Harvz

Official: Chelsea Sign Diego Costa

1,200 posts in this topic

Irrespective of the China rumours, Costa has been here (almost) 3 seasons. In each of those three seasons he has been excellent for one half, whilst being poor the other. Looking at it on a half season basis, it's been; good, poor, poor, good, good, poor*. If he's still here next season, and he follows his earlier pattern, we can expect a poor start followed by an improvement during the second half of the season. Given that in a recent interview he said that while he enjoyed playing for Chelsea he wasn't happy living in London, adding that he'd see out his contract (said in such a way that, it seemed to me at least, that he wouldn't be looking for a contract extension), is this summer perhaps the time to sell?

* There's still time to turn "poor" to "acceptable" or even "good"... but it's running out!

^^^^^^

Comedy gold Ham.

For me, I'd sell him in the summer. Given his contract situation and not enjoying the English lifestyle, I can't see why he'd sign a new deal to prolong that misery - more so when he's confirmed himself about trying to push a move back to Atletico last season. He may like the club, but having a player who is unhappy in other departments isn't going to create the best environment for him to succeed completely. 

We can't afford to have a CF who shows up for half a season, regardless of how good that half a season may be. While he's never really done it for us in Europe, also a concern. We'd be better off recouping a transfer fee and reinvesting that over letting him walk for free. 

57 minutes ago, zaffo said:

For me, I'd sell him in the summer. Given his contract situation and not enjoying the English lifestyle, I can't see why he'd sign a new deal to prolong that misery - more so when he's confirmed himself about trying to push a move back to Atletico last season. He may like the club, but having a player who is unhappy in other departments isn't going to create the best environment for him to succeed completely. 

We can't afford to have a CF who shows up for half a season, regardless of how good that half a season may be. While he's never really done it for us in Europe, also a concern. We'd be better off recouping a transfer fee and reinvesting that over letting him walk for free. 

29 in October, apparently only wants to go to one club, and rightly or more probably wrongly, widely being written off by even our own fans.  There won't be much of a transfer fee - especially if he wants to keep his current wages.  (Or do people really thing we can get Chinese start of year prices during their mid-season.)

More importantly - Costa in a dry spell remains a better CF than we have had since the "younger" DD left in 2012.

This urge to sell one of our best players is crazy - what would we do - buy another Michy?  Bring back Falcao & Pato.  Get Remy back from loan?  Or Sell Costa for 15m and buy back Lukaku for 60m?

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

There won't be much of a transfer fee - especially if he wants to keep his current wages.  (Or do people really thing we can get Chinese start of year prices during their mid-season.)

As usual when you make one of these unqualified claims, you wouldn't really have the first clue what any transfer fee would be - from China, Spain, or anywhere else. I don't know what he'd bring, but then, I'm not claiming that I do. As for China - best to wait and see, no?

More importantly - Costa in a dry spell remains a better CF than we have had since the "younger" DD left in 2012.

'In a dry spell' duly noted! Well chosen time frame, too! Better than a crocked Torres? A 'past it' Eto'o? A 'never was that good' Ba? A one-legged Falcao? Playboy Pato? Wow! Stiff competition there, even if it were true..........

This urge to sell one of our best players is crazy

If Costa was actually playing like he was one of our top players, and actually looked like he gave a toss, then you'd probably be correct. Unfortunately, he hasn't looked like that player since the turn of the year, and that's the better part of 4 months!

Who knows? Maybe he'll kick-start his season again against Spurs, actually look like the player you describe, and score a shed load as we walk away with the Prem. Personally, I'd love it! And that he could do that isn't in question - however, given his form and body language since the start of January, it would be more than surprising.

5 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

As usual when you make one of these unqualified claims, you wouldn't really have the first clue what any transfer fee would be - from China, Spain, or anywhere else. I don't know what he'd bring, but then, I'm not claiming that I do. As for China - best to wait and see, no?

??  If you want to ask best to wait and see, then perhaps you yourself shouldn't be speculating on him moving at all?  Best wait and see, yeah?

I think if you are going to posit a move, then discussing what we might get is pretty reasonable to me.

5 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

'In a dry spell' duly noted! Well chosen time frame, too! Better than a crocked Torres? A 'past it' Eto'o? A 'never was that good' Ba? A one-legged Falcao? Playboy Pato? Wow! Stiff competition there, even if it were true..........

It is true.  And yes it should make you think.

I note you don't name a better CF for us since DD 2012.

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

.  There won't be much of a transfer fee - especially if he wants to keep his current wages.  

I'm sure they'll be able to afford him , particularly if they do sell Griezman (sp) as the tabloids keep talking up.

We probably still owe them something too and perhaps they can write that off to enable the deal to look a bit sweeter for them.

4 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Although correct in some regard, it's also rather misleading. With the form Costa was in for the first half of the season dropping him was never going to happen, and why would it? Thus naturally, chances were going to be limited for anyone else to stake a claim. In saying that, there's been games where Conte could have made a change and opted to go with another alternative - Hazard, RLC. That for me is where Conte's fallen a little short. Now we're in a pickle where our reserve forward has barely any match fitness or rhythm to call upon, while possibly not being at the level the coach wants, at a time when we really need a change up front.

In saying that, hopefully Costa doesn't get a run vs Spurs and we go with Bats. 

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

??  If you want to ask best to wait and see, then perhaps you yourself shouldn't be speculating on him moving at all?  Best wait and see, yeah?

Talking about the fee - the point that YOU raised, and that I responded to. Short term memory loss, or just being slippery again? Sorry, but you're going to have to try a lot harder than that.

I note you don't name a better CF for us since DD 2012.

Is that what I was supposed to do? Not the point YOU made, or I responded to (again).  And do try to keep up here - I'm talking about the Costa that's been wearing the shirt since JANUARY THIS SEASON. Which is always what I've referred to, and what you desperately try to change when you're drowning.

Pointless even attempting to have a sensible discussion with you on this. You used to be worth the effort, but not any more. I'm done.