• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Squad Status: 2019/2020 Season

10 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Not sure where to put this, but this was in the Guardian and since the Jorginho thread is closed...

There is an implicit tone in the article that suggests that Jorginho did not play well last year.  I presume it comes from answering specific questions, especially as Frank says he watched only the later games of the season.  It is most unfair.

Curious though that Frank was watching Chelsea games just as his Derby season was peaking.  Supports the idea that Juve came for Sarri quite early and Chelsea approached Frank early too.

Premier League squad announced

Frank Lampard’s squad for this season has been confirmed by the Premier League following the closure of the European transfer window.

It includes five homegrown players: Ross Barkley, Andreas Christensen, Fikayo Tomori, Tammy Abraham and Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

The remaining 14 players are: Marcos Alonso, Kepa, Cesar Azpilicueta, Michy Batshuayi, Willian, Willy Caballero, Olivier Giroud, Jorginho, N’Golo Kante, Mateo Kovacic, Emerson, Pedro, Toni Rudiger and Kurt Zouma.

Christian Pulisic, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Reece James and Jamie Cumming are all classified as Under-21 players and do not impact the 25-man squad registration.

2 thoughts on this - bad and good.

19 adults in the squad is very worrying - much like 15/16 when we finished 10th.  We could struggle.
I suppose this squad is better - it has 4 U21s, one of which, Pulisic should play an adult role, while CHO and James will both be good quality back up and Cummings is effectively much the same as an adult GK3.
15/16 we had Zouma and Rahman, Traore and Kenedy as U21s, who started 21, 11, 4 and 4  PL games respectively.  The other young players used were probably not part of the plan:  RLC (4 starts), Clarke-Salter, Tomori and Tammy (a few minutes each)
We also had a crocked Falcao, an ineffective Remy, an effectively crocked Pato from January, and believe it or not, Bats was added in January too.  We did at least have a January window which we used to bring in 2 rubbish strikers and sell Ramires!

The good thought is just how many non-performing Chelsea players have been sold or loaned out  this summer.  JM/Hiddink left behind a very strong core and a load of space for the next manager to build a PL winning team on.  SFL is leaving a much much smaller core.  But he has cleared the squad of a lot of nondescript players.

Off on loan are:  Baker, Miazga, Drinkwater, Kenedy, Piazon, Bakayoko, Moses.  Don't expect any to come back permanently.
Hazard, Aina, Kalas, Omeruo, Luiz, Cahill, Eduardo, Kane,  are all sold/moved on, Green retired.

Leaves a lot of space for next year!

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

2 thoughts on this - bad and good.

19 adults in the squad is very worrying - much like 15/16 when we finished 10th.  We could struggle.
I suppose this squad is better - it has 4 U21s, one of which, Pulisic should play an adult role, while CHO and James will both be good quality back up and Cummings is effectively much the same as an adult GK3.
15/16 we had Zouma and Rahman, Traore and Kenedy as U21s, who started 21, 11, 4 and 4  PL games respectively.  The other young players used were probably not part of the plan:  RLC (4 starts), Clarke-Salter, Tomori and Tammy (a few minutes each)
We also had a crocked Falcao, an ineffective Remy, an effectively crocked Pato from January, and believe it or not, Bats was added in January too.  We did at least have a January window which we used to bring in 2 rubbish strikers and sell Ramires!

The good thought is just how many non-performing Chelsea players have been sold or loaned out  this summer.  JM/Hiddink left behind a very strong core and a load of space for the next manager to build a PL winning team on.  SFL is leaving a much much smaller core.  But he has cleared the squad of a lot of nondescript players.

Off on loan are:  Baker, Miazga, Drinkwater, Kenedy, Piazon, Bakayoko, Moses.  Don't expect any to come back permanently.
Hazard, Aina, Kalas, Omeruo, Luiz, Cahill, Eduardo, Kane,  are all sold/moved on, Green retired.

Leaves a lot of space for next year!

19 adults + 5 U21s (Mount, Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi, James, Cumming). Possibly 6 U21s if you include Gilmour.

4 of the adults and 1 of the U21s (Caballero, Willian, Pedro, Giroud, Hudson-Odoi) are out of contract at the end of the season and may need replacing. Given that we've already promoted most of the likely candidates from the loan army, we're looking at needing 5-6 big signings next year in order to have a squad that can challenge for the top four. Other than Ampadu most of the loan army is made up of first team rejects that no one will pay full price for, or academy graduates looking to earn a Championship move.

Playing within our limitations is going to be the issue this year. 

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

Given that we've already promoted most of the likely candidates from the loan army, we're looking at needing 5-6 big signings next year in order to have a squad that can challenge for the top four.

Yup.  The cupboard is bare, but the purse is full one hopes.

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

Playing within our limitations is going to be the issue this year. 

If only.  We seem to be going gung ho in every game and playing beyond what we are capable of - much like we did when we fell behind the title chase in 15/16.

So, as the season has progressed I think it has become more and more clear that we are both blessed with a number of great youth products that look like they can play at the top level (I am still holding back from making a firm opinion until Feb as I feel we are still too early into the season) but we also need a few top level players to push this squad up to the level of the Dippers and City. 

In my opinion, I would like to see the following addressed over two-three windows once we can buy again: 

GK: Kepa, GK2, Willy

CB: Rudi, New CB, Tomori, AC/Zouma 

FB: Dave, James, Emerson, New FB 

CM: Jorgi, Kova, Kante*/New CM, Mount, RLC

AM: Puli, CHO, Willian, New AM 

CF: Tammy, New CF, Bats**

*I can see Kante going if a £90m+ bid comes in. If that does happen, his replacement needs to be top class. Hopefully it does not.

**I would like to see Bats stay as CF3 but I am unsure if he would accept this.

Outs: Zouma/AC, Alonso, Barkley, Pedro, Giroud plus numerous loan players.