• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

New Stadium Plans

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

What will our friends in Liverpool make of this?

I read somewhere that a section of Liverpool fans were polled (it may even have been Hillsborough families) and they were overwhelmingly in favour, which was quite refreshing.

Ham   
7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well good luck with that.  I very much doubt it will ever happen.  Most people under 40  50 won't want to stand, they have never known standing.  And those over 40  50 won't want to stand either.

60,000 - oh good.

We all had the same discussion about a year ago. I'm not sure you're au fait with how safe standing actually works. It's far safer than standing in front of your current seat as you cannot fall forward. 

If anyone has been to the 02 arena in London they'll know just how dangerous it can be standing even temporarily or trying to pass others to get to your seat. It's ridiculously steep.  

It won't go unnoticed that its working fine at Celtic and it certainly adds to the atmosphere. I'm convinced it'll be at least trialled in the top two divisions within the next couple of years. Especially when it's proven that there's a real clamour for it amongst the majority of fans. It wouldn't be compulsory so you'd still be free to sit elsewhere if you wished. 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

We all had the same discussion about a year ago. I'm not sure you're au fait with how safe standing actually works. It's far safer than standing in front of your current seat as you cannot fall forward. 

If anyone has been to the 02 arena in London they'll know just how dangerous it can be standing even temporarily or trying to pass others to get to your seat. It's ridiculously steep.  

It won't go unnoticed that its working fine at Celtic and it certainly adds to the atmosphere. I'm convinced it'll be at least trialled in the top two divisions within the next couple of years. Especially when it's proven that there's a real clamour for it amongst the majority of fans. It wouldn't be compulsory so you'd still be free to sit elsewhere if you wished. 

Athough I agree with just about everything you say here, I think the comment I've hilighted is probably optimistic. Surely before any club can initiate 'trials', the politicians have to change the law? What's the chance of that happening within the next couple of years, if ever?

Ham   
2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Athough I agree with just about everything you say here, I think the comment I've hilighted is probably optimistic. Surely before any club can initiate 'trials', the politicians have to change the law? What's the chance of that happening within the next couple of years, if ever?

If it starts looking like a vote winner it's incredible what's possible. 

21 hours ago, paulw66 said:

What will our friends in Liverpool make of this? 

Great news, I think in terms of both atmosphere and affordable tickets. Don't see a downside. 

Should make it also in the away area, see how many come and add to the atmosphere.

paulw66   
2 hours ago, exiledblue said:

Should make it also in the away area, see how many come and add to the atmosphere.

why do you want the away area to have a better atmosphere?

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

why do you want the away area to have a better atmosphere?

I like atmosphere from wherever it comes, football grounds have become sterile at times but it was more an observation, perhaps too subtle, that Liverpool fans might not like it and might not attend if they were given standing room due to their delicate disposition to the problems of terracing (rather than how their fans behave in terracing)

Being under 50 and remembering standing, I'm not sure what group I fit in...

There are pros and cons with either arrangement.  I remember in my younger days making my way to a free safety barrier, and watching numerous fans chicken dance their way under them to shortcut the aisle queues, awaiting one to misjudge their head size.  In those days there was a wire fence at the front as well, and peeing was in a communal gutter.  At the time it was good just to walk in anywhere before the match, during the match, and walking out for a toilet break was easy, but at my age then, my view was always impaired, and I had to find a rare space by the fence to see any football, and of cause search again for uncle and brother at the whistle.

Moving to the seated areas almost guaranteed a better view, but not without spending several times standing up to join in the singing (which you just can't do sitting down), especially "stand up, if you...", or to let someone out, which took forever in seated sections, and put me off bothering until half-time.  I also agree that in some cases steps are laid very steep and one clip off the back of the chair in front while walking through, especially when just filling up the stadium, and you'd be in a for an almighty tumble.

Now I have had a nice journey of reminiscence (the main reason I wanted to post here :-) )... fortunately safe standing offers both options so it can only be a good thing.  The real question is how best to implement it.  Surely the more family orientated areas should remained seated (stewards would have to police this though as I believe the seats aren't held down), and the vocal areas should be set to standing room only.

Vinod   

Safe standing sounds good on paper, but I doubt it will have a significant effect on the atmosphere. That being said, the bigger issue is ticket prices. A lot regulars probably pick and choose games across the season. A stand might end up with about 2-3 fans trying to get chants going. There need to be pockets with 40 odd fans sitting together and singing. That can get a stand going. To be fair, I, with my very limited exposure, don't think this is a problem restriced to Chelsea. 

Also, I didn't see anyone in the away end sit at any point during the game. Wonder how that was allowed by the stewards.

paulw66   
15 hours ago, Vinod said:

Also, I didn't see anyone in the away end sit at any point during the game. Wonder how that was allowed by the stewards.

well, you try and get 3k people to sit down.