim Jeffries goes ahead and buys as the Secret Footballer alleged.

That would be perfect. Move barely a mile down the road, and like you say, no need for temporary accomodation. 

What site is this?