• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

New Stadium Plans

Oh I'm only basing this on the limited pictures and info we have at this stage so I may be way off base here with my fears.

But basically, I'm struggling to see how we can keep the "closeness" to the pitch while expanding with nearly 20,000 seats. More likely than not, the extra space won't be had in height (dig 4m down, no extra height on top) so as far as I'm able to extrapolate that will have to been less steep stands and hence the fans will be further away from the pitch.

Logically, any added seat would have to be further away from the pitch (unless you're making the seats smaller or find a more efficient way of arranging them). So on average the fans will be further away.

But if they're cramming 20k more people into basically the same quare footage, I doubt you'll lose any "closeness". Should help on that front, if anything.

is it me or has everything they said couldn't be done a couple of years ago suddenly now all seems possible.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2014/07/the-future-of-Stamford-bridge.html

Yes something like that was buzzing in my head, and I'm glad you put it into words.

If so I guess it means that the borough won and made us go for the expensive versio.

Yes something like that was buzzing in my head, and I'm glad you put it into words.

If so I guess it means that the borough won and made us go for the expensive version.

Think the main thing that has changed it that Roman has decided money is no object. This has opened up the option of the walkway to Fulham Broadway and the one behind the East Stand to Fulham Road which have eased the highly awkward egress issues. And the change in regime at the council must be a crucial factor too. In purely financial terms the plans make no logical business sense (even if it costs £500m and I reckon it'll be a lot more) but thankfully Roman has said go ahead regardless. And it's absolutely fantastic news.

Oh I'm only basing this on the limited pictures and info we have at this stage so I may be way off base here with my fears.

But basically, I'm struggling to see how we can keep the "closeness" to the pitch while expanding with nearly 20,000 seats. More likely than not, the extra space won't be had in height (dig 4m down, no extra height on top) so as far as I'm able to extrapolate that will have to been less steep stands and hence the fans will be further away from the pitch.

But as I said - only guesswork so I may be way off here.

The Emirates (and Wembley) are horrible grounds in this regard. Sitting at the back of the lower tier means you see sweet FA of the pitch - you sit too far away.

Ah I see, fair enough. I may be wrong but I think someone posted earlier in the thread that they were told the stands would be closer to the pitch so that might help slightly. I'm just happy it's not a complete bowl which is what I thought you meant when comparing it to the Emirates.

The upper tiers will apparently be 35 degrees which is actually one degree more than the recommended maximum slope as stated in the Stadium Green Guide. This is barely less than the current East Stand Upper Tier and I asked one of the consultants how that worked. He said that they were just recommended limits but that if a club exceeded them they have to put in additional compensatory features like extra hand rails and a maybe bar in front of every seat (he said they do this in Galatasaray's new ground). So basically the people in the upper tier will be as close to the pitch as they can be though some may well be slightly further away than currently (though remember it's the new fans who will get these seats). You also need to consider the fact that the ground will all be enclosed rather than the mish-mash of stands we have currently with the awkward way they join with each other. The fact that the roof will be more substantial and 'reflect crowd noise back into the stadium' will also help every spectator feel close to the action. That's what I was told anyway and it makes sense to me.

Khobar   

I think it looks fantastic (other than losing Under The Bridge). What do they call Old Trafford? The theatre of Dreams? Carry on dreaming guys, this is The Cathedral of Football.

I think £500 million is wildly optimistic looking at what other stadia have cost. I would think double that. That is why we have always been up for a move................ IMO

is it me or has everything they said couldn't be done a couple of years ago suddenly now all seems possible.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2014/07/the-future-of-Stamford-bridge.html

That is very interesting and lots to discuss. The most glaring thing is possibly the fact it says FB station is already at full capacity and wouldn't be able to cope with more fans. Well, the walkway is going to give it a lot more fans, so I'm not sure how that tallies.