• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

NK Schalke 0 Chelsea 5

Barely ever played right back for us though.

Like Droy said - he could have played anywhere.

For me, he's the best defender we've ever had. Yes - above JT, Desailly and Riccy C. I rated him that highly.

Of course, the way he left was a bit sad. He complained before Roman took over that we didn't buy good enough players to compete and flirted with Arsenal back in 2001-02. Then Roman came along and we bought Riccy. Then he complained he wasn't first choice CB and left for Arsenal anyways.

In hindsight, I'm sure he regretted that decision.

Blue Rod   

Like Droy said - he could have played anywhere.

For me, he's the best defender we've ever had. Yes - above JT, Desailly and Riccy C. I rated him that highly.

Of course, the way he left was a bit sad. He complained before Roman took over that we didn't buy good enough players to compete and flirted with Arsenal back in 2001-02. Then Roman came along and we bought Riccy. Then he complained he wasn't first choice CB and left for Arsenal anyways.

In hindsight, I'm sure he regretted that decision.

Absolutely.

Gallas regretted leaving us. I'm sure he did. He lost a lot for leaving, and we lost for him not staying. A lesson for players and clubs.

Azpilicueta shows glimpses of Gallas. Hope the ending is not the same.

Zoowraa   

Billy was a fantastic player, but bit of a knob to be honest.

Chelsea gave him a platform when he signed, he was soon moaning and being quoted in the media not long after he joined us. He seemed to always feel that the grass was greener elsewhere to me, felt like he was doing Chelsea the favour by him playing for us.

The same moans and whinges carried out when he headed off to Arsenal too. Who can forgot his baby tantrum sat on the pitch at Birmingham after an Arsenal collapse.

Brilliant player, but could never love the guy as their always seemed something he was not happy about.

^ Not to forget his absolutely shocking command of the English language! Years after he'd joined us you'd still have no clue what he was on about when interviewed!

I always got the impression that he wasn't too clever or intelligent. Just a damn fine footballer.

He just mumbled and smiled.

THAT celebration after he scored THAT goal against Spurs:)

Gallas, for me. If he had not thrown a wobbly and left, we would have won 3 in a row, and who knows, 4 PL titles. He was the TOTAL defender.

Yep, I was a big Gallas fan too.

Great attitude until he claimed he would score an own goal against us if he wore the Chelsea shirt again.

To be fair he denied saying that (despite many witnesses hearing it) and in fact said he would sue the club for alleging it (the legal papers still haven't arrived though William).

It was a shame he turned so odd at the end because he was one hell of a player. He did something really strange at Arsenal not long after but I can't remember exactly what.

I think it is easy to come up with a discussion which all sides could make their claims on.

Gallas - let me go or I won't play for you

Board person - you have to play if we pick you, it is in your contract

Gallas - but you can't make me play

Board - yes we can

Gallas - you can't pick me if I don't want to be picked, I might just score an own goal

Now I don't think that that is a threat, but plenty might claim it was a threat. To be honest, to quote a footballer, not a professional speaker or lawyer, without the full context and in what must have been a private conversation was a very bad thing for the club to have done. To do it anonymously was even worse. The club looked very bad over this IMO.

Gallas at Arsenal - When Wenger's teams need a goal they wind up the tension higher and higher till something breaks. Think Keown. Sometimes they break themselves, but very often it is the oppo. Gallas as an over-emotional captain in that team probably worked, though obviously he took the blame when it didn't.

He did pull off a sit down protest at Birmingham after the Eduardo injury and a penalty had been given against them. But despite speculation he kept the captaincy, and I reckon that his captaincy style was probably just what Arsenal needed.