Sir

Squad Status: 2016/2017 Season

1,247 posts in this topic

Surely if Bamford went on to get a good contract at a Championship team challenging for a PL place that would be great news for him and great encouragement for anyone younger at Chelsea.

Unless of course you meant that succeeding after being on loan for all but just 3 months of his two Chelsea years is a bad sign.

The bad sign being, do well on loan so that we can sell you, not do well on loan so you have a chance of breaking into Chelsea's first team squad.

Your approach is practical, but would undermine the many loan stabling projects that we have underway. Perhaps that was your point...

We have perhaps 6 young players in each year group for whom we have ambitions, and I doubt JM would want to bring in 3 in any year, and average about one a year (and that is probably optimistic IMO).

So 5 are going to be sold or released a year in most years, and anyone who does not reach the top half of the championship is going to have to accept they'll never earn as much as they did at 20 for the rest of their lives.

To be fair, Kalas has done well on loan, and he seems to be the player who has got closest to the squad this season. And in the past the player doing well on loan was Bertrand. McEachran did much better in the reserves than in the Championship (or Prem). He did get a few chances from the reserve team (though not actually as many minutes as much as people seem to think).

There is of course a high amount of wastage and there's always deadwood to be cleared (though unusual to release 6 players from the same year's scholar intake at the same time). But if we sign a player at 18 you'd think we'd give them more than 2 years to make the grade. Especially as Bamford has begun to show signs that he might be Chelsea-quality. I think he deserves another year at the least.

Surely if Bamford went on to get a good contract at a Championship team challenging for a PL place that would be great news for him and great encouragement for anyone younger at Chelsea.

I take your point more generally, but a good contract at a Championship team challenging for a PL place was essentially the position Bamford left to join Chelsea.

I take your point more generally, but a good contract at a Championship team challenging for a PL place was essentially the position Bamford left to join Chelsea.

Some of the time but Forest are a low budget team in the Championship, and at the moment, Jan 2012, when he moved they were in a relegation spot.

And I doubt even now he'd get the 5-year offer from Forest that we made 2 and a half years ago.

Some of the time but Forest are a low budget team in the Championship, and at the moment, Jan 2012, when he moved they were in a relegation spot.

And I doubt even now he'd get the 5-year offer from Forest that we made 2 and a half years ago.

Blimey- fair enough, I hadn't paid close enough to attention to realise that Forest were having such a bad season. They've been one of those sides who just about fall short of promotion for most of the last five or six years though, I think. They certainly aren't a low budget team now (one of the Championship teams fighting FFP) but perhaps were back in 2012.

I don't know why we'd sell Wallace yet - one of the few players that actually appears to have been bought in order to have a Chelsea future, despite his stinker of a loan spell. Selling Bamford after his performances on loan would send all the wrong messages.

I'd be very happy to see Atsu and Omeruo as first team squad members for next season.

Hello CB,

Just personal opinions on all of those of course.

I like Kenneth, he has a chance I think. I also like Christian although I'd say he's on a near miss trajectory, but a miss all the same. Based on what I've seen, I don't believe any of the others have a chance at Chelsea. Selling them might therefore be the best way to help them continue their development. That said, I think you are right to say that the club might not be ready to make a decision on Wallace yet.

As for selling Patrick sending the wrong signal, I hope that's not how development squad members would see it. I hope that we are recruiting young people with honesty and without false hopes. If we are then that gives us a chance to manage their expectations properly.

For a young footballer, getting a post-eighteen contract at Chelsea is the equivalent of a young student getting a place at one of the top universities in the world. Granted the pay is better but it's still about a high quality education. A physics undergraduate doesn't enrol at Cambridge expecting to be offered the Newton Chair one day. Instead he or she has a right to expect a fantastic learning environment with enhanced employment prospects if they do well in their studies.

The Chelsea offer to youngsters should be exactly the same; great facilities, great co-students to study with, great coaches to learn from and plenty of top quality work placement opportunities. At the end of the process Chelsea may offer you a job but, if we don't, you will still be the best player you can be and well placed to find work with an appropriate employer.

