• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Squad Status: 2020/21 Season

Rob B   
3 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

2. I have no idea why you would have thought that. It's been a very badly kept secret that Matic was about to leave. We knew this last summer probably when Conte had to convince Matic to stay one more season. This is not a case of us being caught in the wrong foot, we took an active decision to offer a contract to Chalobah and then loaning him out again despite knowing Matic was on his way. That much should be crystal I'd have thought. 

Completely agree.  Assuming the players in no way talk to one another about their future (which I just can't believe),  he didn't go on the pre-season tour with us and trained alone, surely they didn't decide this the day before?!

The players will generally know what's going on with one another (not necessarily specific details, but they'll know if someone wants to leave and has refused a new deal for the past year)

Fact of the matter is, Conte wanted to loan Chalobah out - we know this because he's said it in an interview. And that in itself is just madness. 

4 minutes ago, Rob B said:

And that in itself is just madness. 

A very common theme with us for a number of years now. 

jangz   

to be honest there is reason why only Watford bid for chalobah.. I don't want to knock the lad down but he is not very special.. the problem with chalobah is the fact that he is good player without a couple of outstanding qualities..

he is not the most physical, he is not a ball winner .. neither a play maker or a no 10.. more of a poor man's Jordan Henderson who can do a job play a role.. 

Even if our academy products aren't world beaters, if we have a system in place where they know the role they need to play and they regularly play this position from 16/17 onward they can become a usable squad option for the first team by the time they reach 20/21. Integrating academy players as squad options has been a distant dream of some for a while but now the economic realities of trying to build a squad in the current transfer market (I.e. pay Man City prices or be left short of players) adds new urgency.

I think that promoting an academy coach to work with the first team would be an important step towards integrating more youth players and giving the first team a deeper squad, and that given the improved production line of coaches within the club we could have a homegrown head coach candidate within a decade (especially if JT or Frank want to earn their badges with us). However, with the club employing a new set of coaches and different approaches every couple of years there is very little chance of this in the short term.

jones   
3 hours ago, Rob B said:

Completely agree.  Assuming the players in no way talk to one another about their future (which I just can't believe),  he didn't go on the pre-season tour with us and trained alone, surely they didn't decide this the day before?!

The players will generally know what's going on with one another (not necessarily specific details, but they'll know if someone wants to leave and has refused a new deal for the past year)

Fact of the matter is, Conte wanted to loan Chalobah out - we know this because he's said it in an interview. And that in itself is just madness. 

We have been calling for more manager power, and now we have got it we don't want it? Matic, Costa and Chalobah. Had Conte wanted them to stay, they would have stayed.

Our problem remains this: the club has failed to do their part of the deal. Get signings done!

Zoowraa   
8 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I'm sorry but that wiewpoint in itself defeats any argument to have more than 11 outfield players. 

It's a squad game these days (even Claudio Ranieri said this back in 2002) and it hasn't changed. It's not enough to have 11 players good enough to be starting, you need 20 players who are all good enough to be starting some games. Those four are, without discussion, good enough to be starting for us in any competition and do it without making us materially weaker. 

Funny you mention his name. Clearly, a manager with his limitations although he has also had a very good career.......but if things do go sour and we want a proven, experienced manager who WILL give young players a chance and will not demand too much power. Then he might just be the man, he has a track record for bringing younger players through and did it first time around at Chelsea.

He would also jump at the chance to return, I am certain of that. Even if it was only for a couple of transitional seasons.

Clearly, many better managers out there, but for what we might need to be looking at as a club over the next couple of seasons after (or midway) this then he ticks many boxes.

4 minutes ago, jones said:

We have been calling for more manager power, and now we have got it we don't want it? Matic, Costa and Chalobah. Had Conte wanted them to stay, they would have stayed.

Our problem remains this: the club has failed to do their part of the deal. Get signings done!

Absolutely. But there also seem to be a lack of communication between different stakeholders at the club. 

The timing of us letting players go vs the timing of when we sign their replacements being a case in point. 

But it's all done now and we have seemingly not learnt from past mistakes. Not sure what else to say on this subject that hasn't already been stated. 

All we can do now is close our eyes and hope for the best and have some distant hope that this is never allowed to happen again. Not likely but what else can we do? 

2 minutes ago, Zoowraa said:

Funny you mention his name. Clearly, a manager with his limitations although he has also had a very good career.......but if things do go sour and we want a proven, experienced manager who WILL give young players a chance and will not demand too much power. Then he might just be the man, he has a track record for bringing younger players through and did it first time around at Chelsea.

He would also jump at the chance to return, I am certain of that. Even if it was only for a couple of transitional seasons.

Clearly, many better managers out there, but for what we might need to be looking at as a club over the next couple of seasons after (or midway) this then he ticks many boxes.

Good shout that. 

I wouldn't mind him coming back. We can, and have done, a lot worse since he was fired. 

jones   
25 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Absolutely. But there also seem to be a lack of communication between different stakeholders at the club. 

The timing of us letting players go vs the timing of when we sign their replacements being a case in point. 

But it's all done now and we have seemingly not learnt from past mistakes. Not sure what else to say on this subject that hasn't already been stated. 

All we can do now is close our eyes and hope for the best and have some distant hope that this is never allowed to happen again. Not likely but what else can we do? 

Yeah, but to me it appears to be more in the mould of Conte trusting the club/board and they failing to deliver. "You can sell Matic and Chalobah if you bring me Bakayoko and Mr X". 

4 minutes ago, jones said:

Yeah, but to me it appears to be more in the mould of Conte trusting the club/board and they failing to deliver. "You can sell Matic and Chalobah if you bring me Bakayoko and Mr X". 

Unfortunately , that's not what Conte is on record as saying .

He said they'd bough Bakayoko to understudy Matic and to eventually take over when Matic left  which , knowing this is why Chalobah wanted to leave.