• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holymoly

MOTD

Holymoly   

Breaking news Dumb and Dumber (aka Phil "Gormless" Neville and Rio "The Slack Jaw Camel" Ferdinand) been signed up for MOTD next season, along with Ruud Gullit. Brace yourselves for some alarming insights. It also suggests that Harry ain't going to get much value for money from his "star" centre back down at Loftus Road.

Breaking news Dumb and Dumber (aka Phil "Gormless" Neville and Rio "The Slack Jaw Camel" Ferdinand) been signed up for MOTD next season, along with Ruud Gullit. Brace yourselves for some alarming insights. It also suggests that Harry ain't going to get much value for money from his "star" centre back down at Loftus Road.

What a coup....

...for Sky :)

Must have impressed the BBC with their 'contributions' in the World Cup.

One you can't hear when listening to, the other you can't bear when listening to.

The worst performance from England internationals on telly since Hoddle and Waddle's Diamond Lights TOTP cringefest....maybe they'll make a record together :)

bert19   

What a coup....

...for Sky :)

Must have impressed the BBC with their 'contributions' in the World Cup.

One you can't hear when listening to, the other you can't bear when listening to.

The worst performance from England internationals on telly since Hoddle and Waddle's Diamond Lights TOTP cringefest....maybe they'll make a record together :)

You didn't watch England during the World Cup then? Hoddle & Waddle were much better than that sh*te.

MOTD has gone from being very missable to almost "have to avoid" most weeks now then. They're even managing to spoil having Ruud Gullit on there FFS! (Wonder how long it'll be before he's back at SkySports?)

From the BBC: "Howard Webb will explain key referee decisions to fans".http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28690591

Now that would be an interesting regulator slot for MOTD: might even think of replacing Camel and Gormless with a far better informed comedy spot: Howard and Hullit (or should it be Webb and Wooed?).

From the BBC: "Howard Webb will explain key referee decisions to fans".http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28690591

Now that would be an interesting regulator slot for MOTD: might even think of replacing Camel and Gormless with a far better informed comedy spot: Howard and Hullit (or should it be Webb and Wooed?).

Oh dear.

I have always argued that refs coming out and explaining themselves is a nightmare in the making, not progress.

They get stuff wrong. Trying to explain why they got it wrong is going to make them look idiots. Admitting they get stuff wrong gains them nothing.

Worst of all will be the likes of Lawrenson or Linekar or Shearer trying to agree and thank Webb for giving some total bull explanation of another ref's cock-up.

chara   

Webb will not really explain mistakes.. more in the "This is why he was right" line of approach...at least over here I won't have to put up with MOTD "experts"...there are enough here already although very rarely as bad as the lot I read about on here...My wife often admonishes me for not having the sound on whilst watching a game..just enough to get the crowd background but not so loud I can really hear the commentators....works for me....

Holymoly   

Interesting listening to Colina when he was on SkySports explaining refereeing decisions though

Tend to agree. If refs have the obligation to be transparent and justify their sometimes ostensibly weird rationale, it might just motivate them to do better. Also, it improves the game for me to understand the whys and wherefores of reffing, and might do a service to others, too - and before you suggest I get out more, I sit in front of a barrack room lawyer in the Shed lower, whose cries of "That's a Pen", "Rubbish" and in one match "That's the tenth def red card this match - disgraceful" drive me clean up the wall.

cam4blue   

Tend to agree. If refs have the obligation to be transparent and justify their sometimes ostensibly weird rationale, it might just motivate them to do better.

It does the opposite.

Very few mistakes made by refs are mistakes in isolation; most of them can be explained away by some section or other of the rules of the game or a sympathetic voice, even the most blatant (for a great example see the media reaction to Foy's performance for QPR against us; plenty of media outlets boiled it down to "penalty was a bit harsh but you've seen them given, both reds were spot-on" which misses the fact that it was 90 minutes of unbridled bias, a systematic destruction of a game of football).

The reason they are mistakes is because they don't fit in with what refs are doing in every other game. The problem is consistency. When you see a red card given for something that happens in almost every game, all an ex-ref is going to do is say "by the letter of the law he's well within his rights..." (especially if the ex-ref in question is also a stuck-up ex-copper), which feeds the problem rather than fixing it. It justifies the inconsistency of refs, and they will never improve while they have that free pass.