• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Squad Status: 2018/2019 Season

2 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

There are still 7 players from our 26 man squad that don't have contracts beyond the end of this season.

But which ones.  If we buy 3 players, and promote 2 this summer, then we have 5 or 6 players too many now.

I find it hard to say, but right now we should be thinning out the squad.

55 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

But which ones.  If we buy 3 players, and promote 2 this summer, then we have 5 or 6 players too many now.

I find it hard to say, but right now we should be thinning out the squad.

You'd assume that Drinkwater, Moses and Cahill won't be here next season. Without them and with loans for the 18 year olds we'll already be down to 21. Loads of space.

On 10/2/2018 at 10:39 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Needs to be said, that Rudiger with his extreme pace plus his height and general awareness is the perfect complement to Luiz or indeed any of our CBs.  Gallas to JT

Very good point! He does actually remind me of Gallas. Can't believe I didn't see it before! 

22 hours ago, Jasonb said:

The Ghost makes a reasonable point about cover having seen Ampadu injured after his spell for Wales. That may be just unfortunate or it may be a sign he is injury prone like RLC.

I think Ampadu may prove to be a case of too much too soon. He's only 18 but already have 20 senior apps across two full seasons and 3 seanios caps. He's an exceptional talent with a far higher ceiling than say Andreas Christensen. Christensen is only likely to improve his arial game, anticipation and general experience. I'd say he can become a 7.5/10 central defender at his peak (with 10 being a top 5 in the world player). A great CB2/CB3 type of player. 

At this stage I think Ampadu can become 8.5-9/10 type player. Injury and general development permitting of course. I reckon both Ampadu and Hudson-Odoi needs to go on season long loans next season. 

19 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Love Rudiger and have said a few times now that I don't think there is another centre half in the world I would swap him with. I genuienly think he could become the best out there. He has everything.

Luiz is Luiz,  just pure class on the ball and far better defensively than people give him credit for. Yes he has the odd lapse in concentration but his overall game is up there with anyone, his ability on the ball bettered by no one. He is irreplaceable. 

They are turning into a very good partnership and making an absolute mockery of anyone that claimed either were not good enough/suited to playing a back 4.

Yes - in the PL I'd only prefer Stones-Laporte to what we have in Rüdiger-Luiz. 

Top 5 CB pairing in the PL for me;

1. Stones-Laporte

2. Rüdiger-Luiz

3. Lovren-van Dijk

4. Sánchez-Alderweireld

5. Zouma-Keane

Outsider: Duffy-Dunk

18 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Spot on... now we need to offer him a new contract. He signed for 3 years when he returned in 2016, and I don't recall an extension having been signed since, so he'll be out of contract next summer, and able to talk to overseas clubs and sign a pre-contract with them next January.

There was some paper talk about Luiz being close to signing a new in September/October. I'd expect him to sign a new 2-3 year deal imminently. Can't see what would hold it up. 

17 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

There are still 7 players from our 26 man squad that don't have contracts beyond the end of this season.

Green, Caballero, Luiz, Cahill, Kovacic, Fabregas, Piazon, Giroud. Out of these 8, I reckon only Luiz and Caballero are likely to stay beyond the summer. 

Fabregas and Giroud will depend on how it looks for them in terms of minutes until January. Kovacic beeing a long-shot. 

Green, Cahill and Piazon almost certain to leave. 

13 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

You'd assume that Drinkwater, Moses and Cahill won't be here next season. Without them and with loans for the 18 year olds we'll already be down to 21. Loads of space.

At this point in time (in pecking order) - released, loan, sold;

GK: Arrizabalaga, Caballero, Green, Bulka

RB: Azpilicueta, Zappacosta

LB: Alonso, Emerson

CB: Luiz, Rüdiger, Cahill, Christensen, Ampadu

CM4: Jorginho, FabregasAmpadu

CM6: Kanté, Kovacic

CM8: Barkley, Loftus-Cheek

RW: Pedro, Loftus-Cheek, Moses

LW: Hazard, Willian, Hudson-Odoi

S: Morata, Giroud

Frozen out: Drinkwater

That gives us for 2019-20;

GK: Arrizabalaga (2025), Caballero (2019), Blackman (2021)

RB: Azpilicueta (2020), Zappacosta (2021)

LB: Alonso (2023), Emerson (2022)

CB: Luiz (2019), Rüdiger (2022), Christensen (2022), Zouma (2023)

CM4: Jorginho (2023)

