Sir

Squad Status: 2016/2017 Season

1,247 posts in this topic

Fabregas will be 32 when his contract runs out. He is on massive wages. Right now they reflect his talents - I am a big Fabregas fan - but I don't think it is smart to renegotiate his contract at the moment. 

The other three I agree completely. And even though most people seem to be certain Costa is leaving, my money is on him staying and signing a new contract. Costa is a world-class striker. He has a complete set of skill. He is proven in the Premier League and the fans love him. Neither Morata or Lukaku - who would cost the same as what we might recoup for Costa - are certain to be close to contributing as much as he does. The club will be fighting to keep him, that's for certain. 

Hazard won't be leaving either, but we need to offer him a new contract. I think at some point in his career he will go to Madrid, but at the moment there are too many stars there. In a couple of years, when Ronaldo goes to China, I guess they will be pushing hard for him. And he'd probably be tempted to give it a go. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jones said:

Fabregas will be 32 when his contract runs out. He is on massive wages. Right now they reflect his talents - I am a big Fabregas fan - but I don't think it is smart to renegotiate his contract at the moment. 

 

Fabregas was never quick, so I don't see him "slowing down"

He could play the way he does until 35/36 like Pirlo did at Juve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Fabregas was never quick, so I don't see him "slowing down"

He could play the way he does until 35/36 like Pirlo did at Juve. 

If we support Conte in the transfer market , I think it's likely we'll switch to 3-5-2 , with another more mobile midfielder replacing Matic , partnering Kante and Fabregas in the "Pirlo" role and Hazard used in the front two playing more closely to Costa/Whoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think we will go to 3-5-2 because I think the three up front works better in our league and gives us better balance. However, I expect one or other of the three up front to drop a little deeper from time to time to stop the midfield getting overrun so, maybe that's the same thing.

Also, I think Conte will be looking to add rather than replace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

I don't think we will go to 3-5-2 because I think the three up front works better in our league and gives us better balance. However, I expect one or other of the three up front to drop a little deeper from time to time to stop the midfield getting overrun so, maybe that's the same thing.

Also, I think Conte will be looking to add rather than replace.

Wouldnt surprise me if we switch between the 2 systems. 

Couldnt do it this year as he doesn't rate Batshuyai 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Wouldnt surprise me if we switch between the 2 systems. 

Couldnt do it this year as he doesn't rate Batshuyai 

I would have said we played 532 quite a bit with Pedro (or Willian) in more or less midfield and Hazard as a 2nd striker.

Not out and out 532, but something the team drifted into for parts of the match.

Hazard also played as 2nd striker quite a bit with JM too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Fabregas was never quick, so I don't see him "slowing down"

He could play the way he does until 35/36 like Pirlo did at Juve. 

His mobility though will be more of the issue, as it was for Pirlo later on. Pirlo was less exposed in this area because of the slower nature Serie A is, in the EPL that won't be the case. While Fabregas still has an important role, I can also see why he may not have a prolonged one in the vein of Pirlo's - not in the EPL anyway. 

That said, Pirlo also had the likes of Marchisio, Vidal, Pogba, etc to work with. Kante aside, we have a fairly immobile midfield at present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now