Sir

Squad Status: 2016/2017 Season

1,219 posts in this topic

I'm not sure what the fuss about Van Dijk is.

Not overly impressed and the one time I saw him play in the flesh I was rather underwhelmed. Seems fairly average to me? 

11 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Personally, I dont see that anything would be gained from sending Ake on yet another loan next season. He is ready and he is very useful as a versatile defensive or midfield option.

If you added say Llorente to that lot, plus a few of the best loanees, you would have a great and very deep squad, but there is no way we are going to get 3 players of the quality of Sanchez, Veratti and van Dijk in one window. It will be intersting to see which areas that Conte chooses to strengthen first.

I entirely agree on Ake. Another loan is pointless. He went to Watford, did well, went to Bournemouth and did well enough for us to recall him and turn down an 18m offer for him (apparently). Use or sell him would be choice.

Llorente would be an ideal 2nd choice CF. wouldn't cost too much and don't suppose would demand to play every game.

With regard to the last paragraph, why couldn't we sign those 3? Sanchez's contract situation is well known, van Dijk (with the greatest respect) is only playing for Southampton and I imagine would jump at the chance to play CL football. That just leaves Veratti, who again I could imagine being tempted to join Conte in a league that is far more competitive than the one he currently plays in. 

Yes, would be expensive, but we are already "up" with the sale of Oscar in January, plus the wages of Mikel and Ivanovic have been removed. 

Just now, Sleeping Dave said:

Not overly impressed and the one time I saw him play in the flesh I was rather underwhelmed. Seems fairly average to me? 

Particularly when we have Christiensen waiting in the wings. 

26 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

His profile is what makes him appealing. He's got size, which we lack a little off. While also being good on the ball. Would make sense if we revert Dave out to WB next season. 

4 minutes ago, zaffo said:

His profile is what makes him appealing. He's got size, which we lack a little off. While also being good on the ball. Would make sense if we revert Dave out to WB next season. 

I personally can't see that happening on a full time basis , despite a few not rating Moses and Alonso , every time he's had the opportunity to do so Conte has praised them for all he's worth , particularly Moses. It would be prudent to not overplay the two of them and I think thats what he'll concentrate on next year , getting in another LWB to keep things fresh and maybe a CH so that Azpi and Moses can share duties at RWB and Azpi also at RCH.

This is where we absolutely need to strengthen with world class players

1. One or two wing-backs, as we need someone so good they will turn Alonso and/or Moses into a great backup. I have seen rumours about Alaba, we honestly could not get any better. A complete player physically, mentally and technically. If we have two natural LWBs, we might be fine having just Moses on the right, as we have other versatile options like Azpilicueta, Willian, Pedro etc in the squad. But ideally, we would get someone like Lichtsteiner in as well (his contract runs out in the summer).

2. A versatile player for the front three: Sanchez is ideal in 3-4-3 in that case, as he can play both AM and CF, and if it is true that he is Conte's top priority, we can all look forward to a hefty summer when Arsenal fans melt down on social media.

3. We need to bolster our CM. Matic and Fabregas are good enough to win us the league, but we need more quality if we want to win the CL as well. Verratti is probably a pipe dream, but we need a complete player like him or Nainggolan, Vidal etc. Someone who can press and tackle, but also play the ball and create in a more advanced way than Kanté. Not sure that is Bakayoko?

This is where we need to strengthen with top class players

CB: We might be fine without a new world-class CB, as we have a lot of potential and talent in Christensen (already top class?), Aké and Zouma. But Cahill's position should be up for grabs, and I am not sure any of the three can mount a realistic push already.

CF: Llorente has been mentioned, and would be perfect. Experienced, physical, can play the lone forward role. Lacks the pace to threaten on the break, but we pushed for him in January and will hopefully do so again in the summer. 

We almost guaranteed will have to add another back-up keeper too when Begovic leaves.

3 hours ago, jones said:

This is where we absolutely need to strengthen with world class players

1. One or two wing-backs, as we need someone so good they will turn Alonso and/or Moses into a great backup. I have seen rumours about Alaba, we honestly could not get any better. A complete player physically, mentally and technically. If we have two natural LWBs, we might be fine having just Moses on the right, as we have other versatile options like Azpilicueta, Willian, Pedro etc in the squad. But ideally, we would get someone like Lichtsteiner in as well (his contract runs out in the summer).

2. A versatile player for the front three: Sanchez is ideal in 3-4-3 in that case, as he can play both AM and CF, and if it is true that he is Conte's top priority, we can all look forward to a hefty summer when Arsenal fans melt down on social media.

3. We need to bolster our CM. Matic and Fabregas are good enough to win us the league, but we need more quality if we want to win the CL as well. Verratti is probably a pipe dream, but we need a complete player like him or Nainggolan, Vidal etc. Someone who can press and tackle, but also play the ball and create in a more advanced way than Kanté. Not sure that is Bakayoko?

This is where we need to strengthen with top class players

CB: We might be fine without a new world-class CB, as we have a lot of potential and talent in Christensen (already top class?), Aké and Zouma. But Cahill's position should be up for grabs, and I am not sure any of the three can mount a realistic push already.

CF: Llorente has been mentioned, and would be perfect. Experienced, physical, can play the lone forward role. Lacks the pace to threaten on the break, but we pushed for him in January and will hopefully do so again in the summer. 

We almost guaranteed will have to add another back-up keeper too when Begovic leaves.

agree with most of that. If we add 3 top class players in those positions and then pad out the squad in other areas, we will be in a very strong position. 

11 hours ago, zaffo said:

Yeah I get the size aspect. Not sure I agree he's that good on the ball though and seems a bit suspect defensively to me. Bit awkward/clumsy. A better version of Duberry if you want to be mean. 

But as I said, only seen him live once. Otherwise I'm basing this on TV games. 

16 hours ago, paulw66 said:

agree with most of that. If we add 3 top class players in those positions and then pad out the squad in other areas, we will be in a very strong position. 

Yes, agree as well, apart for the CB bit, where I think we're fine. 

11 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Yeah I get the size aspect. Not sure I agree he's that good on the ball though and seems a bit suspect defensively to me. Bit awkward/clumsy. A better version of Duberry if you want to be mean. 

He's brilliant aerially, possibly the best in the league. He's also quick and strong and fairly good on the ball. 

Yeah, he's occasionally suspect defensively but he's still a very good player who should only get better, but I don't think he's a priority for us. 

12 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

More of a Mario Melchiot type if you ask me , quick and a "ball playing" centre half.