Harvz

Official: Chelsea Sign Diego Costa

1,212 posts in this topic

^^^^^^

I don't think that Costa was as 'effective' after January, as he was during the first half of the season. For me, there were a number of contributing factors: 1) His injury absences, obviously. 2) Coming back from those injuries, he seemed to me to be doing a bit of 'hammy management' himself during games (not pushing himself). 3) Arguably the most important factor here - we completely changed the way we set up and approached games after the Spurs debacle. We know that it worked in terms of winning the Prem, but it didn't do Costa any favours, imo. Or any of our strikers, for that matter. Before January, we were moving the ball quickly and finding Costa's runs in and into the area. Afterwards, we moved the ball much more cautiously, and slowly - and Costa (along with Drogba and Remy) spent much more time out wide, and deeper, than they did driving into the area.

True dat

^^^^^^

I don't think that Costa was as 'effective' after January, as he was during the first half of the season. For me, there were a number of contributing factors: 1) His injury absences, obviously. 2) Coming back from those injuries, he seemed to me to be doing a bit of 'hammy management' himself during games (not pushing himself). 3) Arguably the most important factor here - we completely changed the way we set up and approached games after the Spurs debacle. We know that it worked in terms of winning the Prem, but it didn't do Costa any favours, imo. Or any of our strikers, for that matter. Before January, we were moving the ball quickly and finding Costa's runs in and into the area. Afterwards, we moved the ball much more cautiously, and slowly - and Costa (along with Drogba and Remy) spent much more time out wide, and deeper, than they did driving into the area.

That has always been our problem of not servicing the strikers enough. The half season when Costa was flying was a breath of fresh air and a joy to watch. After that we resorted back to our old self where we didn't know how to pass forward quickly enough and this has been plaguing us for years.

^^^^^^

That has always been our problem of not servicing the strikers enough. The half season when Costa was flying was a breath of fresh air and a joy to watch. After that we resorted back to our old self where we didn't know how to pass forward quickly enough and this has been plaguing us for years.

Both excellent ways of defining the influence the team set up and style of play can also impact on how effective individual players can be...

charged by the FA with violent conduct, 3 match ban to follow

charged by the FA with violent conduct, 3 match ban to follow

Incredible. Despite getting a yellow card, which normally means they "can't do anything as the referee saw it"

Incredible. Despite getting a yellow card, which normally means they "can't do anything as the referee saw it"

Must be for the Kos situation. Just accept it ASAP so that Walsall can count as one.

Quel supris another charge. Next I hope actually punches someone full-on and at least leave more of a mark.

Maybe its ok getting the oppo sent off but not if your head stays hot and you risk following them, where is the advantage then.

He has to be calmed down a bit but this kangaroo court process in response to wengers bleating is a joke. The was a time Vierra was putting the frightners on the oppo.

How long until wenger demands a rematch against that terrible chelsea team with the players who scare his players