• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

New Stadium Plans

Got to wonder what the actual latest news on this is? Will we hear anything this summer?

That is a good read from the Spurs bloke, but it essentially suggests that we are at the mercy of Network Rail, which I can't believe. Having heard all sorts of whispers around the place about alternative grounds whilst the work is completed and rumours of a deal being close for Wembley, does anybody else think the club have been incredibly quiet RE: the new stadium for a while now..? 

8 minutes ago, the_line_131 said:

Got to wonder what the actual latest news on this is? Will we hear anything this summer?

That is a good read from the Spurs bloke, but it essentially suggests that we are at the mercy of Network Rail, which I can't believe. Having heard all sorts of whispers around the place about alternative grounds whilst the work is completed and rumours of a deal being close for Wembley, does anybody else think the club have been incredibly quiet RE: the new stadium for a while now..? 

Did you read the addendum at the bottom, written by a railway expert?  Since the 2005 collapse of the tunnel at Gerrards Cross where a Tesco superstore was due to be built over an existing railway track, extra safeguards have had to be included in the building of any structures over tracks. However, as the expert explains, these are not insurmountable.

I think the major stumbling block will be the inconvenience caused to local businesses and residents during the demolition and building works. Just think of the number of lorries removing rubble in an already highly congested part of London, then add those bringing materials when the building work starts. The noise, the dust, the congestion... it'll take years before we manage to get everyone happy enough for us to start.

Ham   

The locals are going to suffer inconvenience regardless of whether we rebuild or sell and move elsewhere. It's either going to be a new stadium or luxury housing. 

I have absolutely no sympathy for the locals as the price of housing near to the ground is lower than elsewhere in the postcode BECAUSE of their proximity to a football stadium. 

A stadium has been there since the 1880s.  They haven't. 

19 hours ago, Diego Costa lot said:

Any more news at all? Probably discussed, but is the capacity we are looking at enough? I can't help but feel a few more thousand would be more suffice, unless the possibility of future extension exists?

I think we've maxed out the (prospective) capacity to be honest. There just isn't any more space. 

10 hours ago, Ham said:

The locals are going to suffer inconvenience regardless of whether we rebuild or sell and move elsewhere. It's either going to be a new stadium or luxury housing. 

I have absolutely no sympathy for the locals as the price of housing near to the ground is lower than elsewhere in the postcode BECAUSE of their proximity to a football stadium. 

Good points Ham.

Either way the old stadium will be demolished at some point.

RE the Spurs article, Dan Levene refuted a couple of the claims made in the Spurs article, namely the nuclear waste trains passing under the East stand

11 hours ago, Ham said:

Or it could remain as it currently is for the next twenty plus years, with no extra disruption to the locals' lives! 

I'm not sure where we could move to now. All the potential sites we were looking at (Battersea Power Station, Earl's Court, etc) are now being developed, so are no longer available, and there are no other potential sites locally available now, or (attempting to use a crystal ball here) likely to become available in the next ten to twenty years. So we can't move. Therefore the notion of us selling up and it becoming a different sort of building site, this time for luxury housing, is somewhat fanciful.

There could be enough sustained objections from local residents and businesses to stop us redeveloping for many, many years to come. I can envisage the current Stamford Bridge (with possibly a few minor alterations) still being around for another twenty years.

Holymoly   

Maybe we could suggest the idea of Boris Island as an alternative?

Sciatika   

The planning application will be submitted to LBHF. The club does not have to get LBKC residents onside because they don't vote for LBHF council. I doubt we will see any objection from Royal Parks - they won't want to get involved. TFL might object but it could equally be argued that what we propose would have a positive effect because the overground would be less exposed to the elements. I can see that one either way. I can't imagine Stoll having much of a problem with it either. Nor local businesses. So, the most likely objections will come from local residents to the North and West. What the club has to do is to create a plan which sufficiently benefits the public in the locality such that these objections become just the bleating of a small number of selfish people hell-bent on ruining it for everyone else. It's what Lenin called the tyranny of the majority.

Edited by Sciatika