Oscar

Schürrle

Salah

Hazard

Willian

Torres

Ba

Costa

Sell Ba and Mikel, loan van Ginkel (needs to play after an injury season) and we could sign another three players. Filipe one of them, then a midfielder and a striker.

Sell Ba and Mikel, loan van Ginkel (needs to play after an injury season) and we could sign another three players. Filipe one of them, then a midfielder and a striker.

That leaves us with a midfield of Fabregas, Ramires, Tiago, Matic + 1 + youngsters. Sounds ok, although I think that if we sign Tiago we won't be signing anyone else in midfield.

That leaves us with a midfield of Fabregas, Ramires, Tiago, Matic + 1 + youngsters. Sounds ok, although I think that if we sign Tiago we won't be signing anyone else in midfield.

A midfield of Fabregas, Matic, Ramires, Tiago, Van Ginkel/Mikel and Chalobah is certainly stronger than what we had last year.

So an improvement no doubt.

I reckon one of Mikel or Van Ginkel will leave - either permanently (Mikel) or on loan (Van Ginkel).

I think to loan Van Ginkel is a no brainer. With Fabregas, Matic, Tiago and Ramires he won't have minutes with us and a player of his age needs minutes to develop and progress, specially after a big injury. I really hope the club loan him, it's the best option for him.

Jay Seal   

I think to loan Van Ginkel is a no brainer. With Fabregas, Matic, Tiago and Ramires he won't have minutes with us and a player of his age needs minutes to develop and progress, specially after a big injury. I really hope the club loan him, it's the best option for him.

Depends how we line up and how much faith the club have in him. If there's any movement toward a 433 then that would be quite light. Together with the fact that if the club sees a big future for him with us he's a unique position of all of those in that he can be brought in often with a view to gaining experience as well as starting the cups etc he could play a lot of games. He's probably the second most forward thinking of the above group.

Why is everyone talking about a 4-3-3?

Not having a go - just genuinely interested if these are your specific wishes or if you genuineely think JM will make the switch. If so, based on what?

paulw66   

Not having a go - just genuinely interested if these are your specific wishes or if you genuineely think JM will make the switch. If so, based on what?

I dont think it is impossible, particularly with the Fabregas signing.

Mikel / Matic playing in the 1, with Ramires, Fabregas, MvG and maybe Oscar playing in the 2 further advanced.

Personally I think a midfield 3 with Mikel or Matic playing behind Ramires and Fabregas gives a fantastic blend of attributes.

Jay Seal   

Fair point - I mentioned solely for the sake of how much it's been mooted.

For me, our best formation is still the 4-2-3-1.

However, I use the formation loosely. The 4-2-3-1 might just as we'll be a 4-3-3 or even a 4-1-2-2-1.

It's fluid and I reckon right now our best starting XI (assuming Costa is in the bag) would be:

Cech; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta; Matic, Fabregas; Willian, Oscar, Hazard; Costa

In a 4-2-3-1.

I still reckon we have some problems to solve at fullback regarding attacking capabilities and general balance.

For me Filipe Liuis would be a wicked signing.

After that we still need to decide on Cech/Courtois (or at least make the decision known, the actual decision is obviously already made) and sign back-ups at CM and S.

Sciatika   

The thing about formations is the fluidity. As SD says, a 4231/433/41221 are much the same thing (along with 451 in defence and a 41212 diamond). I suspect that we will line up as a 4231 next season, but you might see all these and more in game play. The formation is simply a way of describing the focus at a particular moment in time. So, playing a 433 is a way of saying that we are pushing forward more. Also, I think there is a distinction between the intent to play a particular formation and the actuality of the various formations that result from play. I don't think the players think about it as formations, they are simply reading the game and using experience and the "patterns of play" training to find space. For instance, in attack, one or both wing backs will push forward providing width and stretching the opposition defences. This allows the side to make space in the final third for the attackers and to change the angle of attack by getting behind the opposition defensive line. In that case, we often have 3 at the back with one of the DMs dropping deeper for cover. If both wing backs push right forward, a 4231 could easily become a 3133/3115. Say we get a corner from that attack, the CBs come forward to add height and a wing back drops deep to cover the counter attack. The 3133 becomes a 235 (pyramid) or similar. If the opposition win the ball back, the attacking players immediately start pressing the ball while everyone drops deeper into a 451 making it hard to break down. The midfield will hunt in packs trying to recover possession (Oscar is brilliant at this). We recover the ball and go into counter attack with all attacking players immediately moving forward into space. Such is the ebb and flow. Within the space of a few minutes we might have used four or five formations but still ostensibly be playing 4231.