• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

New Stadium Plans

Sciatika   

I expect he will evaluate his options as a businessman. What will it cost in capital outlay? Can I ease those costs by spreading them over time or finding a partner? What extra revenue will I get in return? Can the extra revenue make a significant difference when attempting to increase the value of the club as an asset? and so on.

It is very very early to be making decisions now.

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

I expect he will evaluate his options as a businessman. What will it cost in capital outlay? Can I ease those costs by spreading them over time or finding a partner? What extra revenue will I get in return? Can the extra revenue make a significant difference when attempting to increase the value of the club as an asset? and so on.

... can I sell the extra seats?   Can I even sell the seats we have at the Bridge?  Will people ever travel again in numbers by tube*.  How much am I willing to commit in 2020 or 2021 without knowing just how demand and economies may bounce back and what the new normal will be about crowds and transport.   

*Never mind leaving every other seat empty, how does Fulham Broadway or Earl's Court tube work in the new world?
It might be that on ingress/egress alone, a post-covid review might reduce SB capacity to 30k or less with no change.

Ham   
6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

It is very very early to be making decisions now.

... can I sell the extra seats?   Can I even sell the seats we have at the Bridge?  Will people ever travel again in numbers by tube*.  How much am I willing to commit in 2020 or 2021 without knowing just how demand and economies may bounce back and what the new normal will be about crowds and transport.   

*Never mind leaving every other seat empty, how does Fulham Broadway or Earl's Court tube work in the new world?
It might be that on ingress/egress alone, a post-covid review might reduce SB capacity to 30k or less with no change.

You're of course assuming that it won't just cease to be an issue in the near future like SARS.  

1 hour ago, Ham said:

You're of course assuming that it won't just cease to be an issue in the near future like SARS.  

I wasn't assuming anything, just pointing out the unknowns, but I take your point.
That is just one question about the actual virus effect (and in many senses I think it is already in the past).

But SARS didn't just stop being an issue in the regions where it was active.  You'll have noticed Asian tourists in Europe wearing masks for years later and I'm pretty sure it must have affected their willingness to go into big crowds, and building regulations in say HK or Singapore.  We forgot it because we never had it much.
Even if a magic vaccine resolved all concerns, there has been a big change in behaviour which will not reverse easily.  (Larkin said that "sex began in 1963, a bit late for me" - my Mother agrees.  If you are my age you may recall that sex ended in 1983 (HIV) - a bit too soon for some of us.  That might be an exaggeration, I know, but for students now?)

And the effect on our economy is not temporary.  Dome 15% of GDP will be borrowed this year taking us close to 100% debt/GDP (and that is on the naive assumption that GDP does not drop).  Unwinding that will mean a weak economy for the next 5-10 years.  A lot of peoples spending habits are about to change.

Ham   
41 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I wasn't assuming anything, just pointing out the unknowns, but I take your point.
That is just one question about the actual virus effect (and in many senses I think it is already in the past).

But SARS didn't just stop being an issue in the regions where it was active.  You'll have noticed Asian tourists in Europe wearing masks for years later and I'm pretty sure it must have affected their willingness to go into big crowds, and building regulations in say HK or Singapore.  We forgot it because we never had it much.
Even if a magic vaccine resolved all concerns, there has been a big change in behaviour which will not reverse easily.  (Larkin said that "sex began in 1963, a bit late for me" - my Mother agrees.  If you are my age you may recall that sex ended in 1983 (HIV) - a bit too soon for some of us.  That might be an exaggeration, I know, but for students now?)

And the effect on our economy is not temporary.  Dome 15% of GDP will be borrowed this year taking us close to 100% debt/GDP (and that is on the naive assumption that GDP does not drop).  Unwinding that will mean a weak economy for the next 5-10 years.  A lot of peoples spending habits are about to change.

Agreed behaviour and spending might change but I foresee permission being granted sooner rather than later for grounds to be full again. 

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Agreed behaviour and spending might change but I foresee permission being granted sooner rather than later for grounds to be full again. 

Much sooner than demand, yes.  But we have talked about elsewhere, once the people have been steered to avoid close contact, it will be a lot harder to unsteer them.

12 hours ago, Ham said:

I'm genuinely fascinated to see what club's regular match goers will do when told they can go back. I don't even know for sure what I'll do, never mind what anyone else will. Part of me think football, and especially modern PL football, is too big and all-encompassing to not go back to normal. Another part of me wonders, though.

Sciatika   
13 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I'm genuinely fascinated to see what club's regular match goers will do when told they can go back. I don't even know for sure what I'll do, never mind what anyone else will. Part of me think football, and especially modern PL football, is too big and all-encompassing to not go back to normal. Another part of me wonders, though.

What's "normal"?

Ham   
Just now, Sciatika said:

What's "normal"?

Packed, with the exception of the Etihad. 

• Haha 2

paulw66   
26 minutes ago, Ham said:

Packed, with the exception of the Etihad. 

When we are allowed back, the ground will sell out, staight away. I have no fear on that. Just look at the beaches yesterday, and surely again today

it's too dangerous to go back to work. It is too dangerous to get kids in school.......... day at the beach with thousands of others? yeah, ok.