• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

New Stadium Plans

Recommended Posts

Having worked from a home base for 30 years, it's rather amusing to see the office addicts figuring out how to self-discipline, keep the kids out of the office (locked door), avoid domestic duties encroaching (locked door again) and so on. It's the future - get used to it. Why travel in rush-hour and waste an hour or three travelling every day when you can wander down the stairs and do a day's work in the comfort of home?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man Utd to trial barrier seating at Old Trafford for 2020-21 season

Hopefully a sign that this will become a trend and I can experience proper standing areas at the Bridge for the first time in my life. 

Our atmosphere has declined so much during the 2010s decade. I sometimes can't be bothered to go to games anymore solely because the atmosphere is so poor from how it used to be during my childhood and teens in the 2000s. 

I look back at Season Reviews of the 90s and the crowd burst for a goal had so much more energy and was so much louder. 

I'd imagine Standing Areas will be inextricably tied to better atmospheres. Bring them on!!! Well overdue. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they allow safe standing , once again Roman looks like a genius , extra capacity , no building required . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

If they allow safe standing , once again Roman looks like a genius , extra capacity , no building required . 

It isn't extra capacity the club can use until improved exit routes have been built first.  

And I would be surprised if we get 43k again for a few years yet.  If they make people sit with gaps between on aircraft for an hour, it could well be the same for a 90 min game.

Still the no-rebuild decision looks very smart from all respects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

It isn't extra capacity the club can use until improved exit routes have been built first.  

And I would be surprised if we get 43k again for a few years yet.  If they make people sit with gaps between on aircraft for an hour, it could well be the same for a 90 min game.

Still the no-rebuild decision looks very smart from all respects.

Yes, access is the biggest issue at SB as there is only one exit. Ergo, the move to safe standing would probably only add an extra few thousand at most (approx 2-5k.) As for the covid situation, there is obviously a lot of questions around when grounds will reopen. However, I am fairly certain people will go when they can. 

As for the rebuild, I think when looking at the figures for SB, there is no financial basis for it. £1bn plus for an increase of 17,000 is crazy economics, even when taking in the extra corporate money. Further, due to its position the rules over events being held there would be tight so the club wouldn't be able to hold many external events I.e. boxing, concerts etc. 

In my opinion, the only way we move or get a new stadium now is if we can get some sort if agreement for EC. That way, we would be able to generate some money from the sale of SB, have less costly building issues and probably could get further rights to hold more events. This is obviously dependent on Roman's risk tolerance, because, as Warren Buffet says on investing, 'be fearful when others are greedy, be greedy when others are fearful', 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Yes, access is the biggest issue at SB as there is only one exit. Ergo, the move to safe standing would probably only add an extra few thousand at most (approx 2-5k.) As for the covid situation, there is obviously a lot of questions around when grounds will reopen. However, I am fairly certain people will go when they can. 

 

I suspect we are much closer to the exiting limit than you think, I'd be surprised if we could add a single seat extra person to our capacity.   Indeed capacity was 42,449 in 11/12 but has been reduced to 40,853 in 18/19, a drop of 1600 seats  (anyone know why?).  And for CL/EL games it is smaller because TV facilities make exit room smaller.


Besides rail seating gives you no extra seats just the same numbers in the same space (eg Celtic or Bayern).  Other types of seating add (if I recall right) no more than 20 to 40% more places.  To add 5k in attendance a club with no egress issues would need to replace 12.5k to 25k existing seats with 17.5k and 30k standing spaces and then be sure that the standing places can be sold without a 20-40% discount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King Kante said:

Yes, access is the biggest issue at SB as there is only one exit.

Eh? Last time I looked there was the Bovril gate, the Stamford gate and the Britannia gate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, blue moon said:

Eh? Last time I looked there was the Bovril gate, the Stamford gate and the Britannia gate. 

All on to the same road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I suspect we are much closer to the exiting limit than you think, I'd be surprised if we could add a single seat extra person to our capacity.   Indeed capacity was 42,449 in 11/12 but has been reduced to 40,853 in 18/19, a drop of 1600 seats  (anyone know why?).  And for CL/EL games it is smaller because TV facilities make exit room smaller.


Besides rail seating gives you no extra seats just the same numbers in the same space (eg Celtic or Bayern).  Other types of seating add (if I recall right) no more than 20 to 40% more places.  To add 5k in attendance a club with no egress issues would need to replace 12.5k to 25k existing seats with 17.5k and 30k standing spaces and then be sure that the standing places can be sold without a 20-40% discount.

I think the reduction was due to: 

1) They stopped selling tickets in the far left hand corner (under the clock) of the MHL next to the East Stand owing to the sightlines and possibly the people that were sitting there. 

2) I believe they added some extra corporate seats around that time which took down the total number. 

3) There was talk about issues in the East Stand with the sightline in the Lower and the the height/rake in the upper. Not sure if this caused any seat reduction as I have not been up there since 2007 but I remember hearing about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... with several exits off it to the south, as well as the choice to go east or west along Fulham Palace road. I get your point,  but surely that could be overcome by opening a route onto Seagrave Road (swift bung to the residents fixes that).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now