• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Squad Status: 2021/22 Season

4 minutes ago, chara said:

Struggling to find the right forum as the Injury one is archived

I imagine that is not a deliberate mod decision, just based on no one using it for a long time.
You could probably start up a new thread.  

5 minutes ago, chara said:

Chelsea are carrying two players post bad injuries...neither seem to have recovered pre injury promise/form...CHO and RLC...Zouma ..for me can be included in that grouping but not to the same degree...never thought he caught up after the bad injury.....trying to recall any Chelsea players who appeared to recover from a bad injury or like the mentioned players never quite caught up...

Harsh reality says move them on....a bloated squad does not need injury affected players.......

Loads of points in here.

• Did either CHO or RLC really look like top class players before the injury?
    Not sure they really did.  They promised a lot which is not quite the same.  CHO has never really delivered for us, and RLC only in his last few games before injury (by when he was 23).
    So given the much higher standards of the last 6 months, (or comparing RLC at Palace vs Fulham) I'm not sure either has lost much through the injury.
  • Is an achilles tear a really bad injury?
    Both if I recall walked off the pitch suggesting they both had partial tears.  It is complicated because the technical term "rupture" includes both partial tears and full disconnects.
    Both are young, both will heal quickly, both were a full season into recovery before last season.
    I think an achilles tear is not a really bad injury career wise - at least for those still in their 20s.  Others disagree.
  • Other Chelsea players.  No one remembers the cases where players got over "really bad" injuries and came back pretty much unchanged.  There is the story of the teenage Osgood who was crocked by Emlyn Hughes and was never the same player.  And there is the story of Osgood who became the King of Stamford Bridge.  Serious injury or nothing much depends on the story you want to tell.  (Ossie made light of it, "I got better, but Emlyn's still got that silly voice").  "Really bad" injuries tend to be defined by whether the career went south afterwards.
  • Should we get rid?  
    Wages.  It won't be easy.  Right now we are short at AM/striker.  CHO at a minimum is needed.  The trick will be to persuade RLC he has to play like Mount and not Matic; then he would be an addition to the club.
  • Are they injury affected?
    https://www.flashscore.co.uk/player/loftus-cheek-ruben/6DpURWF8/
    This suggests that RLC has been unavailable through injury for 5 games since his Feb 2020 return to the bench (or just 3 games since his first start in March 2020)
    I'd say he is less injury prone now than he was 3 or 4 years ago.
    https://www.flashscore.co.uk/player/hudson-odoi-callum/dtU5eexQ/
    CHO has missed 15 games with injuries in 2 years since coming quickly back from the achilles tear.  But he has been available for  104 games in that time    (including the last 42 matches)  I don't see that as injury prone - just the opposite for a sprinting winger.  

chara   

Thank you Droy...a masterclass of a response....I didn't mention Shellitto as you and I have discussed his career ending injury and I was of a mind (and hoped) that you would respond to the questions...

Ossie I think claimed that he never quite got back the pace after the break but his skill set was far above any reliance on pace.

The three current (just in Zouma's case) players I mentioned I feel...in different ways.... have lost something...maybe just the feel of potential as much as anything....the club seem to keep expecting RLC to blossom..can't see any other reason...but I think he ..for whatever reason... joins Josh and others on the wayside...CHO is still in the balance for me...hoping but slowly losing belief in him..slowly I said!

As I write Eddie N comes to mind as an injury lost career......

So the final squad (at least until January) seems to be;

GK (3): Mendy (F), Arrizabalaga (F), Bettinelli (HG)

CB (5): Azpilicueta (F), Christensen (HG), Rudiger (F), Silva (F), Chalobah (HG)

RWB (2): James (HG), Hudson-Odoi (HG)

LWB (2): Alonso (F), Chilwell (HG)

CM (4): Kanté (F), Jorginho (F), Kovacic (F), Saul (F)

AM (6): Mount (HG), Havertz (F), Pulisic (F), Ziyech (F), Loftus-Cheek (HG), Anjorin (HG)

S (2): Lukaku (F), Werner (F)

3 GKs and 21 outfielders. 15 foreigners and 9 home-grown players.

What the future holds for Sarr, Barkley, Musonda and Baker is anyones guess. No squad number and no loan. Are they going on vacation until January then?

23 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

CB (5): Azpilicueta (F), Christensen (HG), Rudiger (F), Silva (F), Chalobah (HG)

AM (6): Mount (HG), Havertz (F), Pulisic (F), Ziyech (F), Loftus-Cheek (HG), Anjorin (HG)

What the future holds for Sarr, Barkley, Musonda and Baker is anyones guess. No squad number and no loan. Are they going on vacation until January then?

Anjorin will go to lokomotiv Moscow. 

11 minutes ago, didierforever said:

Anjorin will go to lokomotiv Moscow. 

Yeah, just realised their window is open until October 15. 

The window in Netherland, Italy, Germany and Spain is open until September 2 - perhaps Barkley, Baker, Sarr and Musonda will go there. 

2 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Yeah, just realised their window is open until October 15. 

The window in Netherland, Italy, Germany and Spain is open until September 2 - perhaps Barkley, Baker, Sarr and Musonda will go there. 

Are you sure about Spain? Cause I read that Barca and atm almost missed the deadlines to sign de Jong and Antoine respectively

58 minutes ago, didierforever said:

Are you sure about Spain? Cause I read that Barca and atm almost missed the deadlines to sign de Jong and Antoine respectively

Haha no. I used wikipedia as the source at first, but now found another who claims that England, Spain, Italy and Germany all closed on 31 aug and that Russia only runs to sep 7. 

No new info on Holland. So I'm not sure at all now... Perhaps someone who's in the know can clarify?

Edit: found this -> https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/c20c96217f4e6493/original/vmessewgm0ufm1wtq2qb-pdf.pdf

Seems Portugal and Russia may still be an option for Baker, Barkley, Musonda and Sarr. Not to mention Anjorin.

Edited by Sleeping Dave
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Seems Portugal and Russia may still be an option for Baker, Barkley, Musonda and Sarr. Not to mention Anjorin.

Yup. Hopefully. Turkey too. Club like Besiktas, fene, gala, trabszonspor would be a decent fit for any of them

paulw66   
2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Point of pedantry, but I think Lukaku is HG