• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Squad Status: 2017/2018 Season

Recommended Posts

xCELERYx   
45 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Just seen photographic evidence that Baba Rahman is back in training who is supposedly a better wing back than full back so he may well come in handy .

Read something the other day that suggested he won't play for the club and will go out on loan in January once fit. 

Wasn't included in either the EPL or CL squad lists if I remember correctly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Wasn't included in either the EPL or CL squad lists if I remember correctly. 

True, but he is included in the squad list on TOCWS. Whatever that may mean.......:).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Couple of rumours he is off on loan to a Turkish team (their window is open until 8th)

I guess a loan until Jan would make sense as he hasnt been registered in either the PL or CL squads. 

Does seem odd when you could argue his is the position we're weakest in .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Does seem odd when you could argue his is the position we're weakest in .

I guess fitness / match fitness is an issue. having been injured for so long, maybe they want to place him in an enviroment where he will play 20 games by Xmas and be ready to come back in Jan.........either that and he will leave on loan for the season and they don't want him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Just seen photographic evidence that Baba Rahman is back in training who is supposedly a better wing back than full back so he may well come in handy .

Not registered for the squads, but this proves it isn't for fitness reasons.  Absolutely crazy that we are not using him here for next year - proof that the tiny squad is intentional by someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not registered for the squads, but this proves it isn't for fitness reasons.  Absolutely crazy that we are not using him here for next year - proof that the tiny squad is intentional by someone.

I find it hard to believe that someone would intentionally decimate our squad in two out of three seasons and still be in a job.

More likely to be an 'intentional due to necessity' kind of situation if you ask me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we have a spare international spot to give to Baba? Also noticed him in the training pics, could be that Kenedy was selected over him due to fitness issues. Think he would fit Contes system better than the 451 we played when he first moved, get the impression that he is not too keen on staying here and neither are the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I guess fitness / match fitness is an issue. having been injured for so long, maybe they want to place him in an enviroment where he will play 20 games by Xmas and be ready to come back in Jan.........either that and he will leave on loan for the season and they don't want him!

The talk originally was that Conte found him too attacking. Given the tactical astuteness needed at WB I think there's probably some truth around it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

The talk originally was that Conte found him too attacking. Given the tactical astuteness needed at WB I think there's probably some truth around it. 

At that point we were laying the 442/424 system where he was playing Full Back as opposed to Wing Back. In our current system his attacking qualities could be an asset. Anyway the upside of that decision was that we signed Alonso as his replacement who is becoming one of my favourites of our new batch of players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
10 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

At that point we were laying the 442/424 system where he was playing Full Back as opposed to Wing Back. In our current system his attacking qualities could be an asset. Anyway the upside of that decision was that we signed Alonso as his replacement who is becoming one of my favourites of our new batch of players.

We played that initially because it was the best fit for the group of players we had, while not being a radical change away from the 4321 we've played for years prior. Long term 352/343 was most likely formation but it naturally requires a lot of tactical training to get adjusted to the levels Conte desired. Still don't think Baba really fits in either system at this point. While he could no doubt provide something going forward it's the defensive and tactical aspect where I think he has significant work to do. Which is understandable given his age and all. 

Maybe if he gets back to fitness and impresses in training he may get a shot at some point, who knows yet. Still think he's a bit away from being match ready after injury anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now