• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Squad Status: 2019/2020 Season

Holymoly   
18 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm sticking to "It's Moses, he is ordinary, whatever you call him".

I agree. He is ordinary. However, overall he is better than Zappacosta inasmuch as what he brings to the overall team performance. That said, Hazard aside, I would argue almost all the rest of the squad is at best "ordinary" too. Hazard is the exception because when he is good he can be exceptional. Unfortunately though those instances have not been sufficient to rescue our season from baseline mediocrity.

Dingus   
On 9/1/2017 at 8:22 AM, Dingus said:

So barring injuries, the first team will be:

Courtois

Cahill Luiz Azpilicueta

Moses Kante Bakayoko Alonso

Pedro Morata Hazard

Bench: Caballero, Rudiger, Christensen, Fabregas, Willian, Drinkwater, Batshuayi

With the likes of Kenedy and Musonda lurking in the background.

I'm sorry to burst anyones mediocrity bubble, but that is in no way shape or form an acceptable squad who is expected to challenge on four fronts this season. You are kidding yourselves if you think otherwise.

Be honest, is anyone confident of Michy actually coming off the bench and being a significant game changer if the chips are down or if Morata gets a significant injury? Jury's out on that one for me. I'd say there was more chance of Conte using Hazard as a striker if need be than starting Michy.

Drinkwater? Pass.

Willian? Hit and miss. Great work ethic but his decision making is awful.

Cesc is the only one I could accept that could come on and potentially unlock a defence if required. But again, not a true game changer is he...

But that's it. That's all we have.

How anyone can say that the window was a success or anything close to that has bought into the notion that it's acceptable to have a good first XI and then merely pad out a bench with so so players.

Looking back, the only positives from this season were Rudiger and Christensen displacing Cahill and Luiz IMO.

I did warn everyone that the squad was woefully ill equipped to deal with the rigors of the season and given how the season has turned out, it has come to fruition.

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

I agree. He is ordinary. However, overall he is better than Zappacosta inasmuch as what he brings to the overall team performance. That said, Hazard aside, I would argue almost all the rest of the squad is at best "ordinary" too. Hazard is the exception because when he is good he can be exceptional. Unfortunately though those instances have not been sufficient to rescue our season from baseline mediocrity.

I'd have Zappa better than Moses, but both are ordinary  - the only argument is whether ordinary means moderate or downright poor.

Willian, Fabregas are much more than ordinary, Kante is more exceptional than even Hazard IMO.  

20 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Looking back, the only positives from this season were Rudiger and Christensen displacing Cahill and Luiz IMO.

I did warn everyone that the squad was woefully ill equipped to deal with the rigors of the season and given how the season has turned out, it has come to fruition.

In terms of replacing an older generation, it is good to see Rudiger and Chirstensen in.  Not sure either is an improvement yet, and I am not sure the sidelining of Luiz is a positive thing. 

Woefully equipped, and yet everyone is looking for fresh reasons for the obvious.

BlueWill   
20 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

No - in my opinion Moses is rubbish at most things.

You haven't yet said he'd be good anywhere (I'm waiting), you are relying on the term "wingback" as a definition of Moses.

IMO WBs don't need to be very good and Conte IMO knows that too.  Look at how we play - the WBs stay wide and don't get involved in play, our 8 match their 10 players and every now and then the ball goes out wide to our WB who just has to put in a good cross to be a star.  And Moses can't do that well.  (this is pretty standard knowledge btw, to say that the skills of a WB is some how crucial to a system would be very controversial).

You're on a controversial roll today.  IMO shaw is much worse.

You mean it's called "wingback" so he must be good at attacking argument.  
I'm sticking to "It's Moses, he is ordinary, whatever you call him".

All I did was take issue with your claiming that Moses is rubbish after claiming a few weeks back that Pedro and Cesc are world class. IMHO all three claims are a nonsense, the only one I've asked you to justify was your slating of Moses. 

Last night AC started Zappa and Pedro, it's hard to believe that Moses was a worse option than either, particulalry in view of his Sunday performance and in fact every game since Burnley. He now looks fully fit so I wonder why AC played him at 70%? 

I am not relying on wingback as defining Moses, simply discussing his performances which (funnily enough) are in his current position as wingback. He's spent his entire career apart from the last two seasons as a forward.

You appear to relegate the role of WB to that of an intrested spectator. Is that why Citeh spent so much (even for them) on Walker and Mendy at the end of Victor's conversion season? Is that why Alonso made EPL team of the season? Selecting a WB with no HMF surely confirms it was about contribution?

Not controversial at all, Young is mediocrity personified, whilst Luke Shaw remains an oustanding talent. Even Jose declared there aren't many better than Luke Shaw.

31 minutes ago, BlueWill said:

You appear to relegate the role of WB to that of an intrested spectator. Is that why Citeh spent so much (even for them) on Walker and Mendy at the end of Victor's conversion season? Is that why Alonso made EPL team of the season? Selecting a WB with no HMF surely confirms it was about contribution?

Not quite.  I am saying that the opportunities present themselves to a WB when he is asked to stand out wide and just wait - which is what Moses regularly does.  As a result even an ordinary FB ought to impress, and a good attacking FB/WB/ex-winger ought to look fantastic.  Alonso often does look good, Moses very rarely.
How come Alonso got chosen in team of the season - does anyone have a clue?  When Kante didn't?  

What is an HMF?  

BlueWill   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not quite.  I am saying that the opportunities present themselves to a WB when he is asked to stand out wide and just wait - which is what Moses regularly does.  As a result even an ordinary FB ought to impress, and a good attacking FB/WB/ex-winger ought to look fantastic.  Alonso often does look good, Moses very rarely.
How come Alonso got chosen in team of the season - does anyone have a clue?  When Kante didn't?  

