• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super Didier

14/15 Premiership Champions

Not sure if there's a thread elsewhere for this but thought it'd be good to have a discussion solely on the title race, upcoming fixtures for us & City etc.

Looking at our fixtures over Christmas is a bit daunting tbh:

Stoke (a)

West Ham (h)

Southampton (a)

Tottenham (a)

We've just got to assume we're going to drop points somewhere there. Three tough away games in the space of 10 days, that's just completely unfair and I really hope/expect Jose to talk about this in his PCs in the next few weeks. Mark Hughes has his Stoke team set up well but I think with such a long rest we should and probably need to get a win there. West Ham can be a risky fixture, no guarantees there but a home game we need to win. Its the next two games which scare me most.

Looking at City's

Crystal Palace (h)

West Brom (a)

Burnley (h)

Sunderland (h)

That's probably against four of the worst teams in the league, 3 of them are at home and they've already won 5 on the trot. I don't think its an exaggeration to say that we could easily be second going into the second half of the season. That would be a huge disappointment considering we've led the way the entire year but the Sunderland/Newcastle games have thrown us right back into the dogfight w/ City.

United are only 8 points away from us so here are their fixtures:

Aston Villa (a)

Newcastle (h)

Spurs (a)

Stoke (a)

Not sure if they should be a considered a threat here but they've got a similar deal to us with 3 away games and I just can't see them not dropping points somewhere along the line.

I didn't realise three of our Christmas games were away. I always assumed everybody had two home and two away? That doesn't seem fair.

The other thing I don't like is how the Stoke game has been moved to a Monday night. First off, it means we have two less days than some prem teams to fit the four games in, and west ham have two extra days to prepare for the Boxing Day game. The Stoke game will be tricky anyway even on a Saturday afternoon, but I believe by making it a Monday night it makes it that bit tougher, evening game with added atmosphere etc.

Citeh certainly look to have an easier run over christmas but we can only concentrate on our games. I do believe though that once we get past the tottenham away game we have the better second half to the season having played all our toughest away games on paper with only arsenal away from the top and northern sides.

I haven't thought too much about utd being in the title race this season until their recent run of form, although they have been fortunate in a few of those games. I don't think they can really sustain a challenge to us or citeh over the season but it's quite frustrating to think they could be as little as 5 points behind us going into the stoke game next Monday considering how much better than them we have been so far. Think they will comfortably get top four.

Not sure if there's a thread elsewhere for this but thought it'd be good to have a discussion solely on the title race, upcoming fixtures for us & City etc.

Looking at our fixtures over Christmas is a bit daunting tbh:

Stoke (a)

West Ham (h)

Southampton (a)

Tottenham (a)

We've just got to assume we're going to drop points somewhere there. Three tough away games in the space of 10 days, that's just completely unfair and I really hope/expect Jose to talk about this in his PCs in the next few weeks. Mark Hughes has his Stoke team set up well but I think with such a long rest we should and probably need to get a win there. West Ham can be a risky fixture, no guarantees there but a home game we need to win. Its the next two games which scare me most.

We'll probably drop points at Stoke (as we often do), but I'm not too worried about the rest. Getting through those two weeks without any injuries is the most important thing. We definitely needs to rotate smartly and hope it works out, so we don't run out of steam.

City is already struggling without Aguero, and Yaya Toure should be gone for a while. If Lampard could stop playing like a boss, they might drop some points sometime, too.

United I'm not too worried about. They've somehow won a lot of matches, but have had the advantage of a high-quality offense firing on all cylinders.

Also, I don't know what they're feeding De Gea, but Courtois could do with some of it. Courtois is hands down the better allround keeper, but De Gea is producing worldies left and right... If that's not just peak form, watch out, because he's the reason for a lot of United's success.

The other thing I don't like is how the Stoke game has been moved to a Monday night. First off, it means we have two less days than some prem teams to fit the four games in, and west ham have two extra days to prepare for the Boxing Day game. The Stoke game will be tricky anyway even on a Saturday afternoon, but I believe by making it a Monday night it makes it that bit tougher, evening game with added atmosphere etc.

The FA'll do anything to keep the PL exciting, eh?

I didn't realise three of our Christmas games were away. I always assumed everybody had two home and two away? That doesn't seem fair.

I wonder if that is to allow us to have more home games during the CL knockout stages. Hope so.

Tough fixture list. Stoke will be a tough one, but might scrape through 1-0. Home matches I'm not worried about, and Southampton are in bad form right now, so we should win that. Tottenham away would be the only difficult one, but our record against them is good. Might drop two points possibly, but that's about it for me. Which means we'd still be 1 point clear if City won all their games.

City can't keep relying on Lampard. Sure they will drop points at least once, maybe twice. Palace at home aren't easy, and remember Burnley are in decent form and Sunderland can be difficult to beat on their day - and will want to make up for losing earlier this month. And remember Aguero is out for over a month, so going into January they won't be able to keep relying on Lamps to score. If they don't drop points over Christmas, they will in January, when they play Arsenal and Liverpool.

Confident we'll be at least 5-8 points clear by end of January.

United? Their defence is a shambles frankly. Without De Gea they'd have lost a lot more this season - and against a top class striker, they will be exposed. They will drop at least 4 points over Christmas, so should be 10 clear of them by New Year.

Still confident we will win it. Had a rough patch recently, but only lost one of those games, so should be fine. The mentality is there, the players are there. Costa is getting sharper and scoring again. We'll be fine.

Oh, and expect Jose to make a big point about us getting more away fixtures over Christmas, and then say "I can't say what I really think" but say how unfair it is. Another way to motivate our team and make us feel like everyone is against us.

That City Christmas schedule compared to ours....

I'll be very positively surprised if we're still top of the league after that run of games.

I think we'll still be leading after these four games, but expect it to be down to just a point. with United not far behind. We need a good run in the FA Cup like a hole in the head.

Funny how United were having a terrible season, then they win 5/6 on the trot and are title contenders. The hyperbole of the press eh?

Really, United's ridiculous array of expensive talent are simply learning to play together better and it's no surprise that they're up there.

Still think we're the best team in the league but it's obviously far closer (in quality, not just points) than the media wanted to report a month or two ago.

I wonder if that is to allow us to have more home games during the CL knockout stages. Hope so.

From March on we play 11 games in the Premier League of which just two are outside London. That must be a great advantage.

From March on we play 11 games in the Premier League of which just two are outside London. That must be a great advantage.

Depends on whether we're more likely to drop points in so-called 'fiercely contested' London derbies than we are further afield...!