CM6: Kanté (2021)

CM8: Barkley (2023), Loftus-Cheek (2021)

RW: Pedro (2020), Loftus-Cheek (2021)

LW: Hazard (2020), Willian (2020)

S: Morata (2022), Batshuayi (2021), Abraham (2022)

That looks incredibly thin all of a sudden. 17 senior outfield players + Abraham. At least 3 players short... CM4, CM6 and a Winger. Lots of work here;

New contracts in 2019:

Caballero 1Y (2020 - 39 years) 

Luiz 3Y (2022 - 35 years)

Azpilicueta 5Y (2024 - 35 years)  

Kanté 6Y (2025 - 34 years)

Loftus-Cheek 5Y (2024 - 28 years)

Willian 3Y (2022 - 34 years)

Hazard 6Y (2025 - 34 years)

Pedro 2Y (2021 - 34 years)

Areas of strengthening:

Long-term GK2. Caballero may last one more aditional season but at 39 he's getting on a bit. Is Bulka ready to step up as number 2 for 2020-21 after a season out on loan? Blackman?

CM4, CM6 need able back-ups. These may be filled to 50% by Fabregas short term. But even so we still need a longer term option. Ampadu also coming back from loan - will he be a CB or a DCM? 

A winger/AM player is needed for next season. But even so, we still need one more player there for the long-term as Willian and Pedro ages. One new player here for next season and another one summer 2020. 

We still need to find our long-term S1. I don't think we have a viable candidate on our books as of now. 

The good thing about this is that Sarri may be able to influence a squad to his playing style. Million dollar question of course is if he'll be here long enough to have that influence. 

Sciatika   
2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

There was some paper talk about Luiz being close to signing a new in September/October. I'd expect him to sign a new 2-3 year deal imminently. Can't see what would hold it up. 

Being 31. We only give one-year contracts to over 30s.

Sarri has confirmed that Gary Cahill is his Captain, with Azpi as Vice Captain. Strange to pick somebody who won't play but then again I guess he will still be there in the dressing room and Sarri said the players backed his decision and had told him GC is a very good captain.

20 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Being 31. We only give one-year contracts to over 30s.

Well isn't this a great time to abolish that policy? 

We should judge contract lenght on quality and likelihood of sustaining it. Taking the absolute worst case scenario at every given opportunity is contra-productive. It should be judged on a case-by-case basis imo. 

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

Well isn't this a great time to abolish that policy? 

We should judge contract lenght on quality and likelihood of sustaining it. Taking the absolute worst case scenario at every given opportunity is contra-productive. It should be judged on a case-by-case basis imo. 

It doesn't just suit the club.
If you think Player X is worth £100k a week next year, but might barely be used afterwards, then you offer £75k for 2 years.
Which is an insult to the player.  Moreover the player might simply decide to stick to a strict diet, take care of himself, and offer himself a year later at £100k again.  With the option if that doesn't work out at going to say, Villa, for £50k a week for one more year.

So very often 1 year contracts are in the interest of the player too.

xCELERYx   
On 02/11/2018 at 9:40 PM, The_Ghost said:

Green, Caballero, Luiz, Cahill, Kovacic, Fabregas, Piazon, Giroud. Out of these 8, I reckon only Luiz and Caballero are likely to stay beyond the summer. 

Fabregas and Giroud will depend on how it looks for them in terms of minutes until January. Kovacic beeing a long-shot. 

Green, Cahill and Piazon almost certain to leave. 

There's a good chance we lose a number of players either in January or the summer. We've got three players already who are unhappy about a lack of playing time; Cahill, Christensen and Moses. We've got those who will be out of contract as you've mentioned. Then I can easily see another two or three growing discontent by seasons end if things remain as they are - Emerson, Zappacosta and Drinkwater. Three players who could all be playing regularly elsewhere. 

We could quite easily be looking at seeing 10 players (give or take) leaving. That's a huge problem, when you consider that we still have holes to fill in general and a serious issue upfront. 

xCELERYx   
22 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Sarri has confirmed that Gary Cahill is his Captain, with Azpi as Vice Captain. Strange to pick somebody who won't play but then again I guess he will still be there in the dressing room and Sarri said the players backed his decision and had told him GC is a very good captain.

Not overly strange with how long it's taken for this to be confirmed. Keeping Cahill as captain disrupts nothing and the players obviously respect him. Also think it's a decision that pays respect or what he's done here over the years. Which is something I support.