• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Squad Status: 2019/2020 Season

Bison   
56 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Really don’t understand the Barkley hate on here??

I don’t think he’s set the world alight but he’s not been bad either - certainly no worse than Kovacic.

Sarri’s rigid tactics massively stifle him too

10 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I think a lot of Barkey's criticism is unfair. He is a player with limited skills, but he has not been given the chance to show his best skills. Under Sarri, I don't think any player knew what they were supposed to be doing, not even Jorginho (once Sarriball was binned). Top players like Hazard and Kante had to graft every single minute to get results for the team. Kante had to play in 2 or more positions every match.  Less versatile players like Barkley often appeared lost.

I think Barkley's best stills are in powerful runs with the ball. He can also win balls. But he needs the freedom to do that. Let's wait to see what happens under Lampard.

You both admit that he has been underwhelming and isn't that talented - surely you can understand why people criticise him. 

Sarri gave him way more opportunities than his performances deserved and he failed to deliver.

Barkley will be 26 before the end of the year! He is at the absolute peak of his powers now and it's NOWHERE near good enough.

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Funny to hear Mark and Ham claiming to be bullied by a noisy minority.  

Touched a nerve there I see .

I'm not complaining about bullying at all .

Blue Rod   
16 minutes ago, Bison said:

You both admit that he has been underwhelming and isn't that talented - surely you can understand why people criticise him. 

Sarri gave him way more opportunities than his performances deserved and he failed to deliver.

Barkley will be 26 before the end of the year! He is at the absolute peak of his powers now and it's NOWHERE near good enough.

Well, I said that intentionally. Because we have had midfielders who could not tackle a dead ball, and those could not hit a barn door, and yet were successful players for Chelsea. You do not have to be an all-rounder to be a top player. I just looked at the performances of our individual players last season and could not see a stand out player. Established players like Hazard could enjoy the freedom of the pitch to reinvent themselves. Newer players like Barkley had to keep to their remit, and when that remit is unclear, it can stifle performance.  Barkley may still turn out to be a very poor player, but I would reserve my final judgement.

Personally I think the criticism of Barkley is unjustified , I'm not going to pretend he's a World beater , he isn't , however Sarri's philosophy does not have room for players that like to burst through the lines from midfield into attack . You could see the fear in his eyes when he was employed to move the ball on , keeping it moving and in our interminable possession , he struggled to do it as well as Kovacic or Jorginho and it showed . Time and again we saw Kante as the most forward of our midfielders and he was absolutely clueless in that position , a position made for Barkley .

Thankfully Lampard is one for round pegs in round holes and not philosophy first players second.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Personally I think the criticism of Barkley is unjustified , I'm not going to pretend he's a World beater , he isn't , however Sarri's philosophy does not have room for players that like to burst through the lines from midfield into attack . You could see the fear in his eyes when he was employed to move the ball on , keeping it moving and in our interminable possession , he struggled to do it as well as Kovacic or Jorginho and it showed . Time and again we saw Kante as the most forward of our midfielders and he was absolutely clueless in that position , a position made for Barkley .

Thankfully Lampard is one for round pegs in round holes and not philosophy first players second.

Indeed, I think we'll see some of our 'under-performers' step up a level or two by being given roles more suited to their skill-set rather than forced to play in a manner that ill suits them.

17 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Personally I think the criticism of Barkley is unjustified , I'm not going to pretend he's a World beater , he isn't , however Sarri's philosophy does not have room for players that like to burst through the lines from midfield into attack .

Really?  I thought that was exactly Sarri's philosophy.  Indeed the complaint was that he had moved the worlds greatest playmaker from the role to accommodate Jorginho and do exactly that.  Did it never occur to you (or Barkley) that if Kante had been urged to get into the box, then Barkley was too.  (RLC worked it out)

I thought Barkley's problem was his desire to put his foot on the ball and have a long gander.  The Pritt Stick in the pinball machine.

25 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Really?  I thought that was exactly Sarri's philosophy.  Indeed the complaint was that he had moved the worlds greatest playmaker from the role to accommodate Jorginho and do exactly that.  Did it never occur to you (or Barkley) that if Kante had been urged to get into the box, then Barkley was too.  (RLC worked it out)

I thought Barkley's problem was his desire to put his foot on the ball and have a long gander.  The Pritt Stick in the pinball machine.

No. One player is allowed to break forward , Sarri chose The wrong one.

The whole philosophy changed when RLC was picked , Sarri was too thick to see that RLC and Barkley were similar and not Barkley and Kovacic.

Edited by Mark Kelly

Ham   
43 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

27 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Indeed, I think we'll see some of our 'under-performers' step up a level or two by being given roles more suited to their skill-set rather than forced to play in a manner that ill suits them.

I'd hope everyone on here would want him to succeed with Chelsea. Win win if he does. 

Compare the shackled Barkley in a Chelsea shirt with the one who played really well for England with a little more freedom.  Chalk and cheese.

1 minute ago, Ham said:

I'd hope everyone on here would want him to succeed with Chelsea. Win win if he does. 

Compare the shackled Barkley in a Chelsea shirt with the one who played really well for England with a little more freedom.  Chalk and cheese.

Exactly , I'm hoping for a chance for Drinkwater too , and Mount , the coaching set up points towards it.

Ideally there will be a pathway for promotion that didn't exist before but I suppose you'd have to be prepared to believe the players are any good to begin with .