• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Squad Status: 2017/2018 Season

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Especially if Morata is injured or suffers a prolonged lack of form. Batshuayi hasn't really proved himself starting games and I would hate to have Hazard pushed up as all it proves is that we only have one starting striker. Further goes to question why we didn't match Spuds offer for Llorente.

With the number of games we have coming up I believe we are one injury (Morata) away from being stuffed.

He's nearly 33. When was the last time Chelsea bought (as opposed to signed on a free) a person of such age. When he reached 30, even JT didn't get contracts of longer than a year. Spurs offered him 2, even 3 years, depending on which reports you choose to believe. We (the club, as opposed to Conte) were never really that interested in him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

Cesc not a game changer? You have to be kidding. I can't think of a player who you can bring on and is more likely to change a game.

:)  Or indeed start with to be sure you win the game.  

27 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

With the number of games we have coming up I believe we are one injury (Morata) away from being stuffed.

The real risk is we lose a couple of games, and without the option of changing the team significantly we lose our Mojo and we go off the rails 15/16 style (or Man U post Fergie style if you like)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Holymoly   
1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

We (the club, as opposed to Conte) were never really that interested in him.

Maybe we should have been interested in a player who would have accepted our offer then as the alternative that has resulted is a lack of viable starter to back up Morata.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
46 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Maybe we should have been interested in a player who would have accepted our offer then as the alternative that has resulted is a lack of viable starter to back up Morata.

£15m for a soon to be 33 year old that's immobile and slow. If we just wanted an established backup target man option there are a number of cheaper alternatives around. Will be interesting to see how much he plays at Spurs with Kane a nailed on starter when fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jones   

Bakayoko = Matic (but a better fit to Conte's system)

Morata = Costa (less x-factor but better tactically and more of a team player - time will show if it is an upgrade or not)

Rüdiger > Zouma

Zappacosta > Aké

Drinkwater > Chalobah

Caballero > Begovic

Christensen > JT

Musonda > nobody

Kenedy > nobody

To say we have not strengthened in this window is crazy. It was not as good as I hoped, but our squad is significantly stronger. I would have liked us to improve the first XI, which of course Morata, Bakayoko and Zappacosta all may prove to do, but that is too soon to say. I am less concerned about the lack of numbers people are referring to. We will be more than fine in a normal season, but if we have an unlucky season with injuries it may cost us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jones said:

Bakayoko = Matic (but a better fit to Conte's system)

Morata = Costa (less x-factor but better tactically and more of a team player - time will show if it is an upgrade or not)

Rüdiger > Zouma

Zappacosta > Aké

Drinkwater > Chalobah

Caballero > Begovic

Christensen > JT

Musonda > nobody

Kenedy > nobody

To say we have not strengthened in this window is crazy. It was not as good as I hoped, but our squad is significantly stronger. I would have liked us to improve the first XI, which of course Morata, Bakayoko and Zappacosta all may prove to do, but that is too soon to say. I am less concerned about the lack of numbers people are referring to. We will be more than fine in a normal season, but if we have an unlucky season with injuries it may cost us.

Which players are better than Ivanovic and Mikel then?  Musonda =  nobody right now.  
Do you seriously think Christensen > JT?
And Morata - even if he turns out as we hope, Morata << Costa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sea foot   

He wasn't saying greater than was he. Just indicating who they replace. Surely you could understand that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Which players are better than Ivanovic and Mikel then?  Musonda =  nobody right now.  
Do you seriously think Christensen > JT?
And Morata - even if he turns out as we hope, Morata << Costa.

To use your own admittedly flawed perspective , if Terry didn't get a game last year so , as you would surmise doesn't count , then surely Christensen , who has already been used is a step up ? A usable player over one who was unused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dingus   
44 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

He wasn't saying greater than was he. Just indicating who they replace. Surely you could understand that.

But that's the issue though isn't it? Replaced, not in addition.

We needed to get those players leaving replaced and then get a few more players in on top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

To use your own admittedly flawed perspective , if Terry didn't get a game last year so , as you would surmise doesn't count , then surely Christensen , who has already been used is a step up ? A usable player over one who was unused.

No point using logic with Droy! He'll turn it inside out and upside down and prove to you that black is white, wet is dry and that he's the far superior being in any discussion! ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now