Sir

Squad Status: 2016/2017 Season

1,184 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

You can't say that with any certainty, and neither can I. Let's say instead, that we 'collectively' we haven't done a great job with him. And really, I'm not sure how you can arrive at the claim that our managers "had very little to do with it"? Their responsibility, their choice, unless you think that Emenalo does their job for them?

I didn't say anything like that. I think though, that he deserved better than he got (at least, to-date) - a chance, if nothing else.  Which really, IS what I said - nothing more, or less - and I'm really not sure what the (your) problem is with that?

I thought it was pretty clear that the person at the club who's responsible for loaning the 'loan army' lads out is Emenalo and his team. A first team coach or manager simply wouldn't have time to deal with those issues as we're talking about quite a few players. And it's been covered that he and his team are indeed the personnel at the club doing this. 

Of course, if one of the managers had said that any loan player should stay because they'd be part of the squad and a genuine option (see Moses this season) then I'm sure Emenalo wouldn't loan him out. Problem with Bamford is that he never showed that potential and it would have been unfair to him to have him stick around doing what Solanke is doing this season. Look at Bats. No doubt a lot better than Bamford and he's barely played all season! 

True stuff.  But I'd add one thing.

While most players inevitably disappoint as they grow into adults (just a fact), the club does not (should not) be planning for the level the player will probably end up.  They should be planning for the player to be a surprising success.  
Thus if a player goes on loan to a good club and is not quite up to it - this is a mistake for the player but not for the club.  The right result for the club is Tammy Abrahams, the player who surprises us all by being even better than expected.

So if a player can't cut it at 19 in the Championship or at 21 in the Prem, the club's job is to find out as soon as possible, not to protect the player so he eventually makes it as a Championship player at 23 but with no transfer fee for the club and just the first 5 year wage bill.

In other words don't blame club or Emenalo, we are right to be setting these kids up for failure - that is the nature of being a potential football star.

I have heard from several sources (including Dan Levene) that the club wanted Bamford to do another season in the Championship after his Boro season. But Bamford insisted on trying his luck in the PL. Also, they advised him to drop down a level when things did not work out last season, but Bamford rejected. Always easy to blame the club, and who knows what is true or not here, but when you so massively underachieve at three different PL clubs in a row, the player surely has to take more than part of the blame too.

Style wise, Bamford is the kind of player that would have cleaned up in the 90s as a second striker. Le tissier, Sheringham, Zola, etc.

But I don't see him as a 10 or a 9 and he's not quick enough to play wide.

I still think eventually he could have a decent career in the prem but needs to knuckle down in the champ first to get his stock back up.