What is an HMF?  

But they dont stand around waiting. When I wrote of Moses's attributes I did point out that he and Alonso are both very quick to adopt a receiving position when our opponents attack breaks down. Moses is frequently involved in our area in open play, moreso than Alonso who has to conserve energy.

Kante has not had a great season becuse he's been involved further upfield which does not play to his strengths. The primary reason being that is Cesc's hoplessly immoblile and simply cannot gain ground to support attacks and even if he did, he'd not make it back. One of AC's best examples radical thinking / desire to mess up our season and immediate future - keep a (supposedly) good passer back where he's rubbish and push a defender who's not that good on the ball upfield.

I see you agree about Christensen's contribution to their goal.

Edited by BlueWill
Ommission

BlueWill   
3 hours ago, Dingus said:

How do you get that Christensen was a positive? He is young with 2 Gerrman seasons experience. A good foundation to work on and build from. But we dropped him in the deep end and he simply couldn't cope. Revisit Roma at the Bridge, see him letting Huddersfield in last night and a whole lot in between. I'm sure he did his best but he is nowhere near the finished article and so will always come up short against better oposition. Cahill makes us look more secure when played centrally, though granted he's vulnerable on the flank as was clear back in September. Rudi's done well.  

jones   

Christensen took his chance this season. He is 21 and to expect him to turn in top performances from start to finish is naive. My impression is that he is exhausted. Not strange really. More pressure than he has ever had, and he has benched the captain who has for sure dug deep to make sure he won his place back. It is natural that a 21 year old center back makes errors, it is how he copes with them and learns from them that is essential. That was probably JT's biggest strength. AC seems to be a calm and collected person, used to winning and full of ambition. That it took him just a few weeks to go from 5th choice CB to 2nd choice tells you everything you need to know about the lad's mentality. Will be back even stronger next season.

Edited by jones
  • Like 1

Moses is certainly not a winger anymore and he is an okay wing back who I would be happy to keep around as back up. He did well for a while last season but he is not starting quality for Chelsea. If you have a choice between playing him at right wing or right back then it's a no brainer surely? For a converted winger he is useless as an attacking threat although actually pretty solid defensively. 

Zappacosta on the flip side is supposed to be a right back and can't defend. He is actually decent going forward but as most have said pretty average overall. Azpilicueta's crossing has come a long way in the last couple of seasons and in a back four he's perfect for right back. Taking Zappa off and moving him to full back resulted in most of our best chances the other night. 

Ashley Young and Valencia for that matter have shown themselves to be great full backs. Never in a million years would have seen Young as an aggressive left back capable of keeping the form player in the world in his back pocket. Shaw has had three separate managers question his fitness and attitude whilst barely playing in the last 3 seasons. His leg brake was horrific and it remains to be seen if he will ever really come back from that. Not even a debate about who's the better left back and personally I think Young should go to the World Cup. 

• Like 1

jones   

Major issues: aging squad, misfiring attack, crumbling under pressure. So we need to rejuvenate, add goals and assists to our attack and get in skillful players that can help us control games and possession.

ATTACK: Need to invest in at least one AM (I prefer Zaha) and an AM/CF (I prefer Martial) to bolster our misfiring attack. EL is perfect to promote Hudson-Odoi, who at 17 has proved this season that he is immensely talented and took the level in his first team matches with ease. CF is the main issue here, but we have three good options and Morata can only improve. Time to move Pedro on, even if he could be a good backup. We need to rejuvenate our attack, and make a path for CHO.

MIDFIELD was perhaps our achilles heel this season. The only reason we "survived" was because of Kanté. We need more tenacity and drive, and players that will help us control possession. To bring back Loftus-Cheek is a big no-brainer. He is ready to stake a claim for a first team spot. I like the rumors of Seri at Nice, but not sure what his best position is - looks like a box to box with playmaking abilities. Which is what we need. Is it a problem that he is the same size as Kanté? Jorginho is another good option, but may be too expensive (and going to City?). Bakayoko gets another chance, but Drinkwater does not. Barkley has everything to prove, but at least has goals in him which currently is the biggest weakness of this midfield.

DEFENSE: Full back positions are set, and Moses can be interesting to have as a back up RB. Rudiger can play there also, and the bang average Zappacosta should be cashed in on as quickly as we can. I would prefer to invest in a new CB, but not sure we can afford it. What we need is an experienced option to play with Rudiger or Christensen. And I am not sure which options out there are attainable, affordable and guaranteed to be a first choice ahead of the bunch we already have. Perhaps makes more sense to bring back Zouma, who can potentially be the perfect partner to Christensen long-term. If it does not work out, a world class CB would be top of the list next summer. 

GOALKEEPER: Hopefully, Courtois extends. The guy is still one of the top 5 in the world, even if his mentality can be criticized and his distribution is so-so. Eduardo shall not continue after two years without an appearance, and since Willy will be here next season also (and was dubious at times) it would be a good idea to include Blackman in the trio, who is coming off a good season in the CH. Let the two challenge each other for the right to be Courtois' back up. 

So, three top signings and three loan recalls. Will cost between 125-150m.

Players to leave the first team is Luiz (5-15m), Drinkwater (25-30m), Zappacosta (15-20m), Pedro (5-15m) and Eduardo. Loan players Batshuayi (35-50m), Kenedy (15-20m), van Ginkel (10-15m) will make the total in player sales 110-165m. There are also a few other loan players that can raise further funds if needed. So for sure, if the club continues its good record of getting top money in sales, it is possible to fund this new squad without spending a lot of money:

5afbd141f15e9_Skjermbilde2018-05-16kl_08_35_05.thumb.png.f51c03d1183ca957c637a2ae0b871453.png

Edited by jones