Harvz

Official: Chelsea Sign Diego Costa

1,200 posts in this topic

Good signing as long as we have an alternative. Preferably one that plays in a completely different style so that they are a credible tactical replacement as opposed to two similar strikers duking it out for the one spot.

(Edit: Oh crap. I genuinely forgot about Torres there for a second. It was nice.)

Good signing as long as we have an alternative. Preferably one that plays in a completely different style so that they are a credible tactical replacement as opposed to two similar strikers duking it out for the one spot.

(Edit: Oh crap. I genuinely forgot about Torres there for a second. It was nice.)

At worst we can play Fabregas there

This will be a good signing. Scored over 30 goals in a team built to suit him - like we are. Only 25, good attitude, good work rate. Power, strength, movement. Jose will improve him too. In last two seasons only Ronaldo and Messi have outscored him in La Liga. He will need time to adapt, and I hope the fans are patient to understand that - even Drogba took a year or so to truly adapt.

I just hope Chelsea fans are willing to give him that time to settle. But him arriving now and likely having former team-mates Tiago and Luis will help him settle quicker.

Need someone else, and we are looking I'm sure. Ba is going and Eto'o has gone, so likely Torres will stay as third choice (which is hilarious, but understandable for marketing purposes, and given we'll struggle to sell him). I can cope with Torres as third choice though.

Good luck Costa.

Edited by James Prescott

We have become so cynical about strikers. We expect them to either be instant successes, or to be complete flops. We've been burned twice, and we seem to have no patience with players. Drogba took time to settle, Henry wasn't what he was later in his first season in England. I say give him a bit of time, and don't expect 50 goals before Christmas and blinding performances in every single game, or have impossible expectations, or assume the worst and look for criticisms.

Let's be positive and look for the positives. Unlike Sheva and Torres, we aren't buying when he's a massive world star. He's on his way, but his best years might well be ahead of him. Even with Torres, in hindsight, his best years were the two at Liverpool before his big injury.

Buying Falcao now would have been the equivalent of Sheva and Torres when we bought them IMO. Buying Costa now is the smart move.

We have become so cynical about strikers. We expect them to either be instant successes, or to be complete flops. We've been burned twice, ...

Depends when you start counting. :)

Mourinho's man. Good or bad, I believe this is the signing that will define his 'second coming'.

Cavani, Falcao, Suarez, Rooney, Lewandowski - All are either insanely expensive or unavailable. Mandzukic is the only other striker I can think of who has a goal return record and is in his prime.

Barring him, Diego Costa was the only meaningful alternative. Apparently there are question marks on the exact fee we paid - could be closer to 40 m.

In any case, it is a great deal. What we get out of it, we can only wait and watch.

Not overly excited.

Gives us an alternative and dynamic we are lacking, true but from what I've seen struggles against compact and well drilled defences. Playing us in the CL a prime example.

Much more excited about the Pogba for Lukaku rumour. Then we would have genuine options up front....

Shame Mueller signed an extension with Bayern. Was hoping with Lewandowski Munich bound he may have been available.

Think he'd fit in here like a very svelte glove....

Still though, Costa provides us with something we've been missing - genuine grit and presence upfront.

Must say I am too excited by the Pogba rumours though not getting carried away. I'll believe it when I see it.

Edited by King José

I love this signing and I hope things work out for him as he has the tools to be a successful striker playing in the league and mostly important is that we have a striker that would stay in the box and attack any chance created by the team.