• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bridgejunky

Read Jose's Mind Feedback Thread

RJMC I Feedback Poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see The Read Jose's Mind Challenge Return for a second season during 2014/15?

2. 2. If the RJMC does return, would you like it to include a head-to-head knock-out competition as it did during 2013/14?

3. 3. If the RJMC does return, would you like it to include a Champions' League style competition, featuring group fixtures, as it did during 2013/14?

4. 4. Are you in favour of the proposal that if the RJMC returns, members should be limited to an original prediction and one update only? (During 2013/14 members were allowed unlimited updates.)

5. 5. During RJMC I the deadline for predictions was two hours before kick-off. If the challenge returns what would you like the deadline to be?

• 120 minutes before kick-off (As 2013/14)
    • 90 minutes before kick-off
    • 75 minutes before kick-off
  6. 6. If the head-to-head knock out cup returns, would you like to see home advantage applied to all rounds before the semi-final? (It applied to qualifying rounds only during 2013/14)

The World Cup is over and we can now give our full attention to the coming season so I'd like to ask for feedback on The Read Jose's Mind Challenge.

If you are interested in giving your opinions then please do so by answering the questions in the poll and by posting any other ideas or suggestions below. Please also feel free to argue the case for any suggestions you make or to post your reasons for voting as you have.

If there is to be an RJMC II, I would like to finalise the rules on Monday 11th August so get any ideas in before then.

Thank you,

Stan.

Can't wait for this again Stan!

My only suggestion would be that the deadline for entries should be a day before kick off. I think it's possibly a good idea given it reduces the likelihood that information is released regarding the team maybe 3 hours beforehand, and anyone who is not awake (I.e. people in Australia!) don't have the chance to alter their team selection.

It is still late enough to have all the information from press conferences etc. and also rewards people who believe they have the inside word on a niggling injury that maybe wouldn't have come out till the next day.

Just an idea but I really think that it evens the playing field slightly.

Thanks for all your efforts mate!

Vinod   

Really looking forward to this one. Started way too late last season and missed some games after getting some decent points.

Hoping I stay on this through the season.

Can't wait for this again Stan!

My only suggestion would be that the deadline for entries should be a day before kick off. I think it's possibly a good idea given it reduces the likelihood that information is released regarding the team maybe 3 hours beforehand, and anyone who is not awake (I.e. people in Australia!) don't have the chance to alter their team selection.

It is still late enough to have all the information from press conferences etc. and also rewards people who believe they have the inside word on a niggling injury that maybe wouldn't have come out till the next day.

Just an idea but I really think that it evens the playing field slightly.

Thanks for all your efforts mate!

I'm afraid that's the price you have to pay for being the great grandson of someone who once stole a loaf of bread! LOL ;-)

I'm afraid that's the price you have to pay for being the great grandson of someone who once stole a loaf of bread! LOL ;-)

Haha yeah I'll cop that.

In all seriousness though I think it reduces the chance that the team is released slightly earlier and then everyone ends up posting the same team.

If you're up for it, please go ahead again. You did an absolutely top-notch job last year!

Hi Stan,

Firstly, a big thanks for the work and effort you put into the competition. Much appreciated.

I lost a little interest in it towards the final quarter of the season. To be honest, this was not down to the competition, more down to it became a little pointless as it was the same 11 players playing every games for a period of 8-10 games. My frustrations were more with the manager there.

One change I would be in favour of is only one entry allowed. We all follow the club and have a good idea on who is available to play and who isn't. I found it a little frustrating on occasions last year that I could enter a team and get 11/11, but because someone had already altered their team 3 times before I entered with my first effort, they picked up the bonus points for getting 11/11 because they posted first.

I think one entry would provide a better competition too. If you get off to an indifferent start, it allows you some chance to make up ground as most games people tend to get a score of at least 7 out of 11. The changes then come based on snippets heard at press conferences etc.

So I would like to see a harder competition of one entry with a relatively early deadline for posting the deadline. Maybe something like 48hrs before Kick Off.

Scores will fluctuate more if people are encourage to enter earlier and no amendments allowed.

These are my views, but again, thanks for the hard work put in on this last season.

Thanks Zoowraa.

I'll be changing both the number of points awarded for achieving the top score and who gets it. There will be six points for the top but these will be shared by all members equalling the highest number of hits: -

An outright top = 6 points.

Joint top of two = 3 points each.

Joint top of three = 2 points each.

Joint top of four = 1.5 points each.

Joint top of five = 1.2 points each.

Joint top of six = 1 point each.

And so on dividing by six.

The reason I set up the original method of awarding the bonus to the first poster was to encourage people to post early. As far as that goes, I think that worked quite well but I quickly came to feel that it was unfair in a number of ways which is why I'm changing it.

I confess I'm surprised by some of the voting. I had expected, that people would want to reduce the deadline not increase it and I thought people would prefer to keep the unlimited entries. Indeed I only really included the proposal to limit members to two entries because I promised that I would. Shows what I know. :)

The support for a forty-eight hour deadline is especially interesting. Since it wasn't one of the voting options, I'll look to follow this up.

As the defending league and CL (or was it the normal Cup?!?) champion I thought of throw in my thoughts as well;)

I'm all for keeping the deadline. It's about reading Jose's mind sure but it's still a skill to be able to real all available signals out there:) By moving the deadline to 48h before you eliminate that. Not to mention that we're bound to be effed over by the FA and only have 48h between games at some stage next season!!!

2h before kick-off is an excellent cutting point. Of course some people will (on very few occasions) be at a disadvantage due to the time difference. However, that was something that continuously had me at a disadvantage cause the new prediction threads was often opened between 11pm GMT and midnight meaning that I was already asleep in my time zone...

I am massively in favour of changing the best XI away from the first and towards a model where the top members share the points. How many extra points will you get for a full XI?

One disadvantage with doing this is of course that a member can just "cancel out" another members prediction. Perhaps there can still be some sort of point advantage for the first member to predict a correct starting XI?

As for how many predictions one can make. I think last years no-limit approach was too lenient. I'd definitely not back "one prediction only" as that would leave far too much up to chance and remove some of the skill in the process. A member should be allowed at least one update in my view. More than three would be too many.

Finally, I voted no to keeping the RJMCL. Far too many members did not take it seriously and had us quite a few dead-rubber games. I just don't think the extra time you have to put into it can be justified.

I'm all for keeping the deadline. It's about reading Jose's mind sure but it's still a skill to be able to real all available signals out there:) By moving the deadline to 48h before you eliminate that. Not to mention that we're bound to be effed over by the FA and only have 48h between games at some stage next season!!!

2h before kick-off is an excellent cutting point. Of course some people will (on very few occasions) be at a disadvantage due to the time difference. However, that was something that continuously had me at a disadvantage cause the new prediction threads was often opened between 11pm GMT and midnight meaning that I was already asleep in my time zone...

Completely agree with this, think 48h is a bit too far in advance, and people will likely lose interest if they continuously miss the deadline.

Also, one tweak I'd like to suggest is that you- Bridgejunky- also take part in the competition as well!! I think we all trust you to be unbiased and not sneak an extra point here and there!

Just to bump this one up again a little bit, I agree 48hrs is too far in advance, but I don't think 24 hours is unreasonable, given that would cover press conferences and give people two days to get a team in if we only have a three day break...