• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

New Stadium Plans

Recommended Posts

Holymoly   

Telegraph has an article behind their paywall about the stadiums plans today? Is the planning permission about to run out or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sciatika   

The journalist is saying it is 4 months to the expiration of planning permission. The club agreed to have begun by 31st March. But the journalist says there is no indication of it happening or that it will happen. He says that the delay was explained as waiting for better conditions but says that it is really due to the Visa problem. But if the deadline missed then the whole process will have to start again. It is down to RA what happens next. A repeat printing of photos we have seen before. There is very little news there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leo91   

I used to be quite envious of these new stadiums. But the more time goes on the more sterile the sport becomes to me. The longer Stamford Bridge remains the way it is the more special it becomes as everything else around it modernises. From a selfish POV it's very hard to get tickets as a non member, and even if I did get a membership, they will go the those with more points. We could easily fill more, but lets not do it for the sake of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

I used to be quite envious of these new stadiums. But the more time goes on the more sterile the sport becomes to me. The longer Stamford Bridge remains the way it is the more special it becomes as everything else around it modernises. From a selfish POV it's very hard to get tickets as a non member, and even if I did get a membership, they will go the those with more points. We could easily fill more, but lets not do it for the sake of it. 

It’s become harder to get tickets as a member too. A few seasons back you could get tickets as a member for majority of games home and away, you might struggle for the really big games away from home.

Now it has certainly become harder. I have tickets for the two games this week, Villa was easy enough, but Everton away I was online from 7am on the day of sale and I have ended up with restricted view ticket. Around 7-8 years back this was a easy enough game to get a ticket for.

I do feel we need another 15000-20000 capacity at home to level the playing field with our peers, but general speaking, the new stadiums I have been to in recent years are pretty horrible places. For example , Middlesbrough, Reading, Bolton, Sunderland ,but I’m sure we would do a better job and have something more similar to Spurs new one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
25 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

 

I do feel we need another 15000-20000 capacity at home to level the playing field with our peers, but general speaking, the new stadiums I have been to in recent years are pretty horrible places. For example , Middlesbrough, Reading, Bolton, Sunderland ,but I’m sure we would do a better job and have something more similar to Spurs new one.

If nothing else, SB would remain where it is if the plans go ahead.

Most modern stadia are in the middle of nowhere with no decent pubs/restaruants within half an hour's walk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leo91   

Even while the Spurs one looks nice and I was a little jelly at first. I'd rather have our traditional foundations (as much as they are today) to a complete redevelopment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we had a stadium that had a red brick facade like Villa or Rangers, I could understand the want to stick to what we have but SB apart from some sections of the East and West are pretty horrible experience. I have a season ticket in the MHL and half time is just carnage, no room to walk, three deep queue to take a slash, no ventilation so becomes a sweat box, 10 minutes plus to get a beer if you do not leave by the 42nd minute. East upper and the West Lower and Upper are better but it is similar in the Shed, MHU and East Lower (I've not been in the E/W middle.) 

Further, the stadium is also pretty ugly as it is a mish mash of 70s/90's architecture which was pretty crap. If the stadium plan was to build a Emirates or a Etihad, again I could understand the want to stick with SB, but the plan that was approved was amazing. For me, a new stadium is a must as the stadium is not up to stratch and it is also an issue for lots of causual fans to get tickets. 

Edited by King Kante
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
1 hour ago, King Kante said:

If we had a stadium that had a red brick facade like Villa or Rangers, I could understand the want to stick to what we have but SB apart from some sections of the East and West are pretty horrible experience. I have a season ticket in the MHL and half time is just carnage, no room to walk, three deep queue to take a slash, no ventilation so becomes a sweat box, 10 minutes plus to get a beer if you do not leave by the 42nd minute. East upper and the West Lower and Upper are better but it is similar in the Shed, MHU and East Lower (I've not been in the E/W middle.) 

Further, the stadium is also pretty ugly as it is a mish mash of 70s/90's architecture which was pretty crap. If the stadium plan was to build a Emirates or a Etihad, again I could understand the want to stick with SB, but the plan that was approved was amazing. For me, a new stadium is a must as the stadium is not up to stratch and it is also an issue for lots of causual fans to get tickets. 

Spot on.

The stadium is Trigger's Broom. 

The oldest part dates back to the 1970s, excluding the Shed wall. 

No cohesion in the design, even between the West Stand and the other new stands.  Unforgivable clumsiness. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, King Kante said:

 I have a season ticket in the MHL and half time is just carnage, no room to walk, three deep queue to take a slash, no ventilation so becomes a sweat box, 10 minutes plus to get a beer if you do not leave by the 42nd minute.

Not had a season ticket since 1970s, and this sounds a luxury to me compared to the old "new" west stand.  
But as I thought at the time, if you are paying West End theatre ticket prices or more, you deserve something a lot better.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ham said:

Spot on.

The stadium is Trigger's Broom. 

The oldest part dates back to the 1970s, excluding the Shed wall. 

No cohesion in the design, even between the West Stand and the other new stands.  Unforgivable clumsiness. 

To be fair a lot of stadiums that redeveloped after 92 followed a similar pattern in that they took it one stand at a time. Look at Old Trafford, Villa Park etc. We did try to go for the wrap around/cohesive option in the 70s but that nearly bankrupted us and we only ended up with just the East Stand. That said, East Stand Upper for views is amazing as the rake is steep. Best place by a mile to watch a game from in non-posh seats in the current SB. 

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not had a season ticket since 1970s, and this sounds a luxury to me compared to the old "new" west stand.  
But as I thought at the time, if you are paying West End theatre ticket prices or more, you deserve something a lot better.
 

Haha, of course. I am just about old enough (and have a really good memory) to remember my Dad taking me to SB before the 90's redevelopment, the current version of SB is of course better than that. However, when you see the Spud Bowl it is hard not to be jealous. Additionally, when you see the income even the Dippers have been able to rake in from developing Anfield you start to realise the amount of money such a facility can generate.

Personally, it is the space that gets me the most with the current stadium as I just want to get a beer at HT without 10 people spilling their beer on me as they try and squeeze past me half cut. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now