Sir

Squad Status: 2016/2017 Season

1,255 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

So is it time to go over how a potential squad could look like 2017/18? I'll go a bit mental and post what I'd really love to see. A bit "James Prescott" just to honour his re-appearance on these boards:) - Feel free to join in James!:)

So that's 19 established outfielders 3 keepers and 8 promising talents with considerable European, PL and Championship experience. 

Wishful thinking as you said.  Sadly far too many players for Chelsea, I'm afraid.  I'd like that many seniors, but it would be a hell of a change of policy

Moreover only Begovic and JT seem to be going from the current lot, and you are signing 6 new players and bringing back 5 from loan.

Ake is 22, Christensen 21, Chalobah 22, Loftus-Cheek 21, Baker 22.  Using 19 and 20 year olds as outfield players 17, 18, 19 in 14/15 was desperate.  But using 21 & 22 year olds as outfield players 20 through 24 is overkill.  All 5 of these players need to be  in a smaller squad - at Chelsea or elsewhere.

In details - I think one of the keepers has to be England trained, so Eduardo might have to be replaced too. 2 extra WBs is hopeful.  Either one is Ake or Christensen or Moses has to go.  In an ideal world we'd have the options up front not in defence, and Willian would be a back up WB.

I can't imagine RLC, Musonda, Palmer (or Baker who is an AM too IMO) starting a PL game we need to win, so I don't really see their point.  Rather sell/loan the lot (and Traore and Kenedy and a few others) and buy a proper AM5 who'll put pressure on the first 11.  (But don't sell the electric Palmer, who might turn out to be special).  

I'd love to see Abraham play - hate to see him not play, so loan please.  Good Championship team is best - so he is guaranteed to start.  I suspect Lukaku may come in and we find out that Costa is off to China in the winter.  Pity.

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

So is it time to go over how a potential squad could look like 2017/18? I'll go a bit mental and post what I'd really love to see. A bit "James Prescott" just to honour his re-appearance on these boards:) - Feel free to join in James!:)

GK (3):

Courtois, GK2, Eduardo

CB (6): Azpilicueta, Cahill, Luiz, Christensen, Ake, Zouma

RWB (2): RWB1, Moses

LWB (2): Alonso, LWB2

CM (6): Fabregas, Matic, Kante, Verratti, Chalobah, Baker

AM (7): Hazard, Pedro, Willian, AM4, Loftus-Cheek, Musonda, Palmer

S (4): Costa, Griezmann, Batshuayi, Abraham

So that's 19 established outfielders 3 keepers and 8 promising talents with considerable European, PL and Championship experience. 

Quite close to what I am hoping as well. Two quality wing-backs (just let Conte decide who), Verratti, Griezmann and another CF instead of Batshuayi. Heart is hoping Christensen will strengthen us, mind is telling me we should buy a top class CB like van Dijk also. Oh, and based on comments last few weeks it seems pretty certain that Zouma is going out on loan.

But I whole-heartedly disagree on how you are wasting young talent here:) This is a squad of 30 players, which is way over the top. A lot of the italics should go out on loan. Imo, we need 20 quality players for 10 positions, plus two young players (the likes of Hudson-Odoi, Sterling, Mount etc.), plus three goalkeepers. 

The 20 players should be 5 CBs, 4 WBs, 5 CMs, 4 AMs, 2 CFs. No point in having squad players - we need players who compete with each other. All of them should be top class. When Willian, Pedro, Fabregas, Alonso, Moses etc are on the bench, then we know we are going to be competitive. The true definition of strength in depth.

36 minutes ago, jones said:

The 20 players should be 5 CBs, 4 WBs, 5 CMs, 4 AMs, 2 CFs. No point in having squad players - we need players who compete with each other. All of them should be top class. When Willian, Pedro, Fabregas, Alonso, Moses etc are on the bench, then we know we are going to be competitive. The true definition of strength in depth.

Agree with a lot of your post.  Though Hudson-Odoi and Mount are unlikely to be ready.  Sterling perhaps - the role of a speedy wide boy (at RW or WB) is so much simpler than that of more central players.

But a match day requires 3CBs, 2WBs, 2 CMS, 4 AMs and 2 CFs after 3 subs.  Moreover it is common that one of the WBs is actually an AM or winger or a converted one.  So balance actually requires 4 CBs 2 WBs, 3 CMs, 6 AMs and 3 CFs.  

I'd happily include Willian or Pedro as an AM who can play WB on occasion (or Moses if I thought he really was good enough at AM or WB).

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

GK (3):

Courtois, GK2, Eduardo

I'd go with similar, however a few tweaks. Also this is purely based on us sticking with 343 next season. Would be slightly altered further if we moved to 352.

GK (3): Courtois, GK2, Eduardo

CB (5): CB, Cahill, Luiz, Christensen, Ake

RWB (2): Azpilicueta, Moses

CM (6): Fabregas, Kante, Verratti, De RossiChalobah, Baker

AM (5): Hazard, Pedro, Willian, Bernardeschi, Musonda, 

ST (3): Belotti, Griezmann, Batshuayi, 

• Zouma, Palmer, RLC and Abraham to go out on loan instead as they all need regular games.
  • Azpi provides CB cover and moves to first choice RWB. 
  • Sell Matic and bring in a short term player such as De Rossi (free transfer), who wouldn't entirely block a path for Chalobah and Baker to get more minutes going forward, but still brings a wealth of experience and much needed leadership. // Alternative, keep Matic and not bring in De Rossi. However, he would need to sign a new deal in the summer.
  • One of either Hazard, Pedro or Bernardeschi could provide that 4th ST option if required.
  • Griezmann can also play AM.
  • I'd sell Costa and end the circus,bring in a Belotti as his replacement. 

Total of 26 players including all 3 keepers. Gives opportunity for younger players to get some games, utilise some of our player versatility, and draft in a few key players down the spine of the side.

Edited by zaffo

On 30/05/2017 at 5:28 PM, Sleeping Dave said:

GK (3):

Courtois, GK2, Eduardo

Bearing in mind that Azpilicueta and Ake are capable of providing cover at WB I would argue that what we actually need in defense is one (experienced) CB. I agree with your options at centre mid however see the three youngsters you've listed at AM are at least one too many, especially if AM4 is an experienced starter. Obviously Griezmann ain't going anywhere this summer now but I think if you add anytone you run the risk of upsetting the status quo. Far better for Bats to continue stepping up his game with A N Other youngster adding depth.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've reduced your additions by at least two, possibly three leaving us looking for a young English GK,  and an experienced spine of central defender, midfielder and (maybe) striker which is achievable and hopefully not destabilising. What I don't want is the addition of some second string that sits on the bench all year never challenging for a start except in the League Cup.