• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Tottenham 5 Chelsea 3

Kezza   

How in those days does a team play 4-4-2 with only one defensive mid and a Scholes type of player in the middle? And here we have a 3 man midfield so called and we need Fabregas to defend like his life depended on it.

downtown   

How in those days does a team play 4-4-2 with only one defensive mid and a Scholes type of player in the middle? And here we have a 3 man midfield so called and we need Fabregas to defend like his life depended on it.

Didn't we play a Lampard and Maka midfield against Bayern and Barca in 2005 and whoop them? Different times I guess.

Thats the point. I will never forget Franks contribution to our club,his chelsea career was incredible and thats what makes the move too City so painful. You can't compare Mark Hughes with Lampard, He was Utd Chelsea via Barca in the same way as Fabregas, both great players but I'm talking about going down as true Chelsea legends in the mould of Ron Harris or JT.

It's interesting you mention personal goals. If it was me my personal goal would be to cement my place as a genuine chelsea legend rather than work against us. But than I speak a supporter and as I acknowledge in my opening post players and fans are not the same emotionally...that though is what sets the likes of Ron Harris and John Terry apart, it is very rare to get a player who has an affinity with their club in that way.

I felt sick when Lampard scored against us probably because in my naiveity I thought he would never put himself in a position where he had to- I should know better at my age but if thats part of Franks personal goals then so be it. What a contrast to someone like John Terry who rejected Citys huge wage offer.

You are right people choose different paths, the key word here is choice.

He did reject it eventually Baloo, but as I remember only after he gave it a lot of consideration. He didn't reject it immediately out of hand and, furthermore, he hadn't been told that he was no longer needed by ourselves either.

Kezza   

Didn't we play a Lampard and Maka midfield against Bayern and Barca in 2005 and whoop them? Different times I guess.

So what's changed? Why do we need Fabregas to do so much more now when we also have Oscar in the hole and can do his defensive share of work? This focus on defense than attack backfired against Spuds. Most relevant, why are we so reluctant to play a 2 strikers system?

He did reject it eventually Baloo, but as I remember only after he gave it a lot of consideration. He didn't reject it immediately out of hand and, furthermore, he hadn't been told that he was no longer needed by ourselves either.

That's a good point.

He certainly did not dismiss the offer out of hand. In the end I suppose it was a money isue and once Chelsea backed down and offered him what he wanted he signed with us. Lampard also had a similar episode with Inter Milan.

Gerrard has flirted with us twice and Rooney has flirted with everyone and done it at least three times during his career at Man U. Footballers are loyal to a club as long as they are treated well and paid handsomely.

downtown   

So what's changed? Why do we need Fabregas to do so much more now when we also have Oscar in the hole and can do his defensive share of work? This focus on defense than attack backfired against Spuds. Most relevant, why are we so reluctant to play a 2 strikers system?

Uhm Lampard used to do much much more than Fabregas can in a midfield 2. Superlative engine. Fabregas is slow which is why he needs a runner(Rami), a DM(Matic) and a presser(Oscar) pretty much like Pirlo around him imo. Which is why I have always said Rami will always waltz into this team. Pity about his injuries however. Not to mention Pirlo's free kicks also contributes to goals and he keeps tempo far better than Fabregas can currently.

The game against Spuds highlights exactly what we can expect should Oscar and Matic decide to have an off day at the same time.Jose did bring on Rami as a sub but although he did ok I thought his lack of match fitness showed.

Doubt Jose will ever sacrifice midfield solidity by playing 2 strikers. Even against Barca and Bayern it was always Eidur who was an AM that played in the 2 upfront. Not a striker.

tradu81   

This is a few days late but I just finally got over this result enough to jump on this forum.

The game was atrocious. We started off well,, took the lead but then failed to capitalise. We simply lost because of unforced errors and bad defending. With the exclusion of Azpilicueta, Our backline was shocking. Ivanovic actually making mistakes, Cahill and Terry to slow, unable to handle Kane. You know Cahill only got one block all game yet he keeps his place. He has been poor in the last few matches. Then Matic and Fabregas, Fabregas was not to bad but defending was bad, Matic having his worse game in a Chelsea shirt in my opinion. Then we look at Courtois, did he even make one save? Tottenham scored two very similar goals with Chelsea shirts all around them and no one tackled or blocked the shot. I wonder if Courtois could have done better with some of those goals, positioning or reaction perhaps? Oscar and Willian were also poor, we fault Oscar a lot but Willian was also not his usual self. Only players who I can say had a good game was Hazard and Costa. The rest were below par.

Mourinho said that had we got a penalty, done 2-0 up game over. Perhaps he is right but even so, 1-nil up I though game over, if you don't concede you don't lose, simple as that. Were we tired after 2 tough games against West Ham and Southampton or were we complacent? Either way, Mourinho should be blamed for this loss. He had opportunities to rest players in December but did not take that opportunity. Oscar and Willian look like tiring and we have another half a season to go. Hazard, Costa and Fabregas are over used, as is Cahill, Ivanovic and Terry. The other problem being that Schurrle and Salah are not making the most of their opportunities, but still they can do the job. Ramires, Zouma, Mikel can come in and do a good job as well so not sure why we don't use them as much especially in home games where its easier for us.

5-3 is a bad loss, its humiliating. I'm sure we will bounce back but we just let an 8 point gap slip away. January is crucial to our title credentials. We can get our lead back here but it won't be easy. We face Newcastle, Everton, Man City and Burnley at home, we also face Swansea, Aston Villa, Leicester and West Ham away plus the Capital One Cup Semi Final 1st leg away against Liverpool and PSG in the UCL. Man City have also got a tough fixture list in Jan\Feb.

Khobar   

My memory was of people getting upset because he failed to comment one way or another on the City situation - some felt that he should publicly commit straight away, which would have been a ridiculous stance when negotiating a new contract.

Into the Spurs defeat, a number of off performances of which I would pick out Cahill, although Oscar showed exactly why we play William so much. Like us at Everton, everything Spurs hit went in. Thought that given our recent decisions, Kane dived for his penalty (although Cahill was slow and suckered) and having seen Liverpool's 2 penalties against Leicester we should have had one at 1:0.

Bad day, and I'm convinced it was but a blip.must aim to win the next 5 or 6 in a row now.

paulw66   

16217qr.png

281rigy.png

3 of those in the Barca team turned up later in Chelsea colours.

that top graphic isn't correct. It was a similar system to the current one, a 4-2-3-1 with Gudjohnsen in the 10 behind Kezman.