• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Squad Status: 2017/2018 Season

xCELERYx   

Baba Rahman has now been added to the first team squad list on the PL site and first team area of the official Chelsea site. Although no squad number has been assigned. 

5 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Baba Rahman has now been added to the first team squad list on the PL site and first team area of the official Chelsea site. Although no squad number has been assigned. 

No confirmation yet that the PL accepted his addition to the squad in place of Rémy.

21 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

A bit of context:

21317887_1818350431555945_17656022856266

Mind you, after seeing the highlights of the Grenfell game, I don't fancy their GK3.

I think we can feel a little bit more certain in who's driving the small squad issue at our club. 

It certainly wasn't Mourinho (given the squad size he's had with other clubs and now Man U). 

26 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I think we can feel a little bit more certain in who's driving the small squad issue at our club. 

It certainly wasn't Mourinho (given the squad size he's had with other clubs and now Man U). 

Very true.  Though he might be responsible for that squad only having 2 GKs  :)

Only 2 kids in that squad too - which compares to the dozens of kids used in the 3 pre-JM years.  And one of those is Rashford.

Quality wise which of those players has a shot at getting into our first 11? Possibly De Gea, Lukaku and Pogba. Rashford/Ibra probably better than Bats for the bench, Shaw gets on our bench currently as we only have one other Wing Back who is right footed and never seen him play. All of their wingers are 10's or 9's other than Lingard, however they have been playing 451 I believe rather than the formation shown.

I know the point you were making is they have the numbers (no need to re-hash that argument in great length) but there is some trade off in quality in the first 18 and then quality in those 18-24 squad places where they have a lot of dross which is a step up from having nobody. Also we don't currently operate in the same financial bracket as United where we can pay £250k fo 35yr old Ibra to come off the bench, or pay Lingard 100k a week & Mata £150k to warm the bench etc - this is most likely the policy which has affected our squad. We do however have a lot of youth players on large contracts and over the last couple of seasons it would appear there is also a policy to use one or two of these players each season to fill out the squad. Disaster the season before last, worked last season with less games, going to be a year or two to see how that averages out. Droy I'm sure you've made your mind up already ;-)

Kompany has apparently picked up another calf injury meaning City have only Stones Otamendi and Managala at centre back with no adult options on the bench and they have been splashing the cash like its going out of fashion. When you really look at the other squads you realize we are not in such a pickle as it seems in comparison.

Anyway as somebody said in another thread we have our squads now its time for the chaps at the bottom left of that pic to earn their crumbs no point in crying over it for the next 9 months.

Edited by Lump Of Celery

19 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Quality wise which of those players has a shot at getting into our first 11?

Well no one on here has praised the abilities of our best 7 or 8 players more than me.  
But I can't see which of those 26 Man U players (other than Tuanzebe) is no step up over JCS, Scott, Kenedy, or Musonda.
If you think we can compete for CL or PL with 17 players + GKs, I think you should say so, rather than just counter with Man U dross internationals.  But I'd remind you, last time we played a CL final we had 4 suspended players, and had to start one injured CB, Malouda could only play as sub and the kid making his CL debut was a 22 year old with a massive backlog of Championship games behind him.

43 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Kompany has apparently picked up another calf injury meaning City have only Stones Otamendi and Managala at centre back with no adult options on the bench and they have been splashing the cash like its going out of fashion.

Yes City have a small squad too.  But since when has having 3 fit CBs been a problem for any club?  5 fit CBs and just 12 other  outfield players sounds more of a problem to me.

paulw66   
48 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

Again, the most striking difference between the 2 squads are the AM's.

They have 5 proper options (6 if you include Young). We have 3. 

Yup. I would question the marginal utlilty of the 5th and 6th choice full backs but the attacking options are key.

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yup. I would question the marginal utlilty of the 5th and 6th choice full backs but the attacking options are key.

Yes - though you could argue that Young and Valencia are actually AM's fitted onto the sheet as FBs.