• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

New Stadium Plans

Dingus   

So the new Spurs stadium looks nice.

Gutted that we're not getting a new Stamford Bridge in the near future.

4 minutes ago, Dingus said:

So the new Spurs stadium looks nice.

Gutted that we're not getting a new Stamford Bridge in the near future.

It's like putting lipstick on a pig.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

20 miles is ridiculous and wont happen 

Sure - I was just explaining I'd be happy with a move of much more than 2 miles.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

They have already voted. Refused to sell RA the shares without the guarantees on the new ground. 

People's vote?  Or does that not apply to Remain?

31 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's like putting lipstick on a pig.

If that does it for you....

Jasonb   

I quite liked the idea of Earls Court as still central for our diverse support both South and North of the Thames.

We might end up as far West as Ealing to find a suitable venue, if was Ealing for example that's about 30 mins by tube from London Victoria.

I think the venue location might well impact crowd size.

12 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I quite liked the idea of Earls Court as still central for our diverse support both South and North of the Thames.

We might end up as far West as Ealing to find a suitable venue, if was Ealing for example that's about 30 mins by tube from London Victoria.

Our fan base is centred around Twickenham. Moving out south west would increase attendances most likely. 

I think that the way the past year has evolved, Roman becomes less likely by the day to be interested in investing huge amounts of money in a new stadium (whether at the current SB location, or elsewhere).

Personally, I can see him selling up and moving on. Alternatively, he may do some needed cosmetics to SB, buy some new faces, and settle in.

18 hours ago, Jasonb said:

I work in Ealing. It's one of London's bigger LAs and not all of it is especially well-served by public transport. Struggling off the top of my head to think of anywhere central to the borough with space for a stadium, so you'd be looking at Southall/Perivale/Northolt or towards the north, bordering with Shepherd's Bush. I'd struggle to see that happening, personally.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/exclusive-chelsea-stadium-designers-look-at-new-sites-in-bid-to-cut-costs/10042413.article

Came across this article. There aren't any sources to suggest any of it is true but I doubt the New Civil Engineer is a tabloid so I wonder who would leak the information, possibly misinformation, and what their motives would be.

Could be the club positioning themselves to try and get the contractors to reduce the price, or trying to make SB seem undevelopable with a view to moving.

44 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/exclusive-chelsea-stadium-designers-look-at-new-sites-in-bid-to-cut-costs/10042413.article

Came across this article. There aren't any sources to suggest any of it is true but I doubt the New Civil Engineer is a tabloid so I wonder who would leak the information, possibly misinformation, and what their motives would be.

Could be the club positioning themselves to try and get the contractors to reduce the price, or trying to make SB seem undevelopable with a view to moving.

As it is, it may be true - that is I am sure anyone with an available site in the area to sell will offer it to Chelsea and we will take a look at it.
That is a long way short of us being about to sign a deal on a new site though.

The big question for me is the rise in cost on the old plan from £500m to £1bn.
Did the rise cause us to pull out?  Or did we decide to pull out, and pre-announced an exaggerated cost rise so the decision to withdraw was more easily accepted by fans and media.

Flinkers   
3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

As it is, it may be true - that is I am sure anyone with an available site in the area to sell will offer it to Chelsea and we will take a look at it.
That is a long way short of us being about to sign a deal on a new site though.

The big question for me is the rise in cost on the old plan from £500m to £1bn.
Did the rise cause us to pull out?  Or did we decide to pull out, and pre-announced an exaggerated cost rise so the decision to withdraw was more easily accepted by fans and media.

The projected cost was always wildly optimistic, considering the complexity of the design, cramped site constraints and engineering works required. That was even before allowing for any sort of delays or rises in construction costs which are inevitable on a project of this length so your second scenario sounds more likely to me.

Two examples of large scale Herzog & de Meuron work -

Allianz Arena cost £300m to build (15 years ago) on a brownfield site, with no neighbours and a simpler facade. The Elbphilharmonie was originally projected to cost €70m and ended up costing 10x that much with a construction time 3 times longer than estimated. That building had a similarly complex form to our new stadium design and was also built in / on top of an existing urban fabric.

New WHL had a threefold increase to ca. £1bn over its 3 year construction period and had to deal with only some of the issues we will face. The revised cost for our stadium still seems like creative estimating to me and regardless of it currently being a "poor investment climate" I can't see the price coming down at all, new site or not.

Maybe it's part of Abramovich's plan to set the strongest possible sale platform? Appease the fans with wow-factor, provide a blueprint for site maximisation and obtain a valid planning permission before selling at an inflated price - all fairly standard developer tactics...

• Like 1