Harvz

Official: Chelsea Sign Diego Costa

1,212 posts in this topic

This guy will be a beast for us, mark my words! Superb player, improved incredibly over the last few years! If Jose can cut out his bad points, then even better. If he doesn't, expect a lot of yellow cards and the odd red. He's gonna piss off a lot of people with his antics, though, but as said hopefully Jose can iron out those flaws.

And I'm amazed at some of the negativity! Surely you've seen how he's been for Atletico? He's 25, built like a beast, scores goals, holds the ball up well, he's pretty quick, he's an absolute warrior on the pitch, works his ass off, gives absolutely everything the entire game! He is a serious Jose player, he really is. Do I expect him to score Messi/naldo amounts? Not at all, but he's a serious, serious upgrade on Torres etc - now we need to try and get shot of Torres, either keep Lukaku or sell him, and get another striker or two, which also depends on Ba.

We will fall in love with this guy, but the opposition will hate him I imagine. But that doesn't say a lot.

It's funny, about a year ago I had a chat with Scott Minto about Costa, and I was saying he's seriously a Jose player, and Scott wasn't so sure.... :)

Put that ball in the box and any defender who tries to get it first can expect some bruises, which is as it should be.

I have my concerns- his recent injuries, relatively poor form over the last six months, the lack of demonstrable goal scoring pedigree over his career as a whole,

Indeed.

I sincerely hope Costa has me laughing at myself in six months.

We all do.

Poor form over the last 6 months?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I know he had an injury for a while towards the end of the season, but poor form?!?!

Regarding goal scoring pedigree, I give you Didier Drogba before he joined Chelsea. I may be wrong, but the two players' records could be similar, if not Costa being slightly better, especially at Atletico V Drogba at OM. I think it's a fair'ish comparison. Both scoring at lesser clubs, then joining a bigger club and scoring a hell of a lot, which Costa has already done at Atletico, and of course which is more top level than OM.

We have become so cynical about strikers. We expect them to either be instant successes, or to be complete flops.

I don't know who you are talking about; but it isn't Chelsea fans. Even an abject flop like Torres has had far more support than he ever deserved.

Poor form over the last 6 months?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I know he had an injury for a while towards the end of the season, but poor form?!?!

"Relatively poor form" is the actual phrase TVF used. Which, along with his career scoring records, raise some doubt as to what his "level" is.

I would say it is unlikely that his "level" is the purple patch he had up until xmas. I will be delighted to be proved wrong, however.

Wasn't aimed at you. I can't seem to quote on here.

Wasn't aimed at you. I can't seem to quote on here.

Fair enough.

TBF I do think his form dipped in the second half of the season and share most of TVF's reservations as well as TVF's hope to be proved wrong.

In all honesty, I was working from a few articles I've read that say his goal tally dropped off from January. I haven't fact-checked and a lack of goals may not be indicative of poor performances. I didn't watch Atletico too often last season, but I was impressed more with them in the first two thirds of the season than I was towards the end (I guess the season started to take its toll). Perhaps the impression I have isn't borne out by the performances.

I don't have the courage of conviction to predict either good or bad things- I'm not saying I'm unimpressed, or that I expect Costa to fail. I just have reservations. There are qualities he may indeed have that I just haven't been watching closely enough to see and likewise, it may just have been plain bad luck that I have been paying attention just as he's done something I'm less keen on.

It does concern me that his truly impressive goalscoring exploits have, so far in his career, been limited to quite a small period of time.

Not overly excited.

Gives us an alternative and dynamic we are lacking, true but from what I've seen struggles against compact and well drilled defences. Playing us in the CL a prime example.

Much more excited about the Pogba for Lukaku rumour. Then we would have genuine options up front....

How would selling a striker and getting a midfielder give us more options upfront? By freeing up others to play further up?

Happy with costa finally, agree we need more options. Think we are stuck with torres therefore want us to tame or cash in lukaku.