• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Official: Chelsea Sign Diego Costa

12 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

This is a very good read on Diego. Helps to explain the man, where he comes from, and the difficulties in controlling him:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2707078-a-wild-horse-never-forgets-the-great-contradiction-of-diego-costa

It's a longer version of a similar article The Guardian ran just before the last World Cup

Edited by Bob Singleton

So what has happened.

I guess the reason no one else is writing about Costa now is that none of us are sure.

3 or 4 months ago a lot of people were sure that he was off to China or AM this summer, with the implication that one or other had bid up for him.  

Now it looks like he has nowhere to go and the club/Conte have told him to Fxxx off.  At least that fits the facts, even if it fits none of the previous theories.

My guess it that Costa has done something serious to upset the club, but they are keeping it secret.  (Kinda like Evagate, only this time no one has any interest in speculating).  Turning up fat and unfit was acceptable 2 years ago, so it is hard to know what it could be this year.  Failed internal drugs tests?  Insulted Conte at a training session?  Who knows (maybe nobblybobbly can dig out the story).

It leaves a few questions.  

1. When did it all kick off?
  2. Were the Costa off rumours put out by club, by the player and agent or just a misunderstanding of what actually happened?
  3. Why did Conte continue to pick Costa ahead of Bats if he wanted Costa gone (Bats started just 1 PL game yet got 5 goals in something like 200 odd mins)?
  4. Why did Costa play flat out for the rest of the season? (Argue what you like about his post Xmas form, but he was certainly trying and he never looked like a player who wanted out.  Maybe he was trying to get back in again?)
  5. What will Costa do next?
  6. Was the Conte contract renewal linked to Costagate?

Views?

My guess is Conte wants to retain the Premier League title and win the Champions league.

To do that you simply do not need someone agitating for a move twice a year and playing like he's not interested for a third of a season .

Conte is the consummate professional and will not have the tail wagging the dog.

In Contes eyes the player made it perfectly clear he wanted out so Conte made that happen.

No shenanigans , no subterfuge , no hidden meanings .

A man who by his own admission was making 'cold' decisions made one.

Zoowraa   
10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

My guess is Conte wants to retain the Premier League title and win the Champions league.

To do that you simply do not need someone agitating for a move twice a year and playing like he's not interested for a third of a season .

Conte is the consummate professional and will not have the tail wagging the dog.

In Contes eyes the player made it perfectly clear he wanted out so Conte made that happen.

I suspect you are right. I don't think there is anything hidden in this, merely a case of a player not being settled in the country for 3 years now, coupled with a manager who probably found him difficult to manage at times too.

Conte coming from a strong position and no point prolonging his exit any longer, we have got 3 seasons out of him.

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

So what has happened.

I guess the reason no one else is writing about Costa now is that none of us are sure.

3 or 4 months ago a lot of people were sure that he was off to China or AM this summer, with the implication that one or other had bid up for him.  

Now it looks like he has nowhere to go and the club/Conte have told him to Fxxx off.  At least that fits the facts, even if it fits none of the previous theories.

My guess it that Costa has done something serious to upset the club, but they are keeping it secret.  (Kinda like Evagate, only this time no one has any interest in speculating).  Turning up fat and unfit was acceptable 2 years ago, so it is hard to know what it could be this year.  Failed internal drugs tests?  Insulted Conte at a training session?  Who knows (maybe nobblybobbly can dig out the story).

It leaves a few questions.  

1. When did it all kick off?
  2. Were the Costa off rumours put out by club, by the player and agent or just a misunderstanding of what actually happened?
  3. Why did Conte continue to pick Costa ahead of Bats if he wanted Costa gone (Bats started just 1 PL game yet got 5 goals in something like 200 odd mins)?
  4. Why did Costa play flat out for the rest of the season? (Argue what you like about his post Xmas form, but he was certainly trying and he never looked like a player who wanted out.  Maybe he was trying to get back in again?)
  5. What will Costa do next?
  6. Was the Conte contract renewal linked to Costagate?

Views?

Costa only has "nowhere to go" because the only place he seemingly wants to go to is currently banned from registering new players. I'm sure Costa and/or his agents would have known that. In spite of this, it seems (according to Conte) that three times during the season he made it clear that he wanted to leave. I'm sure Conte would also have been aware of Costa's previous rumblings of discontent under other managers prior to him becoming manager.

Conte is a man with a steely determination who puts the team ahead of individuals. Costa has told him more than once that he wanted to leave, and Conte called his bluff, if indeed it were a bluff, and said, 'fine, go... you won't be needed here next season'

If Costa was told this back in January, I suspect you may be right that his 'fighting attitude' in subsequent games was Costa's way of trying to get back in with Conte and the club.

However, the whys and wherefores are immaterial... the manager has put his foot down, and the club have backed him in that decision. For all the past stories (going back many seasons now) of alleged changing room discontent and 'player-power' resulting in the sacking of several managers (however steeped in untruth those stories may be), all the papers can really write about in this instance, is of a manager stamping his authority regarding a troublesome figure at the club and being backed by the owner... and for that we must, for once, be thankful.

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Spot on, Mark.

Ham   
4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Nail on head. 👍

53 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Comedy gold. 

You're the guy who claimed he was 100% certain to be in China or AM by now.  
We know Conte wanted rid, we know Conte picked him for all but one late game, knowing he was on his way, what do you find funny?