Harvz

Official: Chelsea Sign Diego Costa

1,284 posts in this topic

"Relatively poor form" is the actual phrase TVF used. Which, along with his career scoring records, raise some doubt as to what his "level" is.

I would say it is unlikely that his "level" is the purple patch he had up until xmas. I will be delighted to be proved wrong, however.

Sadly I'm finding myself more and more in this corner. I'm not gonna say it's a **** signing, but I'm certainly not overly excited.

For the rumoured fee (I suppose anything between £32-40m) I struggle to feel any elevation at all. Hard worker - yes. Runs all game - yes. Tough motherf****r to play against? Absolutely.

But is he what we need? A battering ram? Maybe his inclusion will free up space for the three tucked behind. But as a player I'm utterly unconvinced.

You raise a good point and Bridgejunky has mentioned similar points about other players JM the past - what is his "true" level? Is it those 6 months you mention or is the rest of his career more representative of his ability? Has he improved to such an extent those 6 months is what we should expect going forward?

I find myself with a lot more questions than answers but I do hope he'll answer them all in a positive manner in due course.

I have my doubts. Ecstatic to be proven wrong. Like I was with Cahill and Schurrle.

For the rumoured fee (I suppose anything between £32-40m) I struggle to feel any elevation at all. Hard worker - yes. Runs all game - yes. Tough motherf****r to play against?

I'd guess that the fee would end up being very slightly more than the buyout clause.

Activating the clause would cost a lot more than the buyout amount once taxation is factored in, and if it is clear the player wants to go there is little point in the selling club forcing the clause to be met- they won't get any of the extra money.

Far better to sell for just above the selling clause- the buyer gets their player for a lot less than they would if they took the buyout route, the seller gets a little more than they would have done had they been obstinate. The buyer gets to say they met the clause and nothing more, the seller gets to say they held out for the clause. Everyone wins.

What the buyout clause was though, who knows.

Edited by thevelourfog

Meh.

Had one good full season in Spain, which is also the only season he's scored more than 10 league goals (in a three-team league), also highly flammable. For £32m, if he doesn't hit the ground running he could be more trouble than he's worth.

Then again, Jose hasn't exactly the best track record buying strikers for us over the years, so he's due an another one.

Then again, Jose hasn't exactly the best track record buying strikers for us over the years, so he's due an another one.

Kezman, Drogba, Kalou (if you think he was a striker and a JM signing), and Eto'o on a free.

We got our money back on Kezman after a year, Kalou as £4m or less, Eto'o free, and I think we got our money's worth from Drogba.

And I forgot Pizarro, also on a free, who was a hell of a player for other clubs afterwards.

So I am struggling to understand what you mean.

Normally it's me with the half glass empty. I mean as said, Drogba when he came here wasn't a goal machine exactly, and hadn't exactly set the world alight, albeit doing well at OM. This is a bit similar to Costa, yet clearly he flourished at Atletico. I don't see why at 25 he can't come to the Premier League and do extremely well. Still, I think this is one of the best striker signings we've had for quite some time.

Can you imagine what it would be like to have a striker who scores 30 plus league goals a season? It's been such a long time. Dixon?

Kezman, Drogba, Kalou (if you think he was a striker and a JM signing), and Eto'o on a free.

We got our money back on Kezman after a year, Kalou as £4m or less, Eto'o free, and I think we got our money's worth from Drogba.

And I forgot Pizarro, also on a free, who was a hell of a player for other clubs afterwards.

So I am struggling to understand what you mean.

Did he not also sign Diego Millito and Eto'o whilst at inter? I could be wrong but I'm sure he signed them both.

For the sake of nailing my colours to the mast - I think he's going to be brilliant.

A goal before a suspension will help...

I don't know who you are talking about; but it isn't Chelsea fans. Even an abject flop like Torres has had far more support than he ever deserved.

No? Some Chelsea fans on this site acted like they wanted him to fail from day one. They never even gave him a chance. At the very least, they jumped on the bandwagon very quickly. Fans at the ground have always been behind him, and still are. The roar when he scored his first goal for us was the loudest I have ever heard at the Bridge, and I've been going since 1983 and seen us win the title there.

But here? Not so much. The vast majority supported him, but there were some who acted like they never wanted him to succeed IMO.

Nevertheless, that's all the past. No point talking about what's gone. Now we have Costa, and we need to all get behind him and give him time.

And as Juan Mata Dor says, I see major similarities between him and Drogba, for many, many reasons. And Costa wasn't that bad in the second half of the season - total myth. He wasn't so good last few games when he was injured - and he wasn't fully recovered for the WC IMO too. But overall he was a beast last year, just what we need, far better than anything we have.

Edited by James Prescott

Normally it's me with the half glass empty. I mean as said, Drogba when he came here wasn't a goal machine exactly, and hadn't exactly set the world alight, albeit doing well at OM. This is a bit similar to Costa, yet clearly he flourished at Atletico. I don't see why at 25 he can't come to the Premier League and do extremely well. Still, I think this is one of the best striker signings we've had for quite some time.

Yes. Totally. He will do excellent here IMO.