Zappa Christensen Cahill Emerson 

Drinkwater Cesc RLC 

Willian Giroud CHO 

Domestic Cups 

Willy 

Zappa Ampadu Christensen/Cahill Emerson 

Barkley Cesc RLC 

Moses Abraham/Giroud CHO

As an idea I think you are absolutely spot on. We should rotate the squad heavily for Europa League and the domestic cups. I'd go with something like;

PL

Arrizabalaga; Azpilicueta, Rüdiger, Luiz, Alonso; Kanté, Jorginho, Kovacic; Pedro, Morata, Hazard

EL

Arrizabalaga; Zappacosta, Rüdiger, Christensen, Emerson; Barkley, Fabregas, Loftus-Cheek; Willian, Giroud, Hudson-Odoi

FAC

Caballero; Azpilicueta, Rüdiger, Christensen, Alonso; Kanté, Jorginho, Barkley; Willian, Morata, Hudson-Odoi

LC

Bulka; Zappacosta, Christensen, Ampadu, Emerson; Barkley, Drinkwater, Loftus-Cheek; Moses, Abraham, Hudson-Odoi

For me Cahill is the odd one out. Drinkwater is also in bad shape... 3rd choice at DM (Jorginho, Fabregas, Drinkwater) and at best 3rd choice at either CM8 spot in contention with Barkley, Loftus-Cheek and Kovacic. 

I also think both are on pretty high wages. I'd be looking to get rid of both in January (unless we have an injury crisis). 

Having drawn Liverpool away in the next round of the Carabao Cup (the old League Cup), it'll be interesting to see how strong or how weak a side Sarri puts out. My money is on close to full strength.

Edited by Bob Singleton

14 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Having drawn Liverpool away in the next round of the Carabao Cup (the old League Cup), it'll be interesting to see how strong or how weak a side Sarri puts out. My money is on close to full strength.

Perhaps, but it would be strange to play our full strength side against Liverpool twice in the space of a few days. 

25/9 we play them away in the LC. 29/9 at home in the league. 

For me this must be two completely separate sides. 

paulw66   
14 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Can't see it. Liverpool will have 100% reserves. 

Sarri also sacrificed cups whilst at Napoli in preference for league points, so he has form.

While a cup in his first season must be attractive to him, return to the CL is imperative - so I agree, Paul. His eye will be on the ball (and on Roman).

On 03/09/2018 at 9:42 PM, chiswickblue said:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/844127

Shockingly we've named a full 25 man senior squad including 9 homegrown players! Unheard of bountiful riches - we can't blame quantity this year.

Man City have 21 players, Liverpool 23, Spurs and Utd have 24.

The listed squad has never mattered or been the problem. It has always been the actual squad. Piazon is in the 25, and we've no player in the U21s likely to contribute to the PL squad. So it is 24. Still a lot better than other seasons as a starting point. Guess now the question is how many of those 24 are actually available to the manager.

By my count, all of Liverpool's listed 23 are trusted enough senior players and they have 2 U21s who actually play, often in the first XI. All of City's seniors are what I would consider trusted and Gabriel is in their U21s. Maybe 1 of United's seniors isn't really a pick, made up for by Rashford. Spurs seems the genuine smallest to me; 24 seniors with 2 of them likely to play little if at all, and perhaps 1 U21 who will contribute.

We're looking at a difference of what, a single player, between these squads. It does make it interesting. 

Watched Amapdu play for Wales the other night and boy, he is an absolute phenom. I have never seen a player so young play with such a commanding presence and maturity as well as his undoubted ability. I know CHO is currently flavour of the month when it comes to our U21's but for me Ampadu is the real deal and we will need to be very careful with how we handle him as he is already good enough to walk into a number of PL teams first XI's.

• Like 1

On 31/08/2018 at 9:52 AM, paulw66 said:

Can't see it. Liverpool will have 100% reserves. 

Sarri also sacrificed cups whilst at Napoli in preference for league points, so he has form.

Can't see Klop doing that this season, he's under pressure to deliver silverware and lets be honest this is probably the easiest competition to make the final

I know there are some on this forum who think RLC is not up to top flight football, TBH based on his effort last night when wearing the national shirt I am beginning to get the same feeling. I can't see him making the either first teams unless he changes his whole demeanour.