That would be an honest prospectus to offer young men and I hope that's pretty much how we do it. If so, then helping Patrick find his first proper job would represent Chelsea delivering on our promises, not the opposite.

Edited by Bridgejunky

Hello CB,

Just personal opinions on all of those of course.

I like Kenneth, he has a chance I think. I also like Christian although I'd say he's on a near miss trajectory, but a miss all the same. Based on what I've seen, I don't believe any of the others have a chance at Chelsea. Selling them might therefore be the best way to help them continue their development. That said, I think you are right to say that the club might not be ready to make a decision on Wallace yet.

As for selling Patrick sending the wrong signal, I hope that's not how development squad members would see it. I hope that we are recruiting young people with honesty and without false hopes. If we are then that gives us a chance to manage their expectations properly.

For a young footballer, getting a post-eighteen contract at Chelsea is the equivalent of a young student getting a place at one of the top universities in the world. Granted the pay is better but it's still about a high quality education. A physics undergraduate doesn't enrol at Cambridge expecting to be offered the Newton Chair one day. Instead he or she has a right to expect a fantastic learning environment with enhanced employment prospects if they do well in their studies.

The Chelsea offer to youngsters should be exactly the same; great facilities, great co-students to study with, great coaches to learn from and plenty of top quality work placement opportunities. At the end of the process Chelsea may offer you a job but, if we don't, you will still be the best player you can be and well placed to find work with an appropriate employer.

That would be an honest prospectus to offer young men and I hope that's pretty much how we do it. If so, then helping Patrick find his first proper job would represent Chelsea delivering on our promises, not the opposite.

Personally, I think I think it is too early to tell with Bamford as the boy has stepped up to every level he has been asked to play at and has one of the rarest skills in football - excellent finishing skills. For me, I don't see Bamford coming back and being the number one striker, however I could see him becoming a super sub type of player as if he is given a chance he has the finishing skills to finish off a difficult half chance. Obviously he needs to improve the following - his reading of the game, his positioning (for me he needs to sit down and watch videos of Inzaghe and Van Nistlerooy and recognise that he is a striker who should only prioritise playing in the oppositions box) and his physique which for me are all things that can be learnt and improved on throughout a players career.

Edited by sebcfc

Personally, I think I think it is too early to tell with Bamford as the boy has stepped up to every level he has been asked to play at and has one of the rarest skills in football - excellent finishing skills. For me, I don't see Bamford coming back and being the number one striker, however I could see him becoming a super sub type of player as if he is given a chance he has the finishing skills to finish off a difficult half chance. Obviously he needs to improve the following - his reading of the game, his positioning (for me he needs to sit down and watch videos of Inzaghe and Van Nistlerooy and recognise that he is a striker who should only prioritise playing in the oppositions box) and his physique which for me are all things that can be learnt and improved on throughout a players career.

Hello Seb,

Given how often I bang on about players being unable to improve their basic talent level, let me start by saying I completely agree that the skills you list are things which can be improved. I also make you right about Patrick prioritising being a box player. I've often said that I believe players can improve in certain coachable things and that they can learn how to focus on their strengths and how to mask their weaknesses. Patrick's finishing is definitely his strongest asset.

Once McClaren had had the time to assess Patrick all round contribution, the Derby manager settled for using him in exactly the role you suggest might suit Patrick at Chelsea, a situation sub. If PB is going to be a situation player he might as well do it with us as with the Rams. There are therefore two questions, one for Patrick and one for Chelsea.

• Is Patrick ready to accept this role?
  • Are Chelsea willing to offer it to him?

We can't know those answers of course but my guesses would be probably not, and, maybe Patrick's home grown status will help sway things in his favour.

Very much doubt McEachran will ever play a competitive match for Chelsea again, and to be fair he hasn't given us a reason to either over the last 3 years.