• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Squad Status: 2017/2018 Season

49 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Probably because he's currently injured. I dare say the choice was between Remy (likely to go, but you never know, so immediately usable if he does stay) and Rahmann (injured, highly unlikely to be usable until Christmas, but could be added to the Jan list if necessary).

All a bit complex given how stroppy you were about the usual suspects isn't it.  
He was supposed to be back by August and was doing ball work in June.

8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

All a bit complex given how stroppy you were about the usual suspects isn't it.  
He was supposed to be back by August and was doing ball work in June.

Maybe for you, but that's only because you like to deliberately complicate things in order to sustain one of your many, pointless, arguments. Goodbye.

Here I guess:

http://www.talkchelsea.net/news/diego-costa-left-out-of-chelseas-champions-league-squad/

No Costa

Here’s our squad in full, as shown on UEFA’s website:

Thibaut Courtois, Willy Caballero, Eduardo

Davide Zappacosta, Victor Moses, Cesar Azpilicueta, David Luiz, Jake Clarke-Salter, Antonio Rudiger, Andreas Christensen, Gary Cahill, Marcos Alonso, Kenedy.

N’Golo Kante, Kyle Scott, Tiemoue Bakayoko, Cesc Fabregas, Danny Drinkwater.

Charly Musonda, Pedro, Willian, Eden Hazard.

Michy Batshuayi, Alvaro Morata.

Edited by Droy was my hero

Odd that they list Scott, Clarke-Salter and Musonda with the main list, in the past they would have been amongst all the other U21s in the Academy.
But it does boost the list from 21 names to 24.  And I think the Liverpool list is similar so perhaps it is just the way UEFA have released the initial press release.

So we have 19 realistic outfield options and three keepers (I include Kenedy and Musonda as realistic only because a lack of numbers in those positions means realistically we may have no choice other than to use one of them if Alonso gets injured or at least on the bench) Man City only have 18 and three keepers, predominantly better stocked at the opposite end of the pitch to us which is where you end to see more subs. United have 21 and 2 keepers (discluding James Wilson) Spurs again 18 and 3 keepers (Have inlcuded Foyth but no idea if he is a useable option)

jones   

Shocked (not surprised) how negative some "supporters" are.

We have upgraded at CB, WB and CM with players way better suited to playing Conte's football. We have kept Hazard and not even City has better quality in AM than us, even if we failed to upgrade depth there. We may have lost x-factor in attack, but instead of getting the unplayable monster on form that is massively under-performing when not, we have a reliable and dependable CF that is going to score regardless. It is something else for sure, but I honestly believe it will be better.

It is true that we did not sign Verratti, Neymar or Lukaku. But we have made significant improvements on the squad that easily ran away with the PL title last year. We are good.

Edited by jones

xCELERYx   

2016/17 Squad

GK: Courtois, Begovic, Eduardo
CB: Terry, Luiz, Cahill, Azpilicueta, Zouma, Ake*, (Ivanovic**)
WB: Alonso, Moses, Aina
CM: Fabregas, Kante, Matic, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek, (Mikel**)
AM: Hazard, Pedro, Willian, Kenedy*, Musonda*, (Oscar**)
ST: Costa, Batshuayi, Solanke

** - Sold in January
* - Returned from loan in January

Final squad size we finished season with: 25

2017/18 Squad

GK: Courtois, Caballero, Eduardo
CB: Luiz, Cahill, Azpilicueta, Rudiger, Christensen, Clarke-Salter
WB: Alonso, Moses, Zappacosta
CM: Fabregas, Kante, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Scott
AM: Hazard, Pedro, Willian, Kenedy, Musonda
ST: Morata, Batshuayi

Current squad size: 24 (25 if you think Costa will return)

Overall

From a personal standpoint, I think we're a stronger squad this season than last. We've managed to replace some ill suited players with those who have qualities that fit more in line with our overall approach and system Conte employs. This in turn means we've now got more viable depth in certain positions, although we still do lack in a couple areas - specifically LWB and ST. 

Defensively we're really strong at CB. We've got a good mix of experience, size, speed and ability. With there being a number of combinations we could utilise without being weakened all too greatly. At WB we're still lighter than what would be ideal, although Zappacosta gives us another senior option we were without last year. We've got Azpi could can cover if needed, while I expect Kenedy to probably be the other alternative if we're desperate at any stage. 

