• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Squad Status: 2018/2019 Season

6 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Not overly strange with how long it's taken for this to be confirmed. Keeping Cahill as captain disrupts nothing and the players obviously respect him. Also think it's a decision that pays respect or what he's done here over the years. Which is something I support. 

Not a lot of choice really.  Azpi, Luiz, or Cahill.
Cabellero doesn't play enough, Kante just too shy, Hazard too much his own man (nothing wrong with that), Willian ditto (and perhaps Luiz).  Fabregas, Giroud and Pedro too identified with other clubs and not starting often enough.  Jorginho too new - but sticking with Cahill might mean Jorgy is the long term prospect.

This is how I see the squad breaking down over the next 6 months or so...

CURRENT (27):

Kepa, Caballero, Green, Bulka

Rudiger, Christensen, Azpilicueta, Luiz, Zappacosta, Emerson, Cahill, Alonso, Ampadu

Fabregas, Drinkwater, Jorginho, Kovacic, Kante, Barkley, RLC

CHO, Hazard, Pedro, Willian, Moses

Morata, Giroud

JANUARY MOVES:

Out: Ampadu (loan), Drinkwater (sold), Moses (sold)
In: New AM

JANUARY SQUAD (25):

Kepa, Caballero, Green, Bulka

Rudiger, Christensen, Azpilicueta, Luiz, Zappacosta, Emerson, Cahill, Alonso

Fabregas, Jorginho, Kovacic, Kante, Barkley, RLC

CHO, Hazard, Pedro, Willian, New AM

Morata, Giroud

SUMMER MOVES:

Out: Ampadu (loan), CHO (loan), Green (Free), Zouma (Sold), Batshuayi (Sold), Tammy (Loan), Bakayoko (Loan), Cahill (Sold), Emerson (Sold), Fabregas (Sold)
In: Kovacic (Perm), New STK, New CB, New AM2, New LB, Loan CM stay (Van Ginkel, Baker or Pasalic)

NEXT SEASON SQUAD:

JANUARY SQUAD (25):

Kepa, Caballero, Bulka

Rudiger, Christensen, Azpilicueta, Luiz, Zappacosta, Alonso, New CB, New LB

Jorginho, Kovacic, Kante, Barkley, RLC, Loan CM

Hazard, Pedro, Willian, New AM, New AM2

Morata, Giroud, New Stk

That's 5 signing over the next 2 windows, which seems reasonable to me. This obviously all form and fitness permitting, but I think the above is quite likely and will take us closer to the kind of squad Sarri would want.

Or I could be completely wrong!

Jasonb   

I think a little differently, agree on Drinkwater and Moses.

Think RLC will go if we get more cover in midfield, I have read a rumour about Lozano.

Think Ampadu will stay yet Christensen will be sold.

With Morata's form and now even Giround scoring do not think we will risk a big outlay on a new striker in January.

Not sure where I should put this, but as a sign of how far we have to go... 

City have De Bruyne, Gundogan, Jesus, B Silva, Bravo and Mendy out injured and can still have this against Lyon tonight; 

Ederson; Walker, Laporte, Stones, Zinchenko; Mahrez, Fernandinho, D Silva; Sane, Aguero, Sterling

Subs: Muric, Kompany, Danilo, Otamendi, Delph, Diaz, Foden

That’s pretty insane! What’s even more crazy is that he’s starting with all five available senior AMs instead of having one of them on the bench as insurance! 

8 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

That’s pretty insane! What’s even more crazy is that he’s starting with all five available senior AMs instead of having one of them on the bench as insurance! 

Certainly insane.  His does have two young AMs on the bench though.  But they always play with a lot of AMs, and I bet that if their CL place was not pretty secure, some of those injuries would magically heal.

xCELERYx   
8 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

City have De Bruyne, Gundogan, Jesus, B Silva, Bravo and Mendy out injured and can still have this against Lyon tonight; 

Ederson; Walker, Laporte, Stones, Zinchenko; Mahrez, Fernandinho, D Silva; Sane, Aguero, Sterling

What's equally worrying is that we could potentially (and realistically) lose some, if not all of the below, come January, if not the end of the season.

Luiz*, Fabregas*, Cahill*, Green*, Willy*, Giroud*, Piazon* Kovacic**, Christensen, Moses, Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Morata, Emerson and Hazard.

Cahill, Christensen, Moses and Zappacosta have all expressed frustrations about limited playing time that's come with Sarri's appointment.

We've apparently blocked a January move for Emerson who is a good contender to leave in the summer. I can't see him being content with such a limited roll for another season. 

There's 7 players out of contact and 1 loan ending.

Then we have the struggling Morata that needs dealing with. Drinkwater's situation will need resolving. What we do with our 2nd and 3rd choice keeper options, while Piazon is a dead cert to leave. 

The other worry is Hazard's future, as he'll only have 1 year remaining on his contract - (as will Willian, Pedro, Azpilicueta and Van Ginkel who also have contracts expiring in June 2020).

All while we still have a number of gaps in the squad as it is that requires strengthening. 

This could be one of the biggest and most defining off-seasons the club has faced in a very long time.

* - Out of contact
** - End of loan

Edited by xCELERYx

paulw66   
13 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

I'm not sure it is that insane........ the subs bench looks unusually ropey for them. 3 defenders out of 6 outfield subs is not ideal, and the two attackers are both kids. 

Holymoly   

I fear a midfield of Jorginho, Kovacic and Kante do not provide enough attacking support to our two weak strikers. They both look far more effective with Barclay or RLC in there. The manager however looks to be unwilling to change it unless injuries force his hand so we undoubtably need a stronger striker in January.

Jasonb   
On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, Holymoly said:

I fear a midfield of Jorginho, Kovacic and Kante do not provide enough attacking support to our two weak strikers. They both look far more effective with Barclay or RLC in there. The manager however looks to be unwilling to change it unless injuries force his hand so we undoubtably need a stronger striker in January.

Sarri does often bring on either Barkley or RLC  later in matches and has them starting in cup matches. 

Theoretically they could start against the more defensive PL teams yet we have been caught out like at Wolves. 

Perhaps against weaker opposition at the bridge would be the time to start them though for me certainly not against Palace or Watford away.