CM we've improved tenfold. While Matic was solid, he wasn't a good fit overall. His lack of leg speed and mobility didn't always allow us the close sides down as intensely as Conte would've liked across the pitch. With both Bakayoko and Drinkwater arriving it solves this issue, while also giving us in general greater leg speed and mobility across the pitch. Hopefully means we're now not so reliant on Kante having to do all the covering and chasing back, while can take away from his ability to burst forward and break lines. Drinkwater also gives us another creative sort that offers more defensive stability than Fabregas, along with some grit. This is going to be precious when we play games where Fabregas' lack of speed and defensive input can be exposed. Drinkwater can come in, still provide us with some forward passing ability without having to sacrifice so much else on the other side of the ball. Overall, we have some good combinations on hand and the ability to interchange more freely without the pitfalls of being exposed in other areas due to player limitations. 

At AM I think we're covered enough. I know some are still not pleased and think we're one short, however they also tend to be those who go on about giving youth a chance. For me, having Musonda as 4th choice is a good thing. We now have the ability to shuffle Fabregas to AM if required at any point, or we can expose Musonda more to senior football and see how he goes. Despite his young age, he has a little x-factor about him where he could impact games off the bench as an impact player with his directness and speed.

Upfront we're about even in comparison to last year, although another CF would have been ideal. The loss of Costa (most likely) does mean we need to find 20 goals elsewhere and hopefully Morata lives up to that in a role where he is now the focal point. Batshuayi will score goals. The issue will be if he can do it as a lone forward. I think he can, however it will also mean us having to be a bit more aware going forward as team to make sure we're not treating or expecting him to play like a target man. If that's the goal, then he's not suited. Upfront will probably be what defines our season the most. If Morata fails to shake his inconsistent tag and falls to the pressures of leading the line on his own then we're in serious trouble. If the chance arises in the January market I'd be looking at a possible CF option, even on loan. For me, a perfect world would be Belotti donning the Chelsea blue at some point. 

In conclusion we have a strong enough side to contend for top 4. I'm not someone who thinks we'll win the title and realise last season wasn't a true representation of where we are as club. Just as I'm not expecting much out of the Champions League. For me, we're in the process of a remodel under Conte. I just hope he remains here and is given the backing going forward in the market to build on what we have. For that, we'll have to wait and see.

All in all a decent window with some quality additions, albeit a few pieces short. LWB, AM, and ST are the 3 missing pieces with the former two being especially concerning. We have no real alternative to Alonso as I truly believe Conte doesn't trust or rate Kenedy in the slightest. In fact I expect any one of Moses, Azpi, Zappa, or even Pedro starting ahead of Kenedy. It's a problem.

Another huge problem is the lack of an additional usable AM. Having just 3 options for 2 positions is way too short. As with Kenedy, I don't see Conte using Musonda at all, except for the League Cup, and whilst Moses and Fabregas can be used there, it's still an issue of overplaying core players.

Perhaps we could play a bit more of the 3-5-2? We now have 4 proper options in midfield (5 if we include Luiz) which would leave us with 5 options for the 2 up front. Would be much easier to rotate and keep the attacking players fresh. 

Let's try to be positive though (and will elaborate on that in the relevant thread) and hope that what we've done is enough. We may be a little short, but we have a lot of quality in the squad, in the management, and the best supporters in the land. 

14 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

All in all a decent window with some quality additions, albeit a few pieces short. LWB, AM, and ST are the 3 missing pieces with the former two being especially concerning. We have no real alternative to Alonso as I truly believe Conte doesn't trust or rate Kenedy in the slightest. In fact I expect any one of Moses, Azpi, Zappa, or even Pedro starting ahead of Kenedy. It's a problem.

Just seen photographic evidence that Baba Rahman is back in training who is supposedly a better wing back than full back so he may well come in handy .

paulw66   
44 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Just seen photographic evidence that Baba Rahman is back in training who is supposedly a better wing back than full back so he may well come in handy .

Couple of rumours he is off on loan to a Turkish team (their window is open until 8th)

I guess a loan until Jan would make sense as he hasnt been registered in either the PL or CL squads.